How to Change Your eBay Username
When you create an eBay account, the platform automatically assigns a username to you. As you can imagine, it’s a string of letters, numbers, and dashes that are entirely unremarkable. Now, if you’re only planning to use eBay for shopping, your username might not be that important to you. However, if you want to build your eBay profile as a seller, a solid username can make a significant difference.
If you have chosen a stellar username that will put you at an advantage, all you have to do is access your eBay profile and change it. The process is relatively quick and straightforward, and we’ll guide you through every step.
How to Change an eBay Username on a PC
Many people prefer to use eBay on their computers because it can be easier to browse, read feedback, and open a million tabs at a time.
The good news is that changing your username on your Windows or Mac PC takes only a few clicks. Here’s what you should do:
- Access eBay via your browser.
- Click on the My eBay option in the top-right corner. Make sure you’re logged in.
- From the drop-down menu, select Summary.
- On this page, you’ll see the automatically assigned eBay username at the top. Click on the Account option just underneath the username.
- From there, select Personal Information, which is right under the Personal Info section.
- There you’ll see all the information about your account, including username ID. Click on the Edit option to its right side.
- Enter your new username and select Save.
The change will be automatic. You will see your new username everywhere on the website.
How to Change an eBay Username on an iPad
One of the great perks of the eBay mobile app for iPad is that you get to go shopping from your couch. You can also sell fantastic items and read feedback from happy customers.
Unfortunately, eBay mobile app has some limitations, and one of them is that you can’t change your username within the app.
If you go to the Settings and Account Info section, you’ll only see your email and phone number. To change the username, you’ll need to use a mobile browser. Here’s how:
- Launch a browser and go to the eBay website.
- Sign into your eBay account and then switch to desktop mode from your browser’s menu.
- Click on your name at the top left of the screen.
- From the drop-down menu, select Account settings.
- Under Personal Info, select Personal Information. You might need to enter your password again.
- Your username will be at the top of the list. Click on the Edit button to change it.
- Enter your new username and tap Save.
You can use this method to change your username on your computer as well.
How to Change an eBay Username on an iPhone
Your iPhone eBay app is precisely the same as your iPad app, just designed to fit a different layout. So, you can’t change your eBay username on the iPhone app either.
To change your username into something more fun, descriptive, or re-brand yourself on eBay, you’ll have to access the desktop mode of your mobile browser. Here’s how it works:
- Open your iPhone browser, go to the eBay website, and sign into your account.
- From the browser’s menu, select the Request Desktop Site option.
- Tap on your name in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Choose the Account settings option from the drop-down menu.
- Select Personal Information from the Personal Info section. Enter your password if necessary.
- Tap on the Edit option next to your username.
- Enter the new username and select Save.
How to Change an eBay Username on an Android Device
Those with Android mobile devices are in the same boat as iOS users – they can’t change their username via eBay mobile app.
As most Android users rely on Chrome as the primary browser, we’ll show you how to change the eBay username via this efficient browser:
- Launch Chrome on your Android smartphone or tablet.
- Log into your eBay account and then tap on the three vertical dots in the top-right corner.
- From the menu, select the Desktop site option.
- Tap on your name in the top-left corner.
- From the drop-down menu, tap in the Account settings.
- Tap on Personal Information, located under the Personal Info section.
- You’ll see your username at the very top, select the Edit button next to it.
- Enter a username you’re happy with and tap Save.
Important Facts to Remember About Changing Username on eBay
It’s crucial to remember that eBay allows you to change your name every 30 days, no earlier. That’s why it’s so important not to rush into any decisions.
Try to be as sure as possible that you’ve chosen a great new username, especially if you’re primarily a seller on the platform.
Furthermore, changing your name is not a solution for running away from your past behavior on eBay. The company retains user ID history, regardless of how many times someone changes their username.
Also, there are no spaces in eBay user IDs, so you’ll need to use dashes to put two or more words together. Your username should have at least six alphanumeric characters and can’t contain “@, (, ), &, >, < “symbols.
Can I Change My eBay Username and Keep Feedback?
Yes. When you change your username, your feedback stays just as it is. The only difference will be that the new username attached to it.
The change is signified by a small icon next to the new username, which will stay there for two weeks. That is eBay’s way of telling users that you have recently changed your username.
Making the Most of the New Username
Changing the eBay username can be a great way to reinvent yourself as an eBay seller. If you use eBay for specific purchases, your username can differentiate you as enthusiastic antiques or vintage postal stamps shopper.
Whatever prompted the idea, changing your username is a quick process. The only major downside is that the eBay mobile app doesn’t support this feature – yet. You’ll need to access the desktop version of eBay using your mobile browser to complete the change on the go.
Do you think it’s time to change your eBay username? Do you find the steps easy to follow? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
Comments are closed.