How To Use the Cash App – A Beginner’s Guide
Cash App has quickly become one of the most popular peer-to-peer payment methods in the U.S. This comes as no surprise as this handy app allows you to send and receive money in just a few clicks. Besides money transactions, Cash App offers a lot more options, making it a one-stop shop for all your banking needs.
Keep reading to learn how to use Cash App and discover some of the benefits the app provides.
Using the Cash App – A Few Tips
The good news is that you don’t have to be particularly tech-savvy to master Cash App. It has a clean and intuitive interface, which makes it highly beginner-friendly. In addition, the app isn’t littered with options that hinder you from finding what you need. All the necessary options are neatly displayed on the landing page, allowing any banking process to be completed in just a few minutes.
Before learning how to use the app, you should set it up on your smartphone. The app is available on the App Store and the Play Store. Download the app and follow the on-screen instructions to install it on your mobile device. Once the installation is complete, it’s time to create an account.
How to Create a Cash App Account
Signing up for a Cash App account is straightforward and requires only basic information. You don’t have to enter your banking information when opening an account. However, linking your bank account is crucial for using most of the app’s features.
Here’s how to create a new Cash App account:
- Launch Cash App.
- Enter your phone number or email address.
- Type in the code sent to your phone or email.
- Optionally, link your bank account to the app by entering your debit card information.
- Create a $Cashtag.
- Enter your ZIP code.
$Cashtag is the Cash App username you’ll need to send and receive payments. After creating this unique identifier, the app will automatically generate a URL. Your friends, family, and customers can use this URL to make private and secure payments to your account.
There are some rules you must adhere to when choosing your $Cashtag:
- It must include at least one letter.
- It mustn’t be longer than 20 characters.
- You can’t use apostrophes.
Remember to choose wisely, as you can only change your $Cashtag twice. You should think of two solid names since you’re allowed to switch back and forth anytime.
Once your account is created, you’re all set to receive payments. But if you’d like to pay for products and services, you’ll have to add money to your account.
How to Add Money to Your Cash App Account
After your Cash App account has been linked to your debit card, adding money is a matter of tapping a few buttons.
The first step is to visit the Balance tab in the bottom-left corner of your screen. If you’re adding money for the first time, the tab will be marked with a little house icon. Alternatively, the tab will denote your current balance if there’s already some money in your account.
Once you’ve located the Balance tab, follow these steps to add money to your Cash App account:
- Tap the Add Cash button in the bottom-left corner of your current balance.
- Use the keypad to enter the desired amount.
- Hit the green Add button at the bottom.
The amount of money you’ve added will be immediately available, and you can use it to make your first payment.
How to Send a Payment in Cash App
Using Cash App to send money to a friend or a business is as simple as pulling out your wallet. In fact, the app lands on a page that allows you to immediately enter an amount you’d like to send.
However, there’s no need to re-launch the app to reach this landing page. You can simply tap the $ sign at the bottom of the screen to initiate a payment. From there, follow these steps to complete the process:
- Enter the amount you want to send.
- Tap the Pay button in the bottom right of the screen.
- Type the recipient’s email address, phone number, or $Cashtag in the To field.
- Explain the payment’s purpose in the For field.
- Select the Cash option next to “Send as”.
- Press the Pay button at the top right.
The recipient will receive the payment immediately.
How to Request a Payment in Cash App
Why send each friend a message with how much they have to pitch in for a fun night out when you can simply request the sum using Cash App? This straightforward process will eliminate a lot of hassle, making it easier for all the parties involved.
Requesting payment in Cash App is almost identical to sending one.
- Launch the Cash App or tap the $ sign if you’re already using it.
- Type in the amount you want to request.
- Hit the Request in the bottom-right corner of the screen.
- Enter the sender’s phone number, email address, or $Cashtag in the To field.
- Optionally, write what the payment is for.
- Press the Request button in the top-right corner.
As soon as the other party accepts your request, the funds will be available in your Cash App account. From there, you can choose to keep them for future payments or transfer them to your bank account, effectively cashing out.
How to Cash Out in Cash App
Depositing money from the app to your bank account is a simple process that offers two options regarding the speed of the transaction. Here’s how to cash out in Cash App:
- Press the Balance tab in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Tap the Cash Out button next to the “Add Cash” option.
- Using the slider, select the amount of money you’d like to withdraw from your Cash App account.
After selecting the amount, two buttons will appear at the bottom of your screen:
If you choose the Standard option, you’ll avoid paying a fee for cashing out. However, it will take several days before the money reaches your account. The exact date will be indicated in brackets next to the option’s name.
Alternatively, you can select the Instant option. This option is self-explanatory; it will transfer the money immediately but you’ll pay a small fee highlighted in the brackets next to the option. The fee will be taken out of the amount you’ve chosen to send, so make sure to account for that beforehand.
Once you’ve selected your preferred option, tap the green Done button to finalize the transfer.
How to Refund Money in Cash App
It’s not unusual for you to change your mind about a payment or receive money by mistake. For that reason, the app developers included an option to quickly refund a payment.
- Press the Activity tab (a clock icon) in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Locate the payment you want to refund and click on it.
- Tap the three-dot icon in the top-right corner.
- Select the Refund option.
- Click OK to confirm the action.
How to Cancel a Payment in Cash App
Unfortunately, since Cash App payments are instant, they can rarely be canceled fast enough. If you instantly realize your mistake, head to your Activity tab, as there might still be a Cancel option.
If you don’t see the option, the only remaining possibility is to ask the recipient to refund your money.
How to Use Cash App’s Cash Card
Although you can always link your existing debit card to your Cash App account, the app offers you the possibility of receiving a Cash Card. This is a Visa debit card that you can use to pay for goods and services from your Cash App balance, online and in stores.
Using a Cash Card over a regular debit card comes with multiple benefits. When using a Cash Card, you can:
- Select a unique design for your card, including your signature and emojis
- Block specific merchants from charging your card
- Access your account statements
- Pay with Apple or Google Pay
- Get cash back at stores that offer it
- Save money from the ATM fees
If you like what the Cash Card has to offer, you can quickly order one using the app. The Cash Card is free; you just need to be 18 or older and verify your Cash App account to be eligible for the card.
Here’s how to order a Cash App’s Cash Card:
- Tap the Cash Card next to the “Balance” tab in the bottom-left corner of the screen.
- Press the Get Free Cash Card button.
- Hit Continue.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to finalize the process.
After ordering your Cash Card, it should arrive within 10 business days. That said, you don’t have to wait for delivery to start using your card. You can add it to Apple or Google Pay immediately or use the card details displayed in the Cash Card tab.
A Pocket-Sized Bank
As technology progresses, physical banking has almost become obsolete. With peer-to-peer payment apps like Cash App making transferring money extremely quick and convenient, there’s no need to go anywhere to make or receive a payment. Now that you’ve seen how easy it is to use Cash App, you’ll probably join the millions of people who’ve adopted the app as their go-to payment method.
Have you ever used a peer-to-peer payment app? What has been your favored payment method so far? Let us know in the comments section below.