How To Convert iTunes Songs to MP3 Format
iTunes is your go-to place for all things entertainment. From music, movies, books to your favorite TV shows and more. Speaking of music, all the songs you purchase from iTunes are in an AAC format by default. AAC is an advanced audio format that is suitable for compressed audio data. While this format provides better sound quality, it is incompatible with most audio players in the music industry and occupies way too much space.
If you want to listen to the songs you purchased from iTunes on other audio devices as well, you might be compelled to convert them into MP3 format. MP3 is a widespread audio format that is compatible with most audio players. As a result, you can listen to your music anytime, anywhere, and on any device.
In this article, you’ll learn how to convert your iTunes songs into MP3 across different devices, specifically Mac, Windows, iPad, and iPhone.
Convert iTunes Songs to MP3 on a Mac
Macs have iTunes built into the platform (or available for download freely), which allows you to perform the conversion process without third-party programs. Here are straightforward steps you can follow to convert iTunes songs to MP3 on a Mac:
- On your Mac, launch iTunes. Note that the program can take some time to open as it is quite intensive.
- On the menu bar, navigate to “Music.”
- Select “Preferences” in the menu and choose “General then “File.”
- Click on “Import settings.”
- On the “Import Using” option, you should see a dropdown menu. Proceed and change the options to “MP3 Encoder.”
- Select your preferred audio quality. Going for the highest quality is preferred, but takes the longest and the result is more memory-intensive.
- Highlight the songs you want to convert into MP3.
- Go to “File” > “Convert” > “Create MP3 Version.”
- Wait for the format conversion to complete.
You should now see your newly converted song adjacent to the original AAC file.
Alternatively, you can use the Apple Music App to convert your iTunes songs to MP3. The steps for conversion are pretty much similar to the ones demonstrated above.
Note that some songs are copyrighted and protected under the DRM encryption. As a result, you cannot make any modifications to these songs. In addition, you can also use a third-party audio converter to convert your songs into your preferred format. One such program is MediaHuman Audio Converter. MediaHuman Audio Converter is a free tool that allows you to convert your songs to other formats including MP3. Plus, it works on all major operating systems, so, you can be sure you’ll get a download for your computer.
Here’s how to convert iTunes songs to MP3 using MediaHuman Audio Converter:
- Download the free audio converter.
- Install the program using the steps provided in the installation wizard.
- Launch the program.
- Drag and drop your iTunes songs to the application’s window.
- By default, the “WMA” format is selected. Click on it and select “MP3.”
- Select a bitrate that best fits your needs. (A higher bitrate is preferred)
- Press on the two arrows to start the conversion process.
- Wait for a few seconds for the conversion to complete.
To view the song you have just converted, click on the search icon next to the original version of your song. A window should pop up and you should now see your newly converted MP3 file.
Convert iTunes Songs to MP3 on a Windows PC
Here’s how to convert iTunes songs to MP3 on Windows:
- On your Windows PC, launch the iTunes app.
- Navigate to “Edit” > “Preferences” > “General “> “Import settings.”
- From the “Import Options” dropdown menu, select “MP3 Encoder.”
- From the “Setting” dropdown menu, select the highest quality.
- Click on “OK” to get back to your music library.
- Choose the songs you want to convert into MP3 format.
- With your songs highlighted, navigate to “File,” then to “Convert,” and select “Create MP3 Version.”
Easy peasy, right? Now you have your songs in an MP3 format, and you can play them across multiple audio players.
Convert iTunes Songs to MP3 on an iPhone
Converting iTunes songs to MP3 on an iPhone can be rather a pickle. The process is typically done by porting the songs to a PC. Firstly, ensure that the songs on your iPhone’s iTunes library are backed up on your computer. If they are not backed up, you can manually transfer them to your computer. Note that to transfer the iTunes song on your iPhone to your computer, you need to have them as downloads on your iTunes library.
Follow the steps below to move the songs to your computer’s hard drive:
- Connect your iPhone to your PC via USB cable.
- Launch the iTunes app on your computer.
- If your computer is not authorized, select “Account” and authorize it.
- Navigate to File>Devices>Transfer purchases from “iPhone.”
- The music transfer will begin immediately.
The duration of the conversion process will depend on the size and the number of songs you are trying to convert. After the transfer is complete, download the songs you want to convert into MP3 format using the cloud-like icon next to each song. You should find these songs by selecting the “Recently Added” button on the sidebar of your iTunes app.
After a successful download, go ahead and convert the songs into MP3 using the steps mentioned above, on how to convert an iTunes song to MP3 on Mac or Windows.
Convert iTunes Songs to MP3 on an iPad
To convert iTunes songs to Mp3 on an iPad, you should first transfer the music to your computer using the following steps:
- Connect your iPad to your computer through a USB cable.
- Open the iTunes app on your computer.
- Complete the computer authorization if your computer is not authorized.
- Navigate to File>Devices>Transfer purchases from “iPhone.”
- Allow for the music transfer to complete.
Proceed and convert the recently added music to MP3 using the steps mentioned under how to convert iTunes songs to MP3 using your PC or Mac. Remember to follow the steps for the computer you are currently working on.
Listen to Music on Any Device
Although the AAC format provides high-quality music, it denies you the flexibility of listening to your iTunes songs on non-Apple devices. MP3 format, on the other hand, does the exact opposite. Regardless, you can now convert your iTunes songs to MP3 and listen to your music on any music player. Plus, you will get to save up some space on your device without sacrificing the quality of your music.
Do you know an easier method to transfer from iTunes to MP3? Let us know in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
One thought on “How To Convert iTunes Songs to MP3 Format”