How To Delete a Discord Account
There is no shortage of ways to message your friends online, but if you ever play games, Discord is by far the best option for you. Though the chat app has become one of the most important messaging apps both in and out of gaming, it actually began as a failed online multiplayer game designed for iOS.
An application that focuses on allowing your PC or mobile device to focus most of its resources on your actual games rather than the chat application you have running in the background.
Whether you want to move to a different chat app or delete your account to make a point, it’s worth looking into how to delete your Discord account and the difference between disabling and deleting it.
How to Disable Your Discord Account
Discord allows you to delete or disable your account, similar to social networks like Facebook. Deleting your account means you will no longer use it while disabling your account typically means you are taking a break.
If you would rather not remove your account entirely and prefer to just step away on an extended hiatus with the potential to return, disabling your Discord account is the better choice. This option will save you a bit of time later once you return, and you will not have to jump through hoops to get it back.
- Pull up the Discord app on your screen.
- Once you have logged in, click on your User Settings (The Cog icon) in the lower left.
- At the bottom of the window, you will see the option to Disable Account, coincidentally located to the right of Delete Account. Click it to disable your account.
Disabling Your Account on Mobile
Disabling your account for both iOS and Android is not as easy as it is on a desktop. Currently, there is no way to disable or delete your account from a mobile device. When you attempt to select one of the options, which you can get to by:
- Open the Discord app on your phone or mobile device.
- Tap on your profile icon at the bottom right and will open User Settings; tap on My Account.
- You will have the option to ‘Disable Account‘ or ‘Delete Account.’ However, once you select either, you will go to a support page describing ways to make that happen, similar to what you are already reading here.
To disable or delete an account from mobile, you will need to put in a request with support. This is currently the only way for mobile users to delete their Discord Account.
How to Permanently Delete Your Discord Account
Decided to take the full plunge and cut ties with Discord completely? Not a problem. It is pretty much the same procedure as disabling your account with a different ending. As said previously, for those on mobile, you will need to contact support to have your account deleted.
Before deleting your account, you must either reassign administrative rights to your servers or delete them completely. If you need to transfer the ownership of your Discord Server, read this article.
To Delete Your Account:
- Pull up Discord on your screen.
- Once logged in, head to your User Settings (the cog icon).
- Choose to edit your account. At the bottom of the window, you will see the option to Delete Account. Click it to make your account disappear for good.
You will likely be prompted to enter your password and your 2FA code as well before completing the process. Oh, and by the way, for the deletion to work, you will actually have to do a few things prior. If you happen to be the owner of a server (or multiple), you will need to either transfer ownership to a trusted source or delete the server.
To transfer ownership:
- While in the Discord app, click on the server name and open the Server Settings.
- Under User Management, find and click on the Members on the left side menu.
- Here you will make the big decision on who gets the keys to the kingdom. Once you have decided who to put in charge, hover over the user’s name and click on the three vertical white dots.
- From the dialog menu, click on ‘Transfer Ownership.’
Once the transfer is complete, you will then become just a regular member of the server, depending on the role provided. Your access retained within the server is limited to the permissions tied to that role.
If your server has no one trustworthy to hand it off to, or you do not really care one way or the other, you might as well just delete it. To delete a server:
- Go to Server Settings just as we did above.
- On the left side menu, scroll down only this time go past User Management and instead directly to ‘Delete Server.’
- Click ‘Delete Server‘ and confirm the deletion by entering your account password to erase the server from existence completely. If you enabled two-factor authorization on your account, just like for account deletion, you will be required to enter the code provided before deleting the server.
You will then be prompted to press the Delete Server button one last time before it is all said and done. Once you have deleted your account, you have 14 days to recover it. After that two-week time, you will no longer be able to log in or retrieve any information from the account.
Once your account is gone, your username will appear as DeletedUser 0000 or something of that nature. People you have messaged with in the past will continue to see your messages. To permanently delete all traces of your Discord account, contact Discord Support.
Frequently Asked Questions
Deleting your Discord account is a big step, so we have the answers to other questions you may have.
If I delete my account, do all of my messages disappear?
No. If you delete your account, your username will default to discorduser#0000. But, all your messages, pictures you’ve sent, and texts will remain.
Can I restart my Discord account?
As stated previously, you can reactivate your account within 14 days. If you’ve contacted Discord’s support team for cancellation, you won’t be able to reactivate it, but you can create a brand new account.
How do I delete all of my messages?
If you’re prepared to delete your Discord account but would like to take your messages with you, we have a full tutorial here to help you do it! You can choose to delete specific messages individually, or if you’re an Admin of a server, you can add a bot to do it for you.
So Long Discord
Deleting your Discord account is easy, but deciding to do away with it may not be. If you’ve decided to do away with this Discord, following the instructions above will get the job done!
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
5 thoughts on “How To Delete a Discord Account”