Where to Find Free Instagram Reel Templates
It seems as if the world is obsessed with watching Instagram Reels. These easily watched short videos have become wildly popular, with millions of viewers per day. Influencers and creators constantly try to outdo each other by being more creative with their uploads. Reel templates have made the creation process much easier.
You don’t have to be an Instagram influencer with thousands of followers to make fun reels. Using premade templates, you can easily add fun and flair to your videos and then upload them to the Instagram Reels feed.
Instagram Reel Templates Explained
With a premade template, you can use the same music and timing found in the original Reel and replace the videos or photos used with your own. Only Instagram Reels with music and at least three clips are available to be used as a template. Using a template, you can easily copy the Reel timing that syncs with the music. From there, you can quickly drop in your own photos or videos and not have to worry about manually adjusting the timing of each clip.
Previously, you’d have to edit your Reels outside of Instagram to ensure that each video or photo was timed properly to the music. However, you can do this quickly using an Instagram template. The process is extremely streamlined with pre-loaded audio and convenient photo or video placeholders that show how long they’ll be displayed.
It’s important to note that you must have the latest version of Instagram for the templates option. The feature is relatively new, and without the latest update, you may not see it as an available option. Also noteworthy is that not all Instagram Reels will have the template option. They need to contain music and a minimum of three clips to have this option.
If you don’t see the template option and your app is up to date, it’s probably because the Reel you chose doesn’t meet the requirements.
Using an Instagram Reel Template
Now that you know what an Instagram Reel Template is, you might be tempted to make your own. Thankfully, this isn’t a difficult or time-consuming process. Finding one you like is the longest part of using an Instagram template for a Reel. You’ll have to do it using the mobile app. Currently, it’s not possible to upload Instagram Reels on the desktop site.
Reusing an Existing Instagram Reel
If this is something that interests you, follow the steps below:
- Launch the Instagram app for iPhone or Android.
- Press the Reels icon at the screen’s bottom center.
- Scroll through the Reels feed until you’ve found the one you’d like to imitate.
- Click on the three dots icon on the right side of the screen.
- Press on Use as template.
- At the bottom of the screen, you’ll see placeholders for your photos or videos, along with how long each clip is.
- Tap on each placeholder and select the photo or video you’d like to use.
- Once they are all loaded, tap the Next button. You’ll see a preview of your Reel.
- You can select a cover for your Reel by selecting Edit clips. This step is optional.
- Hit the blue Share button.
Instagram Reel Templates using the Video Editor
Another way to use an Instagram Reel template without scrolling through the feed is to use the video editor.
Here’s how to do it:
- Launch Instagram on your iPhone or Android device.
- Tap the Reels icon on the bottom-center part of the screen.
- Click the Camera icon located in the top right corner.
- On the bottom of the screen, press on Templates.
- Here you can swipe to the left and see available templates. Once you find one you like, tap on Use Template.
- At the bottom of the screen, you’ll see placeholders along with how long each clip is. Click on each placeholder and add a photo or video from your phone that you’d like to use.
- Once completed, hit Next.
- On this screen, you’ll see a preview of your Reel. You can select a cover by pressing Edit clips, but this step is optional.
- Press the blue Share button, and your Reel will be sent to the Instagram Reels feed.
That’s all there is to it. Your video will be shared in the Instagram Reels feed.
Try Canva for Free Instagram Reel Templates
If you find that scrolling through Instagram to find available Reel templates is too time-consuming, there’s another avenue you can explore. It isn’t as simple as replacing photos and videos, but this one has many different themes and design options.
Canva has hundreds of Instagram Reel templates to choose from. Using the free version of their editing software, you can scroll through the available templates and make the changes you want. Just upload your photos and videos to your Canva account and remove the images or videos from the template you choose, replacing them with your own. You can also add text and design elements to create your own unique Instagram Reel.
Canva has a free mobile app for iPhone and Android, or you can use the website version.
Once you’ve created the perfect Reel, all you need to do is upload it to Instagram. If you’ve made it on your mobile phone, just launch the Instagram app and upload. For those who used the desktop version, you’ll need to transfer the file to your mobile phone first. Instagram only allows uploading Reels with the mobile app.
With Canva’s wide selection of available free Instagram templates, you will save time and be able to create unique Reels. Creating a high-quality Reel isn’t as difficult as you think with its drop-and-drag interface. Once you’ve selected a template you like, you can add your photos and video clips.
Save Time with Instagram Reel Templates
It’s impossible to pick which free Instagram Reel templates are the best. With an almost infinite amount available, it’s up to the user to decide what they like. Instagram Reel creators can choose available templates by scrolling through the Reels feed or downloading them from available websites. Either way, these templates are incredibly time-saving and help those who are “creatively challenged” produce high-quality Reels.
Have you used a free Instagram Reel template? Did you find one within Instagram, or did you use a different method? Let us know in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.