How to Download Animated GIFs
GIFs are a fun way to spice up your online communication. These days you can even find them in business emails. If you want to join the digital revolution, you have to have an extensive GIF library.
Fortunately, the internet is flooded with animated images and video loops. In this article, we’ll show you how to download animated GIFs and where the best places are to get them.
How to Download Animated GIFs?
GIFs (or Graphics Interchange Formats) were first introduced in the 1980s by the CompuServe Corporation. Back then, their primary purpose was to enable operating systems to generate high-resolution images. These days, however, GIFs are an integral part of internet culture and online communication.
Usually, GIFs contain titbits of quirky animation played in loops. Depending on the content, the format can vary, but they’re generally 8-bits wide.
You can find GIFs pretty much anywhere on the internet. Most browsers have built-in software that allows you to open and view them. If you want to share a GIF as a message, it’s quite simple. Here’s how to do it:
- Select the gif URL from your browser.
- Copy the link by right-clicking it or using the ‘’CTRL + C’’ keyboard shortcut.
- Open the chat room or website where you want to share the GIF.
- Paste it by right-clicking it or using the ‘’CTRL + V’’ keyboard shortcut.
However, if the page you got the GIF from removed it from its database, the link won’t work. The easiest solution is to save the file to your local drive so you can use it whenever you like. Here’s how to download animated GIFs from a website:
- Hover your cursor over the GIF and then right-click on it.
- Choose “Save Image As” from the list of options.
- Decide where you want to save it and then click on the folder.
- Add a title and make sure the format remains the same. If the extension is anything other than .gif, the animation won’t work.
- Click “Save” to complete the download.
Once you’re done, you can find the GIF in your chosen folder. You can use it as often as you like – just keep in mind not all platforms support the format.
How to Download Animated GIFs on iPhone?
Unfortunately, Safari doesn’t have a built-in download manager. If you’re an iOS user, you’re going to have to do it manually with a few extra steps. Here’s how to download animated GIFs on an iPhone Camera Roll:
- Open your browser and find the GIF you want to download.
- Click on the GIF to open it. Don’t save it as a search result; the format will be unreadable.
- Press down on the GIF to open a menu.
- Choose “Save Image” from the list of options.
- Exit the browser and open the “Photos” app.
- Go to “Albums” and scroll to the bottom of the screen. There’s a list of all media in your device under “Media Types.”
- Open the “Animated” section by clicking on the little arrow on the right-hand side.
- Your downloaded GIF will be stored there, ready for use.
If the GIF doesn’t appear to be moving, don’t worry. The iPhone Photos app doesn’t support the format, but once you send it – it should work just fine. Only iOS 11 devices can show .gif files as animation.
Another way to download GIFs to your iPhone is by using a third-party app. It’s a great alternative to storing GIFs on your local drive without taking up space. GIFwrapped is one of the more popular free apps available for Apple devices. Here’s how to use it:
- Go to the Apple App Store and download GIFwrapped.
- Once the download is complete, click on the icon to open the app.
- Browse the app for GIFs. You can also use the “Search” option to find specific GIFs (for example, babypanda.gif).
- When you find a GIF you like, click to open it. Press down to open a list of options.
- Choose to “Save to Library.”
GIFwrapped is just one of many apps with an extensive library of popular GIFs from all over the web. You can use the Search Function on the App Store to find more free apps that allow you to download GIFs on your iPhone.
How to Download Animated GIFs on Android?
Unlike iPhones, Android devices allow you to download files directly from the browser. Whenever you run into a GIF you like, you can save it to your phone in just a few steps. Here’s how to download animated GIFs on an Android:
- Open your browser and go to the website containing the GIF you want to download.
- Click on the GIF to open it. Press down to open a pop-up window.
- Select “Save Image” or “Download Image” from the list of options.
- Exit the browser and open your photo gallery to find the downloaded GIF. Sometimes it’s automatically saved to “Downloads”, so don’t worry if you can’t locate it in the “Gallery” app.
There are also third-party apps that allow you to integrate GIFs into your messages. One of the most popular GIF apps for Android devices is GIF Keyboard by Tenor. Here’s how to use it:
- Open Google Play Store and type ‘’GIF Keyboard’’ in the Search box. Double-check if Tenor is the issuer.
- Click “Install” to download the app.
- Once the installation is complete, open the app by clicking on the icon.
