How to Change Your Background in Discord
Discord’s default interface is specifically designed to support the gaming and communication experience. It provides users with plenty of chances for personalization, including the ability to change their background. You can swap between the “Dark,” “Light,” or “Sync with your computer” themes. For more sophisticated options, you’ll need to install the BetterDiscord app.
This article will show you how to change Discord’s background on various devices using the built-in options and the official app.
How to Change Your Background or Theme in Discord on a PC
You can change your appearance in Discord by choosing one of the built-in options or by picking a theme on the BetterDiscord webpage. Here’s how to do both from your PC:
- Launch the Discord app on your PC.
- Select the “User Settings” gear option at the bottom of the left pane.
- Under “App Settings,” select “Appearance.”
- Under the “Theme” section, choose “Dark,” “Light,” or “Sync with your computer.”
- Click the “Esc” button to return to the Home screen and your chosen theme will be applied.
- Navigate to the BetterDiscord.app to install the app.
- Click the “Download (version)” button to download the latest installer.
- Once complete, open the BetterDiscord windows.exe file to begin the install.
- Follow the on-screen prompts. The app will restart once installed.
- To change the theme, visit the Themes page on the BetterDiscord website.
- Choose the theme, then download it to Discord’s theme folder. The default path is typically: “C:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\BetterDiscord\themes”.
- Alternatively, open the theme folder and copy the theme to it. Then, go to Discord’s “User Settings.”
- Afterward, go to “BetterDiscord Themes” to ensure the one you’ve chosen is enabled.
To stop using BetterDiscord, you’ll need its installer. If you no longer have it re-download it, then:
- Agree to the license agreement and click “Next.”
- Select “Uninstall BetterDiscord.”
- Choose the path/version, then “Uninstall.”
How to Change Your Background in Discord on an Android Device
BetterDiscord is not yet mobile-compatible, so you can customize your background or theme using a built-in option. Here’s how this is done:
- Open the Discord app.
- At the bottom, tap the “User settings” gear icon.
- Under “App Settings,” choose “Appearance.”
- Select your preferred theme and appearance, and enjoy.
How to Change Your Background in Discord on an iPhone
You can change your Discord background/theme to one of the built-in options since BetterDiscord is not mobile-compatible. Follow these steps to change your theme:
- Launch the Discord app.
- Tap the “User settings” gear icon at the bottom.
- Beneath “App Settings,” tap “Appearance.”
- Select your preferred theme and appearance.
Your choice will now display.
How to Change Your Background in a Discord Video?
To display a virtual background during your Discord video calls, equip your PC with the following configuration:
- GPU: NVIDIA GEFORCE RTX 2060, Quadro RTX 3000, TITAN RTX or higher.
- RAM: 8GB RAM.
- CPU: Recommended Intel Core i5 8600, AMD Ryzen r5 2060 and up.
- Driver: NVIDIA Display Driver version 456.38 and up.
- OS: Windows 10 64-bit.
- A stable internet connection.
- Go to the NVIDIA Broadcasting page.
- Click the “Download Now” button.
- The app should open after installation. If not, you may need to use the appropriate NVIDIA broadcast to download the “R455 driver.”
- To do this, visit the NIVIDA GEFORCE drivers page.
- To find the driver for your system, complete the form. For “Product Type,” select the GPU you have.
- At “Download Type,” select “Game Ready Driver.”
- Click the “Start Search” button, then “Download” to download the driver.
- Close the game-ready driver and the NVIDIA Broadcast app.
- Re-open the NVIDIA Broadcast app, then select the “Camera” tab.
- At “Camera Source,” select your webcam and resolution.
- Once you get to “Effects,” you’ll have four options:
- “Background Blur” blurs the area behind you.
- “Background replacement” lets you display a virtual background image. This option and “background blur” don’t require a green screen to work.
- “Background removal” applies a black background that can be left as is, or you can display something, like your game.
- “Auto-frame” centers the camera around your head no matter where you move.
- Once you’ve chosen your camera’s background effect, open the Discord app.
- Click “User Settings.”
- Select “Voice and Video.”
- At “Video Settings,” select “Camera (NVIDIA Broadcast)” instead of your webcam.
- Click the “Esc” button to go back to your Home screen.
Once set up, you can flip between the different background types via the NVIDIA Broadcast app.
Transforming Your Discord Theme
Discord’s default theme might not suit everyone’s taste or may become boring after a while.
Luckily, Discord offers some great options to transform the look of your interface. In addition, installing the BetterDiscord app gives you even more creative freedom.
Which built-in background or theme do you prefer and why? Did you install BetterDiscord? If so, which theme did you go for? Tell us in the comments section below.