How to Convert Photos to a PDF File Format
Converting photos to PDF is beneficial for two reasons. First, it allows you to convert images into a more readable format. Second, you can compress a PDF without losing the quality of the original file. Fortunately, it is a relatively straightforward process.
In this article, we’ll provide step-by-step instructions on converting photos to PDF on different devices.
How to Convert JPG, GIF, or PNG Photos to a PDF on an iPhone
The images stored on your iPhone will often be different file types. For example, HEIC, PNG, JPG, or GIF. Perhaps you have an image you want to send to a colleague as a document, or maybe you have a document you’d rather send as an image. Either way, this is how you go about converting JPGs and PNGs to PDF on an iPhone:
- Unlock your iPhone and navigate to “Albums.”
- Next, tap “Select” in the top right corner of the screen.
- Tap and select the images you want to convert. The photos you choose will come up with a small blue checked icon in the bottom right of each image.
- Once you have chosen the image or images you want to convert, click “Share” (the rectangular box with an upward-facing arrow.)
- From the menu that pops up, choose “Save to Files.” A Save location menu will pop up; from here, tap “On My iPhone.”
- After the list of all your folders drops down, select the folder in which you want to save these files. Press “Save” in the top right corner of the screen.
- Navigate back to your home screen and access your “Files” app. At the bottom of the screen that opens, find and click on “Browse.” Scroll to find “Locations,” and then select “On My iPhone.”
- From the screen that opens up, choose the folder in which you saved the files. Next, tap “Select” in the top right of the screen and then choose the images.
- Tap the icon on the bottom right of the phone that shows three dots in a circle. A menu will open. Choose “Create PDF.” Your iPhone will save these images as a PDF.
It is important to remember that if you are compiling more than one image into a PDF in this way, your iPhone will position them in the document according to the file name. If you want the photos in a particular order, rename them first.
Converting a GIF
Not all devices allow you to convert a GIF to a PDF with native (pre-installed) apps. A time-tested app you can use for this is Adobe Acrobat Reader, which is free to download. Download this app onto your iPhone and follow these steps to convert your GIF to PDF:
- Navigate to the Adobe Reader app on your phone.
- From the “Tools” menu, choose “Create PDF.”
- Select the GIF you want to convert to PDF.
- Tap “Create.”
- Follow the prompts to save your PDF.
How to Convert JPG, GIF, or PNG Photos to a PDF on an Android Device
Converting a JPG or PNG on an Android device is less complex than the method needed for an iPhone. Here is how you go about it:
- Open your Android device and navigate to your “Gallery.”
- Find the image you want to convert to PDF and tap on it to open it.
- Click on the icon with the three vertical dots on the top right of the screen.
- From the menu that drops down, select “Print.” At the very top of the screen, you will see a bar with a printer’s name and a dark grey arrow next to it. Tap this arrow.
- A menu of different available printers will drop down. Choose “Save as PDF.” An image preview will open. A yellow “Download PDF” icon will pop up. Click this icon.
- Select where you want to save the PDF and then tap “Done” at the bottom of the screen.
Converting a GIF
While Android allows you to convert PNG and JPG files this way, a GIF is not supported. To convert these files to PDF, you will need to use an app. We suggest trying the Adobe Acrobat Reader app, which you can download free from the Google Play Store. These steps will show you how to convert GIFs to PDF using this app:
- Launch your Adobe Acrobat Reader app on your Android device.
- On the home screen, locate the icon that appears as a large blue circle with a white plus sign. Tap this icon.
- From the menu that pops up, select “Create PDF.”
- Choose “Select a File” and then pick the GIF you want to convert to PDF.
- Tap on “Create.”
- Save your PDF by following the prompts.
How to Convert JPG, GIF, or PNG Photos to a PDF on a Mac
Unlike mobile devices, your Mac can convert a wider variety of files to PDF, including PNG, GIF, TIFF, and JPG. Follow the instructions below to convert your photos to PDF on your Mac:
- Open the folder on your Mac that has the images you want to convert to PDF. Select them and right-click. From the menu, choose “Open With” and then select “Mac Preview” from the options.
- The Mac Preview app will then launch. On the left-hand side, you will see thumbnails of the images you selected to convert. Drag and drop them in the order you want them to place when converted to PDF.
- To orientate the images the right way, click on the thumbnail in the panel. Then, at the top of the screen, choose the “Rotate” icon (a rectangle with a curved arrow above it.)
- Next, go to “File” at the top left of the screen and press it. From the menu, choose “Print.”
- Set up the document to the size and layout you want before navigating to the bottom left of the screen to the button with the drop-down arrow.
- Click this button and select “Save as PDF.” Follow the prompts to save your PDF in the location of your choice.
How to Convert JPG, GIF, or PNG Photos to a PDF on Windows 10
Windows 10 is much the same as a Mac in that it will allow you to convert various image files, including GIFs, into PDF. If you want to know how, follow these steps:
- On your Windows 10 computer, open the folder that has the photo or GIF that you want to convert to PDF in the native app on Windows called “Pictures.”
- Once the photo or GIF is open, locate the “Print” icon on the top right corner of the screen and click on it.
- On the left of the window that opens, you will see a box that allows you to select the printer at the top. Click this drop-down box and choose “Microsoft Print to PDF.”
- Now press “Print.”
- Type in the name you want to call this new PDF and select the location you want to save it in before clicking “Save.”
Converting your image files to PDF documents is relatively simple once you know how. If you follow the steps in this guide, you’ll be converting your images like a pro.
Have you converted an image to a PDF before? Did you use a method similar to those outlined in this guide? Let us know in the comments section below.