How To DM Someone in Discord
Discord is a messaging application popular among gamers. Using servers and group chats, friends can communicate quickly with each other through group chats or direct messages.
Direct messaging allows you to converse with someone who is not a member of the same servers. When a private conversation is necessary or preferred, Discord offers both Direct Messages (DM) and Group Chat.
Here’s how to DM someone on Discord.
What is a Discord DM?
Discord’s direct messages allow you to have one-on-one conversations with other users in the Discord community. These are private conversations that won’t be seen on a public chat server.
You can send direct messages and start group chats regardless of the server in which you’re all currently engaged. If you’re stuck trying to figure out how to send a DM, read on to learn more.
How to Send a Direct Message in Discord
Whether you’re using a PC or Mac, Android, or an iOS device (iPhones and iPad), here’s how you can send a direct message to someone in Discord.
Note: Before getting started, it’s important to mention some users may have their DM settings set to “Friends Only,” meaning you won’t be able to message them unless they’re on your friends’ list.
Send DMs via PC & Mac
If you have a PC or a Mac, follow these instructions to send a DM:
- Log in to Discord.
- Click the Discord icon at the top right of the screen and choose Friends from the list.
- Swap to the All tab to see all friends available on your list, or keep it on the Online tab to message a friend currently online.
- Click on the user you’d like to message. This will open up a Direct Message between you.
- Enter your message in the text box and press ENTER to send the message.
- To DM a member of a server you are a member of, log in to the Discord server by clicking on it from the server menu on the far left side.
- Scroll through the list of member names from the menu to the far right until you find who you’re looking for.
- Right-click the member’s name and choose Message in the dialogue menu.
- Enter your message into the text box and press ENTER to send the message.
Now you know how to DM on a PC or a Mac, but what about for mobile? Next, we’ll show you how to send Direct Messages for Android devices and your iOS devices (iPhone and iPad).
Send DMs via Android Devices
- Log in to Discord.
- Make sure you’re on the Direct Messages section of the app; if not, tap the direct messages icon in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Choose a contact from your list of friends.
- Tap the text box at the bottom to create a DM.
- Enter your message and tap Send.
Send DMs via iOS Devices
- Log in to Discord.
- Tap the Friends logo at the bottom of the screen. You may need to tap the three white lines to get to this window.
- Tap on the recipient’s name to pull up a window.
- Tap Message in the pop-up window.
- Type your message and tap Send.
How to Create a Discord Group Chat
When it comes to creating a group chat, you’re only allowed to invite those who are on your Friends List.
Once all those you want to add to the Group Chat have been made friends, a new button labeled “New Group DM” will be available.
Click on this button at the top-right of the window to open a window with all of your friends.
You can add up to 9 friends to a Group Chat, which, counting you, makes a total of 10 Discord users.
Another way to open up a Group Chat is by adding additional friends to a conversation already in progress. Open up a DM in progress between yourself and a friend, and at the top-right of the window, then click the Add Friends To DM button.
This keeps the DM available between you and the original recipient separate and opens up a new conversation between the two of you and additional friends.
Kicking Members Out of a Group Chat
Any member in the Group Chat can add additional members (up to the maximum). However, only the individual who started the Group Chat can actually kick anyone out of it.
To remove a member from the Group Chat:
- To the right side of the window, locate the list of Group Chat members.
- Find the member you want to be kicked out and right-click on the name.
- From the options provided, choose Remove From Group.
How to DM Someone Who Isn’t a Friend
Assuming you’re on a server with someone who isn’t your friend and you’d like to send them a direct message, it is possible if you follow these steps:
- Tap on the icon that looks like two people together. Scroll down and tap on the user that you’d like to message.
- Tap on the option to Message.
- Next, you can type and send your message like you usually would.
As mentioned previously, if you do not have this option, it’s likely due to the user’s privacy settings. In that case, you can send them a friend request to begin messaging.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here are the answers to more questions you may have about sending messages on Discord.
How do I know who is a moderator or admin on Discord?
If you’re on a server and need to private message an admin or moderator, you can quickly find them in the menu to the right of the Discord chat. Look at the very top of the channel’s members, and you will see those with administrator privileges.
Right-click on the user you’d like to chat with and click Message. Then, you can message the moderator or admin privately.
Can I unsend a DM on Discord?
Yes! If you unsend a DM on Discord, it will disappear for you and the recipient. You can even unsend the message days later. Another neat aspect of Discord’s unsend feature is the recipient won’t receive a notification that a message was removed. This means you can unsend chats, and the recipient will never know.