How to Add a Layer in CapCut
CapCut is a video editing app that lets you make creative projects and videos you can post on various social media platforms. It has several innovative tools such as curves, effects, transitions, auto-captions, and overlays.
The overlay feature is particularly useful in that it lets you add new layers in the form of photos, videos, stickers, text, and similar. In this article, we’ll show you how to add a layer in CapCut on iOS and Android devices. We’ll also give you some ideas on how you can edit your layers in CapCut.
How to Add a Layer in CapCut on an iPhone
There are endless ways to edit a video. Any video-editing app will let you trim, resize, and split videos. But CapCut has some very useful and creative features, like the 3D zoom, blur, and green screen tools that you can’t find on other video editing apps. What’s more, you can squeeze three videos into one, add stickers, and insert text to a clip. This is where the overlay feature comes in.
By adding several layers to a video, you can make different grid patterns or interesting projects that you can post on TikTok, Instagram, Twitter, or any other social media platform. You can even add text on top of a video and create a short commercial. The overlay feature might seem confusing when you first start using this app, but it’s actually quite simple once you get the hang of it.
To add a layer in CapCut on your iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Open CapCut on your iPhone.
- Tap on the “New Project” banner in the upper-left corner of the screen.
- Locate the video that you want to upload and tap on the “Add” button.
- Trim and resize the video if you want.
- Decide when you want your new layer to start and pause the video there.
- Tap on the “Overlay” button on the bottom toolbar.
- Trim the new layer and make sure it starts at the right time.
The new layer is treated as a separate video, so you can edit it any way you want. At this point, you can split, speed up, and adjust the new video. There are various effects and filters you can add as well. For example, you can add masks of different shapes and aspect ratios.
If you want to add another layer on top of the first one, all you need to do is make sure you paused the video at the exact same time the first layer starts. This is what you need to do next:
- Tap on the “Add Overlay” button on the bottom toolbar.
- Select another video from your gallery.
- Go to the “Add” button in the bottom-right corner of your screen.
- Resize the video by pinching its edges and moving them across the screen.
- Edit the layer any way you want to.
- Select the upward arrow in the upper-right corner of the screen to upload your video.
- Tap on “Done.”
That’s all there is to it. From this point on, you can directly share the video you made on TikTok, WhatsApp, Facebook, Instagram, or other social media platforms.
How to Add a Layer in CapCut on an Android Device
If you’re an Android user, you can also use CapCut to edit videos. An interesting way to use the overlay feature is to add three videos and merge them into one. Here’s how it’s done:
- Open CapCut on your Android.
- Go to “New Project” in the upper-right corner of the screen.
- Select the first video that you want to upload.
- Trim and resize the video if you want to.
- If the video has a 9:16 aspect ratio, rotate it so it can fit the screen horizontally.
- Go to “Format” on the bottom toolbar and select the “16:9” aspect ratio.
- Select “Overlay.”
- Choose the second video and go to the “Add” button in the bottom-right corner.
- Go to “Mask” on the bottom toolbar, and choose “Filmstrip.”
- Place the second video underneath the first.
- To add the third video, tap on the “Overlay” option again.
- Choose the third video and upload it.
- Rotate it and move it to the bottom of the canvas.
When you press “Play,” all three videos will play at the exact same time. Just keep in mind that your second and third videos can’t be longer than the first one. It can either be shorter or of the same duration.
You can edit each video individually or all three of them at the same time. At this point, you can add some new details. For example, you can choose different filters for all three videos. You can add a song or some type of animation. You also have the option to change the speed of the videos, speeding them up or slowing them down.
What makes CapCut so easy to use is that you can do a lot of things by simply tapping on the videos. For instance, if you want to make a layer remain on the screen longer, simply tap on the edge of the slider and drag it to the right side of the screen. On the other hand, if you want to shorten the duration of a layer, drag it to the left side. Similarly, when you want to rotate a video, simply tap it with two fingers and turn it around.
When you’re done editing your video, all you need to do is save it by tapping on the upward arrow in the upper-right corner of your screen.
Have Fun Editing With CapCut
CapCut might seem complicated to use at first, but after you get the hang of it, you’ll be editing videos like a pro. Not only can you add an endless number of new layers to your video, but you can also edit each layer individually. With the many options this video editing app has to offer, there’s no limit to what kind of projects you can make.
Have you ever added a layer to a video in CapCut? How many layers did you add? How did you add them? Let us know in the comments section below.