How to Connect Echo Dot to iPhone
With the introduction of the third generation of Echo Dot smart speaker, Amazon has significantly improved their little device compared to the previous two generations. With the integrated Alexa assistant, Echo Dot serves as an interface that lets you easily control devices in your smart home.
There are two ways you can connect your iPhone to Echo Dot –through the Alexa app, or over a Bluetooth connection. While the app lets you manage Echo Dot from your phone, Bluetooth allows you to play music on the device’s speaker.
To connect the two devices, follow the instructions in the next two sections.
Before you begin, you’ll need to install the Alexa app from the Apple’s App Store. If you already have the app installed, please check that it’s updated to the latest version.
Connecting to Echo Dot with the Alexa App
With the Alexa App ready, you can proceed to pair your iPhone with Echo Dot:
- First, open the Alexa app.
- Tap the “Devices” icon in the lower right corner.
- Tap the “Plus” sign in the top right corner.
- Tap “Add Device”.
- Tap the “Amazon Echo” icon.
- Tap “Echo Dot”.
- Tap the right generation of your Echo Dot.
Now it’s time to turn on your Echo Dot:
- Connect it to the power outlet.
- The device will power up.
- Wait until the blue light ring turns orange. That’s the sign Echo Dot entered the Setup Mode.
- Now the Echo Dot image should appear on your iPhone. Tap it.
Next, you need to set the Wi-Fi connection:
- Go to the Wi-Fi settings on your iPhone.
- Find your Echo Dot in the list of available networks. The name should start with “Amazon”.
- Go back to the Alexa app.
- Tap “Continue” on the screen with the message “Continue Echo Dot Setup”.
- The app will enter its Wi-Fi settings, listing the available networks.
- Tap the network you want your Echo Dot to connect to.
- If required, enter the Wi-Fi password.
The final steps:
- When asked if you want to use an external speaker with Echo Dot, tap “Skip” if you’ll use the Echo Dot’s own speaker. Of course, you can add the external speaker later.
- As the final step, select one of the rooms defined in your household where you’ll keep your Echo Dot. If needed, you can create a new room from this menu.
Connecting via Bluetooth
Beside its Wi-Fi connection, you can connect to Echo Dot over a Bluetooth. This way you’ll be able to play audio from your iPhone or iPad.
Due to the nature of its Bluetooth capabilities, Echo Dot can’t simultaneously connect to more than one device. To be able to connect your iPhone to Echo Dot, first you’ll have to disconnect it from any other devices.
To connect the two devices, follow these steps:
- Open the Alexa app on your iPhone.
- Tap the menu icon in the top left corner.
- Tap “Settings”.
- Tap your Echo Dot from the menu.
- Tap “Bluetooth”.
- Tap “Pair a New Device” to put your Echo Dot in the pairing mode.
Next, you’ll have to activate Bluetooth pairing on your iPhone as well:
- Turn on your iPhone.
- Go to the Bluetooth settings.
- Set the Bluetooth to the pairing mode.
- Place it close to your Echo Dot.
- After a few seconds, Echo Dot will appear in the list of available Bluetooth devices. Tap on it.
- Wait until Alexa confirms that the connection was successful.
Please note that Alexa isn’t able to receive or read the phone calls, text messages, as well as other notifications coming from your iPhone or iPad.
When you want to disconnect your iPhone from Echo Dot, simply say “Disconnect”.
After this initial Bluetooth pairing, the next time you want to connect the two, just say “Connect”. Of course, you need to have Bluetooth enabled on your iPhone for this to work.
Please note, when you pair multiple Bluetooth devices to your Echo Dot, using the “Connect” command will connect it to the most recent device. If that’s not the device you want to connect, go to the Bluetooth settings on your iPhone and select Echo Dot manually from the list.
A Great Bond
Thanks to the established connection between your iPhone and Amazon’s smart speaker, you’ll be able to use voice commands to control your smart home devices. And with Bluetooth you can play your favorite music over Echo Dot’s decent-sounding speaker.
Do you use your iPhone to control Echo Dot? Is the listening to the music over the little device pleasant enough? Please share your thoughts in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
One thought on “How to Connect Echo Dot to iPhone”
Comments are closed.