How to Change Your Amazon Fire TV Stick Name [February 2021]
With how often Amazon’s Fire Sticks go on sale, you’ve probably picked up one for every room in the house. That makes streaming and renting movies a whole lot easier, since everything is synced between your Amazon account. Of course, if you have multiple Amazon devices in your household, keeping them organized is a must. Switching between several Fire TV devices can cause a headache, so making sure they’re properly named can help you push content to the right device.
By default, all of your Fire TV devices have fairly standard names, but they don’t have to stay that way. You can easily change the name of any Amazon device by accessing your online Amazon account, making your smart home environment simple and easy to navigate.
Change Your Fire TV Stick Name Via the Official Website
You can change the Fire TV Stick name by accessing the settings on Amazon’s official website. Before you do this, you should first check the name of the device that you want to change. Also, make sure that you know your Amazon credentials before you proceed.
Step 1: Check the Name of Your Device
Amazon assigns random names to each Fire TV Stick Device. Therefore, it can get a little confusing the more devices you own. Therefore, you need to know the exact name of your device before you decide to change it. Especially if you have a bunch of different devices, and you want to rename them all.
For example, if you want to change the name of your bedroom’s Fire TV Stick to ‘Bedroom’, you have to know the current name of the device located in the bedroom.
To do this, follow these steps:
- Open your Fire TV Stick app.
- Go to the ‘Settings.’
- Navigate to ‘My Fire TV’ on the right.
- Click on “Fire TV Stick.” If you have a 4K or Lite model, you’ll see these names after your specific model.
- Note the assigned name under the ‘Device Name’ section.
If you have multiple Fire Sticks in your house, perform these actions for each individual Fire Stick. Once you’ve identified the default names of each device, it’s time to visit Amazon’s website.
Step 2: Access Your Amazon Account
The only viable way to change your Fire TV Stick name is through Amazon’s website. But first, you need to sign in to your Amazon account. If you’re already signed in, skip down to step three.
- Go to Amazon’s official website.
- Click the ‘Hello, Sign In’ menu on the top-right of the page.
- Type your email in the dialog box.
- Hit ‘Continue.’
- When prompted, type in your password.
- Click ‘Sign In.’
If you have multiple Amazon accounts, make sure that you log into the one that’s connected with your home devices. Otherwise, you won’t be able to find the desired Fire TV Stick on the list.
Now that you’re signed-in to the account it’s time to change the names.
Step 3: Changing the Device’s Names
To change the names, you should return back to Amazon’s home page first. Then, follow these steps:
- Scroll down to the bottom of the page.
- Click the ‘Manage Your Content and Devices’ under the ‘Let Us Help You’ section.
- Click on the ‘Your Devices’ tab to open the list of all available Amazon devices.
- Find the device that you want to rename and click on it. A new menu will appear below the selected device.
- Click the small ‘Edit’ button next to the device name.
- Choose a new name for the device.
- Click ‘Save.’
This will change the name of your device. Therefore, the next time you use your Fire TV Stick remote, you’ll know exactly which device you need to choose.
You can follow the same method above to change the name of any Amazon device. It doesn’t have to be a Fire TV or Fire TV Stick, you can also change the name of your Kindle, for example.
Change the Fire TV Stick Name on Your Phone
If you have a smartphone with an Amazon app, you can use it to change the name of your Amazon Fire TV and Fire TV Stick. Do the following:
- Open the ‘Amazon’ app on your smartphone.
- Click the ‘hamburger button’ on the top-left of the screen (three horizontal lines).
- Select ‘Your Account’ from the drop-down menu.
- Tap ‘Content and Devices.’
- Tap on ‘Devices.’
- Select the Fire TV / or Fire Stick device that you want to rename.
- Tap the ‘Edit’ option, and the new screen will pop up.
- Choose the new name.
- Tap ‘Save’ and you’ll see a message saying that your device’s name is successfully changed.
Choosing the Right Name
If you decide to change the name of your Amazon Fire TV Stick, make sure that you rename it to something you can associate to that specific device. If you have multiple devices in your home, it’s best to name them according to the rooms they’re in, instead of some random names.
However, the final say is always up to you. If you’re not satisfied with some of the names you’ve been assigned, you can always follow the aforementioned steps and rename the devices again.
Do you have any name recommendations for Amazon devices? How would you name the ones in your home? Share your ideas with the community in the comments section below.