How To Edit a TikTok Caption After Posting
TikTok is both simple and complex at the same time. The design and usability are very straightforward, and the app makes video creation and interaction as easy as possible. The sheer volume of features and options on the app is what makes it complex.
Can you edit a TikTok caption after posting? Can you edit a video after uploading it? Can I remove a video if I want to once I upload it? We have received quite a few questions from readers, and it’s worth taking a look at all three. Read on to learn how you can edit a TikTok caption after posting.
How to Upload TikTok Videos
First, it is important to understand the upload process. At the bottom of the TikTok home screen, you’ll see a ‘+’ sign. This is how you add new videos.
When you click this ‘+’ you’re taken to the recording screen. From there, you can select the length of your video and click the red button to start recording. Once this is done, you hit the red button again to stop the recording and click the red checkmark to move on.
This takes you to the editing page. The next steps will show you how to get back to this page using a workaround so that you can update the caption after posting.
Editing a TikTok Caption after Posting
TikTok does not give you the option to edit the caption of a video after posting; however, there is a workaround so you don’t have to record and re-post the same content again.
Assuming you catch the issue with the caption early on in the video’s life, it’s relatively easy to fix the problem by re-uploading the same video onto your profile.
Follow these steps to update the Caption:
- Tap the “Me” icon on the lower left-hand side of your screen
- Here, you will see all of the videos you’ve posted. Tap on the video with the caption you wish to change.
- Tap the “horizontal ellipsis” (three horizontal dots) on the right.
- Select “Save Video.”
- After saving is completed, re-post the exact same video with the new caption. Click on the “+” symbol located at the bottom of the screen.
- Tap the “Upload” button on the right-hand side.
- You’ll see a list of your pictures and videos. Select the one you’ve already saved from TikTok, then tap “Next.”
- Once again, tap on “Next” in the upper-right corner. On this page, you can add text, stickers, and change effects.
- For a third time, tap “Next” in the bottom-right section of the screen.
- Update the caption and change your audience preferences.
- Select “Post.”
- Now, your newly updated content will appear in your timeline, and you need to delete the original video. From the home page, tap the “Me” icon located at the bottom.
- Select the video you’d like to remove.
- Tap on the “horizontal ellipsis” (three horizontal dots) on the right side of your video.
- In the row of options displayed above the “Cancel” link, scroll to the right and choose “Delete.”
- Confirm your choice by tapping on “DELETE.”
The downside to this, of course, is that you will lose any comments or likes the video received. However, if you caught the issue with the caption early enough, you shouldn’t miss out on much engagement, while simultaneously getting to fix your newest video.
How do you add text to a TikTok video?
You can add a text caption to your TikTok videos after you are done with your video and you press the checkmark. After you press this checkmark, there will be more options available for you. In the right-hand corner, you can click the text field, and more options will come up, including text color and font. When you’re done adding text to your TikTok, add any other filter you wish to add, then finalize your TikTok.
How do you trim a video on TikTok?
To trim a TikTok video, press the “+” button, which will record a new video.
Once you record this video, tap the “add a sound” at the upper right corner, then hit the “red button” to record. Press the “Check” icon at the bottom right; then, you’ll find the “Trim” icon in the upper right corner.
Once done, press the “Next” button, and you can add the effects to your video.
Can I change the soundtrack to a TikTok video?
Changing the soundtrack is a little more tricky. Because the audio is saved in the original video, you won’t be able to dub the audio without a third-party editing app to do so. As most TikTok videos are lip-synced, changing the soundtrack may break the video. The soundtrack is added as a layer to the video during creation and is then saved as a single file.
This method does take you back to the editing screen though, so it’s certainly worth a shot.
Can I control who can comment on my TikTok video?
Yes, you can. It’s a blanket control in that you can control who can comment on every video you upload rather than individual ones, but you can do it. The setting is in the Privacy menu.
1. Tap the vertical ellipsis (three-dot icon) from TikTok’s main screen.
2. Select Privacy from the next screen.
3. Change Safety settings for Who Can Send Me Comments.
Set who can send you comments to “Everyone” to make your account public, “Friends” to make it friends only. You get the idea. You also see the options “Who Can Duet With Me,” “Who Can React to Me,” and “Who Can Send Me Messages” in the same section. You can edit these in the same way to control who can contact you while using the app.