How to Delete a Playlist in Apple Music
When you subscribe to the Apple Music streaming service, you gain access to a music catalog with over 90 million songs and unlimited playlists. With all this abundance, it can be easy to end up with a load of playlists you don’t listen to. They can take up precious phone storage or screen space and be annoying to scroll through.
Whatever the case may be, you can remove a downloaded playlist, so it disappears from your device or delete it, so it disappears from your media library. Read on to learn how to do both, plus how to undelete your deletion should you change your mind.
How to Deletea Playlist in Apple Music From an iPhone
You can delete downloaded playlists in your Apple Music account directly from your iPhone. Follow these steps to do that:
- Open the Music app and select “Library.”
- Choose “Playlists.”
- Find and long-press the playlist you wish to delete.
- Choose “Remove…” from the pop-up options.
- Select “Remove Downloads” if you want to delete the playlist from your iPhone’s local storage. Otherwise, pick “Delete from Library” to remove it from your media library.
How to Delete a Playlist in Apple Music From an Android
Although Apple Music is an Apple app, it’s available on Android. Here’s how to delete a playlist using an Android device:
- Launch Apple Music and select “Playlists.”
- Tap and hold on the playlist you want to remove.
- Press “Remove…” from the pop-up options.
- Select “Remove Downloads” to remove just the playlist from your device. Alternatively, choose “Delete from Library” to delete it from your Apple Music library.
How to Delete a Playlist in Apple Music From a PC
The interface for the desktop version of Apple Music looks slightly different from the mobile app; however, the process for deleting a playlist is similar. Follow these steps to delete an Apple Music playlist via your PC:
- Open Apple Music.
- Select the playlist you want to delete from the left pane.
- Right-click it, then choose “Delete.” You can also hit “delete” on your keyboard.
- Click “Delete Playlist” to confirm, then “Move to Trash.”
How to Delete a Playlist in Apple Music From an iPad
Here’s how to delete an Apple Music playlist from your iPad:
- Launch the Music app.
- From the “Library” tab, choose “Playlists.”
- Long press the playlist you want to remove.
- From the pop-up menu, tap “Remove….”
- Choose “Remove Downloads” to delete it from your iPad or select “Delete from Library” to remove it from your media library entirely.
Can I Delete Duplicates From a Playlist?
You can find each occurrence of a song by the same artist in your music library (including your Playlists). The song could appear in a soundtrack as well as an album, for example. You can also search for exact song duplicates. To do this using your PC:
1. Access the Music app, then click “Songs” from the left pane.
2. Click a song, then do one of the following:
a. To find all occurrences of that song in your library, click “File,” “Library,” then “Show Duplicate Items.”
b. To find exact duplicates, hold the “Option” key and click “File,” “Library,” then “Show Exact Duplicate Items.”
3. To remove the duplicates, right-click a song and select “Delete,” or just hit the delete key, then confirm.
Can I Delete a Playlist Without Deleting the Songs?
Yes, you can. Select the “Delete from Library” option to remove the playlist itself. All associated songs will still be available.
How Do I Organize My Playlists Into Folders?
Follow these steps to organize your playlists into folders using your PC:
1. Open the Music app.
2. Select “File,” “New,” then “Playlist Folder.”
3. Add a folder name and hit Enter. To rename it, double-click it and enter the new name.
4. Now add to the folder by dragging your playlists, other folders, or items to it.
Out With the Old to Make Space for the New
Apple Music offers an extensive music catalog and lets you create unlimited playlists. As a music lover, it’s pretty easy to accumulate a massive music collection. Luckily, Apple Music will help you when you need to declutter and free up precious music space on your device. You can delete a downloaded playlist just from your device, or you can remove one from your Apple Music library entirely.
Do you create your own playlists? If so, what kinds of playlists are your favorite? Tell us about the ones you’re most proud of in the comments section below.