How To Edit a TikTok Caption after Posting
The design and usability of TikTok are very straightforward, and the app makes video creation and interaction as easy as possible. The sheer volume of features and options on the app makes it complex.
Can you edit a TikTok caption after posting? Can you edit a Tok Tok video after uploading it? Can you remove a video once it is uploaded? These questions are just a tiny handful asked from readers, and it’s worth looking at all of them. Read on to learn how you can edit a TikTok caption after posting.
Editing a TikTok Caption after Posting
TikTok does not give you the option to edit the caption of a video after posting. However, there is a workaround, so you don’t have to record and re-post the same content.
Assuming you catch the issue with the caption early on in the video’s life, it’s relatively easy to fix the problem by re-uploading the same video onto your profile.
Follow these steps to update the caption:
- Tap the “Me“ icon on the lower right-hand side of your screen
- Select the video, then tap the “horizontal ellipsis” (three horizontal dots) on the right.
- Select “Save Video.”
- After saving the video, repost it with the new caption. Click on the “+” symbol located at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the “Upload” option on the right-hand side of the red record button.
- You’ll see a list of your pictures and videos. Select the one you’ve already saved from TikTok, then tap “Next.”
- Once again, tap on “Next” in the upper-right corner. You can add text, stickers, and change effects on this page.
- For a third time, tap “Next” in the bottom-right section of the screen.
- Update the caption and change your audience preferences.
- Select “Post.”
- Now, your newly updated content appears in your timeline, but delete the original video. From the home page, tap the “Me” icon at the bottom.
- Select the video you’d like to remove, then tap on the “horizontal ellipsis” (three horizontal dots) on the right side of the video.
- In the row of options displayed above the “Cancel” link, scroll to the right (if applicable) and choose “Delete.”
- Confirm your choice by tapping on “DELETE.”
The downside to using the above steps is that you will lose any comments or likes the initially posted video received. However, if you caught the issue with the caption early enough, you shouldn’t miss out on much engagement.
How to Make Edits to a Draft
As you can see, making edits isn’t easy. You have to download the video, reupload it, make edits, then post it on TikTok. But, you can avoid this hassle if you first post your video as a draft.
A draft is an unpublished video that others can’t view. But, you can still go back and make changes. Here’s how to make edits to a draft:
- Open TikTok and visit your profile. Then, tap on Drafts. Select the video you’d like to edit and publish.
- Tap on the back arrow in the upper left corner.
- Make any necessary edits to music, text, etc. Then, tap Next at the bottom.
- Edit your captions, audience, and cover photo. Then, tap Post to publish your video or Drafts to save it and make more edits later.
Note: Beware that your drafts are saved to your TikTok account. If you delete the TikTok app or clear the cache, all your drafts will be deleted.
TikTok Post FAQs
This section will answer more of your questions about TikTok.
How do you add text to a TikTok video?
You can add text to your TikTok videos after recording the video in the app, and you have tapped on the checkmark. You click the text field in the right-hand corner, then more video options appear, including text color and font. When finished adding text to your TikTok, add any other filter you wish to add, then finalize it.
Can I add captions to a draft after saving it?
Absolutely! You can make a lot of edits to your drafts to perfect them before posting. You only need to tap on the draft you’d like to update and add your captions. Then, you can either re-save the video as a draft or post it for everyone to see.
How do you trim a video on TikTok?
To trim a TikTok video, press the “+” button to record a new one.
Once you record the video, tap the “add a sound” option in the upper right corner, then hit the “red button” to record the sound. Press the “Check” icon at the bottom right, and then you’ll find the “Trim” icon in the upper right corner.
Once done editing the length of your video, press the “Next” button, and you can add effects.
Can I change the soundtrack to a TikTok video?
Changing the soundtrack is a little more tricky. Because the audio is saved in the original video, you won’t be able to dub the audio without a third-party editing app. As most TikTok videos are lip-synced, changing the soundtrack may break synchronization. The soundtrack is added as a layer to the video during creation and is then saved as a single file.
This method does take you back to the editing screen, though, so it’s certainly worth a shot.
Can I control who can comment on my TikTok video?
Yes, you can. It’s a blanket control in that you can control who can comment on every video you upload rather than individual ones, but you can do it. The setting is in the Privacy menu.
1. Tap the vertical ellipsis (three-dot icon) from TikTok’s main screen.
2. Select Privacy from the next screen.
3. Change Safety settings for Who Can Send Me Comments.
Set who can send you comments to “Everyone” to make your account public, “Friends” to make it friends only. You get the idea. You also see the options “Who Can Duet With Me,” “Who Can React to Me,” and “Who Can Send Me Messages” in the same section. You can edit these in the same way to control who can contact you while using the app.