How to Export a Design to PDF in Figma
Unlike similar graphics editing apps, Figma recognized the users’ want to export their designs to PDF and be able to share them with other team members, artists, or clients. In 2018, Figma introduced their own PDF Export that allows quick and easy conversion of designs to PDF.
If you want to know how to export to PDF in Figma, you’ve come to the right place. This article will discuss various ways to do it within the desktop and mobile app.
How to Export to PDF in Figma on a PC
You can use several methods to export to PDF in Figma, depending on the effect you want to achieve.
The first one is to do it through the properties tab:
- Choose the layers you want to export. If you want to export all of them, make sure to deselect them.
- Go to the Properties panel.
- Choose “PDF” under “Export.”
- Export the file under a preferred name.
By doing this, you’ll create a separate PDF file for every layer you’ve exported.
If you want to export all frames to a single PDF file, you can do it through the File menu. In that case, each frame will be a separate page in the PDF, in the same order as in Figma. Follow the steps below to use this method:
- When you’re done with your design, tap Figma logo at the top-left corner to open the File menu.
- Press “Export Frames to PDF.”
When you want to move frames around or customize quality before exporting, we recommend installing an extension called TinyImage Compression:
- Open Figma and go to the browse tab.
- Press “Community.”
- Type “TinyImage Compressor” in the search bar and select “Plugins.”
- Press “Install.”
- Once you’ve installed it, select the frames you want to export and ensure “PDF” is selected in the properties tab on the right.
- Press “Plugins” and select “TinyImage Compressor,” or right-click anywhere on the canvas and press “Plugins.”
- Customize the quality of the file, thus changing the file size and press “Create a PDF.”
- Customize the frames’ position by dragging and dropping. You can also assign a password to the PDF file.
- Press “Export Frames to Merged PDF.”
Your PDF file will be exported to the preferred destination. The extension isn’t free, but you get 15 free trials. After that, you can decide whether the extension is worth the money.
If you want only a few items from your canvas to export to PDF, or your canvas is cluttered, there’s another method you can use.
The process is simpler for Mac users since they have the tools from Preview available, which allows them to work with PDFs without installing other programs:
- Select the layers you want to export.
- In the Properties tab, ensure “PDF” is selected under “Export.”
- Press “Export [number] layers.”
Can I Export to PDF in Figma on an iPhone?
Figma has a mobile version named “Figma Mirror.” This app allows you to see your designs on an actual device and track changes. You only need to log in with the same username and password to access the designs you have opened on your desktop.
Although this is a great way to keep track of your progress, Figma Mirror doesn’t allow you to edit the design through your phone. This means there’s no way to export the design to PDF using your iPhone. If you want the file exported to PDF, you’ll have to do it through the desktop app and then send it to your phone.
Can I Export to PDF in Figma on an Android Device?
Again, it is not possible to export to PDF directly from your phone. “Figma Mirror” is the mobile version of Figma. The app enables you to view the designs on your phone while working on them within the desktop app. Whenever you make changes to your designs, you can see the changes happen on your Android device.
Exporting to PDF in Figma Is Not an Enigma
If you want to print your Figma designs or share them with other people, it is essential to learn how to export them to PDF. At the moment, it’s only possible to do it on a PC, and you can choose a method depending on what you want to achieve.
How do you export to PDF in Figma? Do you use one of the above mentioned methods? Tell us in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.