How To Duplicate/Copy a Folder in Google Drive
Google Drive might be one of the best cloud storage services, but it still lacks some notable options. Although you can copy files in Google Drive, there is no option on Google Drive’s context menus for copying, or duplicating, folders. So how are we supposed to copy Google Drive folders?
Copy Multiple Files to a New Google Drive Folder
As mentioned, Google Drive does include a Make a copy option for files. As such, you can still copy all the files in a folder by selecting that option. This is how you can duplicate a Google Drive folder with the Make a copy option.
- First, open your Google Drive cloud storage in a browser.
- Open a folder to copy in Google Drive.
- You can quickly select all the files in that folder by pressing the Ctrl + A hotkey.
- Next, right-click any one of the selected files and select Make a copy on the context menu.
- Now new copies of the files will appear in the same folder with “Copy of…” in the file titles. Right-click one of the original files, which remain selected, and click Move to.
- Click the grey folder icon with a + on it, on the bottom right of the menu, to create a new folder. Enter a title for it.
- Click the Create folder button to add the folder to My Drive. It’s the white checkmark on a blue background, right beside the new folder’s title.
- Finally, press the Move Here button to move the original files to the new folder. This will leave you with two folders that include exactly the same content.
Copy Folders with the Backup and Sync App
Alternatively, you can copy Google Drive folders by adding the Backup and Sync software to Windows. Backup and Sync adds a Google Drive folder to File Explorer. The software syncs that directory so that you can open your documents saved in GD from File Explorer and save documents directly to the cloud storage. As File Explorer includes the GD folders, you can also copy them with that file manager.
First, add Backup and Sync to Windows by clicking the Download button on this website page. When it has downloaded, launch the Backup and Sync installer. Thereafter, open the Backup & Sync app; and select a Google account to log in with. Then you can choose some folders to back up to Google Drive, and select the Sync My Drive to this Computer option.
Open File Explorer when Windows has synced with My Drive. Click the Google Drive folder to open it, and then right-click a GD folder to copy. Select the Copy option on the context menu. Press the Copy to button, and select to save the copied folder in Google Drive. Then you can also open that copied folder from the cloud storage’s browser tab.
Copy Google Drive Folders With Web Apps
There are also a couple of web apps you can copy Google Drive folders with. Copy Folder is one web app that copies GD folders. Click this hyperlink to open the Copy Folder app.
When you first open Copy Folder, you’ll need to click the Authorize button, and then press the Review Permissions button and select a Google account. If the account isn’t listed, click Use another account and sign in. Press the Next and Allow buttons to open the tab shown in the snapshot directly below.
Press the Select Folder button to open the window shown directly below. Choose a folder to copy, and press the Select button. Then enter a title for the duplicated folder in the text box. Press the Copy Folder button to duplicate the chosen folder in Google Drive.
Gsuitetips.com also has an alternative web app for copying Google Drive folders. Click here to open the app’s page on Gsuitetips.com. Then press the Sign in with Google button to select a Google Drive account and open the web app as shown in the snapshot directly below.
Press the Click to browse Source folder button to select a GD folder to copy. You can also press the Click to browse button for the destination folder to choose a Google Drive directory to save the duplicated folder in. Input a title in the New folder name text box. Select the Copy files check box, click Preview, and press the Go button. Thereafter, you can click a hyperlink to open the new folder copy in Google Drive.
So that’s how you can copy your Google Drive folders. Hopefully, Google might wake up someday and add a Copy Folder option to GD. Until then, you can copy GD folders by copying all the files in them or by utilizing the Backup and Sync software and folder copy web apps.