How to Download Apps on an Android TV
Android TV is an excellent product for anyone who wants a versatile device for easy content streaming. If you have recently purchased yours, you must be eager to explore what it can do for you. The best way to get started is to download your favorite apps.
But how can you do so, and can you install any software you want? This article has the answers. We’ll share step-by-step instructions for installing apps from Google Play and also from other sources.
How to Download Apps From the App Store on an Android TV
The most straightforward way to download apps on your Android TV is from its official app store, Google Play. If you have an Android phone, you’re already familiar with how this marketplace works. But even if you’ve never used it before, you’ll notice how easy it is to get around.
Here are the instructions for downloading an app to your Android TV from Google Play Store:
- Turn on your TV and navigate to the home screen.
- Go to “Apps” and open the Google Play Store. Since this is Android’s default app marketplace, it will be pre-installed on your TV.
- Look for the apps in the store. You can use the search bar to find the products you want. To browse through the selection, scroll up and down between categories. Once you find a category you’re interested in, navigate to the right to see the items in it.
- Select the game or app you want to download.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to install the software on your Android TV.
If you’re about to download a premium app, you may be prompted to add your payment details. Just follow the on-screen instructions to add your preferred payment method.
Note that you can only download apps that are compatible with your TV. They can be different from those available on mobile devices.
You can see a list of all your downloaded apps and games by doing the following:
- Navigate to the TV’s home screen and scroll down to “Settings.”
- Open the “Apps” section.
Alternately, you can check your downloaded apps in the Play Store:
- Open the Play Store app on your TV.
- Select “My apps” from the top.
- Press “Apps installed” and go to the app you want to open.
If you notice an “Updates available” sign under any app from the list, you can follow the update to optimize your app.
As you can see, downloading apps from the official marketplace is a breeze. But how can you download and install APK files? Find out below.
How to Download APK Apps and Install on an Android TV
Android TV users can download and install apps in the APK file format. The process is relatively simple, although it comes with quite a few steps.
You can install APK files by sending them from your smartphone to your Android TV. You can also use USB flash drives, a microSD card, or an even more straightforward way: send the files from your phone directly to your TV.
We’ll cover details on how to transfer APK files from your smartphone to your Android TV using two methods: the “Send Files to TV” app and a cloud service.
But there’s something you need to do beforehand.
Allow Apps Coming From an Unknown Source
Since APK files are typically installed outside the Play Store, your Android TV will recognize them as coming from “Unknown Sources.” You have to allow the system to accept them as such. Here’s how to do so:
- Navigate to the “Settings” menu from your Android TV’s home page.
- Scroll to the “Security and Restrictions” section.
- Look for the “Unknown Sources” toggle in the “Security” menu. Hit the toggle to turn it on.
- Accept the warning to finish with the setup.
Now that we’ve got this out of the way let’s proceed with the main instructions.
Transfer APK Files to Your Android TV Using Send Files to TV
You can use an app called “Send Files to TV” to transfer any file type to your TV, including APKs. Just follow the steps below:
- Install the “Send Files to TV” app from the link above on your Android TV and your smartphone.
- Get a file manager app for your Android TV like the File Commander.
- Download the APK file on your smartphone.
- Start the “Send Files to TV” app on both devices. Follow the on-screen instructions to access the main screen with the “Send” and “Receive” buttons.
- Hit “Send” on your smartphone and find the APK file.
- Select your Android TV from the device list.
- The file will be available in the “Downloads” folder on your TV.
The Send Files to TV app can only transfer files to your TV but does not install them.
Install APK Files on Android TV
To proceed with the installation, follow the steps below:
- Open the File Commander app you previously downloaded on your TV.
- Click on the “Internal Storage” option.
- Look for the APK file you sent from your mobile device. It’s in the “Downloads” folder by default.
- Press the file name or icon and select “Install.” If you get a prompt saying the app comes from an unknown source, enable this option by following the instructions mentioned in the “Allow Apps Coming from an Unknown Source” section.
- Wait for the installation to complete so you can start using the app on your TV.
Transfer and Install APK Files to Your Android TV Using a Cloud
Another easy way to sideload an app is by using cloud storage software such as OneDrive, Google Drive, or Dropbox. You’ll need to install File Commander or another file manager app on your TV to use this method.
Thanks to File Commander’s integration with popular cloud services, you can instantly transfer and install the APK files on your TV. Just follow the steps below:
- After you download the APK file on your smartphone, upload it to your preferred cloud storage app.
- Open the File Commander app on your TV.
- Navigate to the menu and find the “Add Cloud” option.
- Select your cloud storage platform and log into your account. The TV may ask you to allow permission, which you should do.
- Locate the APK file on your cloud account.
- Select the file. There will be a message that says “Staging app.”
- Wait for the installation process to complete so you can start using the app on your Android TV.
Ready to Load Your Android TV With Apps?
Android TVs are perfect for installing third-party apps. You can choose between thousands of Play Store options or go for APK files you downloaded elsewhere.
The easiest ways to download APKs are with the “Send Files to TV” app or cloud storage. Regardless of the transfer type, it’s recommended that you install a reliable file manager to install APK files.
What was the first app you downloaded on your Android TV? Did you use File Commander or another file manager app? Share your experience in the comments below.