- Allow the app to access your Contacts and local storage space.
- You can now use GIF Keyboard to share gifs on other apps such as WhatsApp and Facebook Messenger.
How to Download Animated GIFs on Windows, Mac, and Chromebook?
Almost all browsers and computers have integrated viewing software that supports .gif files. If you’re a Windows OS user, you can download GIFs directly from Microsoft Edge, Google Chrome, or any other browser. The same goes for macOS and Chrome OS devices.
Regardless of the type of computer you have, the steps are almost identical. Here’s how to download animated GIFs on Windows, Mac, and Chromebook computers:
- Open your browser.
- Find the GIF you want to download. It doesn’t have to be from a specific website, like Tumblr or Pinterest. You can literally browse for GIFs by typing “animated GIFs” in your search engine.
- When you find a GIF you like, click to open it. Then right-click to open a pop-up menu.
- Choose to “Save Image As” or “Download Image,” depending on the browser.
- Click on the folder where you want to save the image, and click “Save.”
Although the default extension is .gif, you can also download GIFs to your computer as videos. That means you’ll be able to open it with your media player. Here’s how to do it:
- Open your browser and find an online MP4 converter. For example, online-convert.com is a free online converter.
- Copy the URL of the GIF you want to convert.
- Click to “Convert File.”
- Once the file is fully converted, click the “Download” button.
- Exit the Browser and open the MP4 file in your media player.
How Do I Download a GIF From Giphy?
Giphy is probably the most popular online GIF database. The website interface is divided into categories (e.g. Reactions, Animals, Trending), which makes it extremely user-friendly.
You can download GIFs directly from the website in just a few simple steps. Here’s how to do it:
1. Open your browser and go to giphy.com.
2. Browse the website by clicking on different categories.
3. When you find a GIF you like, click on the thumbnail to open it.
4. Right-click to “Save Image” or “Download Image,” depending on the browser.
5. Rename the file, but don’t change the original .gif extension.
6. Click “Save” to finish the download.
If you want to save your GIFs as MP4 files, Giphy has a built-in video converter. Here’s how to download animated GIFs from Giphy as videos:
1. Click on the GIF you want to convert.
2. On the left-hand side panel, open the “Media” tab.
3. Find the MP4 bar (second-to-last one) and click on “Copy.”
4. Open a new tab in your browser and paste the copied URL into the search engine.
5. Right-click on the video to open a pop-up menu.
6. Choose “Save Video As” from the options.
How Do You Make a GIF Online?
If you want to make custom GIFs, you can use an online GIF creator. The process is incredibly simple and usually completely free.
GIFMaker is among the most popular online GIF generators. It allows you to upload both images and videos and convert them into GIFs. The website doesn’t require registration and it offers many customizing options. Here’s how to make a gif online by using GIFMaker:
1. Open your browser and go to gifmaker.me.
2. Click on “Upload Images” or “Video to GIF”, depending on your file.
3. Choose the file you want to upload by clicking on it. You can select multiple files by holding ‘’CTRL’’ or ⌘ and clicking on each one.
4. Make sure the file is either in .jpg, .png or .gif format.
5. There’s a “Control Panel” on the left-hand side. You can adjust the animation speed, the number of repeats, and other settings there.
6. Once you’re done, choose the appropriate option below (e.g. “Create GIF Animation”).
7. You can click “View the GIF” before you download it. If you’re unsatisfied, you can go back to the Control Panel and change the settings.
8. To save the file click “Download the GIF.”
How Do I Create an Animated Picture?
There’s a wide range of tools you can use to create animated pictures or GIFs. Depending on what kind of operating system you have, you can download different programs. Most photo editors, such as Adobe Photoshop, are suitable for creating animated images.
Here are some animated photo makers you can use to make gifs or other forms of short animation:
· Gif Toaster (available on Google Play as well)
· Sketch Me! (Windows OS only)
There’s really no shortage of websites where you can find the perfect GIF. You can download them to all your devices in just a few simple steps. There’s also a wide range of GIF apps available for both iPhone and Androids, respectively.
If you want to shake things up and make your own GIFs, you can do that as well. Download a photo editor compatible with your OS or simply use an online GIF creator.
How often do you use GIFs in your everyday communication? Have you ever made a custom GIF? Share some of your favorite GIFs in the comments below.