How to Convert MKV to MP4
Sometimes, you can’t open your MKV file since the program you’re using doesn’t support its format. As a result, you need to find a way to convert the file to an MP4 file. But how do you accomplish this?
In this article, we’ll provide you with different ways to convert MKV to MP4 on many devices and platforms.
How to Convert MKV to MP4 on Windows
You can convert MKV to MP4 on your Windows PC, using third-party software. In this section, we’ll review the third-party services that we often use to convert files.
ByClick Downloader is a trusted software compatible with PC that does an excellent job of downloading and converting video files. We use the ByClick Downloader for a variety of reasons; it’s easy-to-use, safe and secure, and has many format options.
To convert a video from MKV to MP4, do this:
- Install the software on your PC using this link.
- Open the ByClick Downloader on your Windows device and select the MP4 option under Choose Format.
- Open the file you’d like to convert. Then, click Download Video in the pop-up window that appears.
- The video will begin processing. Wait for it to finish.
You can select where you want the newly converted file to save by selecting Choose Folder in the ByClick Downloader window.
Freemake Video Converter
There are plenty of options to choose from, and Freemake Video Converter is an excellent choice. The program features a user-friendly interface and great design, as well as a large number of output options and formats.
Here’s how to use the program to convert your videos:
- Download the program and install it on your computer.
- Press the “+ Video” button and add your MKV file. Alternatively, you can drag the file and drop it in the designated area.
- If necessary, you can edit your video in the program. There’s a built-in editor you can use to rotate, cut, and join videos.
- Choose the output format. In this case, select MP4.
- Choose an existing preset or create one yourself.
- Press the “Convert” option to transform your MKV file into an MP4 file.
- Wait a couple of minutes for the program to complete the process. Afterward, you’ll be able to upload your video or watch it offline.
How to Convert MKV to MP4 with OBS
Converting MKV to MP4 is relatively straightforward on OBS. This is how the process looks:
- Go to the “File” section located in the toolbar.
- Select the “Remux Recordings” option.
- This will open a window, where you’re supposed to drop the desired MKV files. Find the MKV files in their folders and drop them into the window.
- Press the “Remux” option.
- Wait for the process to complete. Once it’s over, a dialog box saying “Recording remixed” will show. Press the “OK” button.
- The converted files will show up in the same folder as your old MKV files, ready for you to use anywhere you can.
How to Convert MKV to MP4 on Chromebook
As for your Chromebook, you can use several online converters.
For example, here’s how to use the converter provided by 123apps.com:
- Press the “Open File” button to select your MKV video from your computer. Alternatively, you can choose the file using Google Drive, Dropbox, or open it by typing in its URL.
- Select MP4 as the output format.
- Choose the resolution of the newly-formed video from the drop-down menu.
- Press the “Convert” button and wait for the program to wrap up the conversion.
How to Convert MKV to MP4 without Losing Quality
When it comes to converting your videos without reducing the quality, you can go for the MiniTool Movie Maker program. Take the following steps to convert your files properly:
- Download, install, and launch the program to start using its interface.
- Press the “Import Media Files” option.
- Select the file you want to convert, and press “OK” to import the video to the program. Alternatively, you can drag and drop your file on the program’s timeline.
- Select the “Export” option from the toolbar to bring up a window. In the window, the MP4 format will be checked by default.
- The saving path is also checked by default, but you can change it by hitting the folder icon and selecting the desired path. If you wish to modify the video’s resolution, hover over the box located behind “Resolution” and press it. This will give you access to resolution options.
- Press the “Export” option located on the right corner of the window.
- Wait until the conversion is complete and press the “Close” option to close the pop-up window.
- Select the “Find Target” option to find your converted video.
How to Convert MKV to MP4 with VLC
VLC may be the most reliable and popular converter available. You can use it to convert your MKV files to MP4 by taking the following steps:
- Go to VLC’s website and download the program. Don’t forget to carefully go through the terms and conditions to avoid installing unwanted software on your computer.
- Open the program and click on the “Media” section located to your left.
- Choose the “Convert/Save” option from the drop-down menu.
- Press the “Add” button and find the desired file on your computer. After selecting the video, hit the “Convert/Save” option in the window.
- State the output video format (MP4) from the drop-down menu next to the “Profile” section. You can access additional conversion settings by pressing the tool icon beside the drop-down menu.
- Use the “Destination” section to specify the desired location for your MP4 file.
- Press the “Start” button and wait until the conversion process is complete.
How to Convert MKV to MP4 without VLC
If you want to avoid installing VLC or any other software, there’s a reliable way to do it. Namely, you can use CloudConvert.com, and this is how to do so:
- Go to the converter’s homepage.
- Press the “Select File” option to upload the desired file from your computer. You can also use Dropbox, Google Drive, or another cloud storage platform by pressing the down-pointing arrow on the “Select File” option.
- Choose the output format for your video. Select the down-pointing arrow beside the “Convert” option to choose MP4 from the video formats list.
- Press the “Convert” button located at the bottom of the webpage to start the conversion process.
- The conversion will be over when the green “Download” button appears. Press the button to download the video.
If you plan to use CloudConvert more often, you can include the platform as one of your extensions or an iOS app.
Should I Use MKV or MP4?
Deciding whether you should use MKV or MP4 isn’t easy. The choice depends on many factors, the most important of which is how you plan to use your videos.
For instance, MP4 has broader support among platforms. This means that you should go for MP4 if you’re planning on playing videos on mobile devices and other platforms.
However, if you expect to only use video players, such as XBMC, PotPlayer, and VLC, then MKV may be the better option. This is because MKV generally has higher audio quality and more features allowing you to utilize the full capacity of the aforementioned video players. Additionally, MKV is the more popular option for converting Blu-Ray discs and DVDs to video files, which the format excels in.
Which Is the Best Video Format?
Again, many people have distinct preferences, meaning that it’s hard to decide on a winner. Still, MP4 might have a slight edge overall due to a number of aspects.
First, the format’s size is relatively small, while still providing high-quality footage. Second, a variety of websites and devices support the format. Finally, MP4 is easy to stream and supports MPEG-DASH and HLS streaming protocols.
On the other hand, MKV files are also relatively small, but they might not be supported by some devices and are harder to stream. As a result, MP4 is more versatile and thus, slightly better than MKV.
Enhance Your Video Sessions
Overall, no matter which platform you’re using, there’s a way to convert your MKV files to MP4. Accordingly, even if your desired program can’t play MKV files, now you know how to change the format. This way, you won’t miss out on any of your content.
But the MKV format also has its advantages. So, consider carefully what kind of requirement your video needs to fulfill. Who knows, you might stick to MKV for a bit longer.