How to Make Someone an Admin in GMOD
GMOD (short for Garry’s Mod) is a Half-Life 2 modification where you can create videos, pictures and manipulate various in-game objects. When running your GMOD server, you need to decide who’ll be tasked with the admin role. But how exactly do you make someone admin in this game?
In this entry, we’ll explain how you can assign the admin role to other players in GMOD. With this knowledge, you’ll be able to grant other users previously inaccessible privileges.
How to Make Someone an Admin With GMOD ULX
ULX is an administrator mod that provides you with more control over the players in your GMOD server. It offers server admins AMXX-style support, enabling multiple administrators to access the same server on different levels.
There are three methods for making someone admin with GMOD ULX. Each requires you to enter a command.
The first command you can enter is “ulx adduser <your username> superadmin”. This command will need to be performed from your server console. You’ll also need to ensure you have a stable connection to the server. Furthermore, if you’re not the owner, i.e., you’re renting the server from third parties, you’ll need to use a different method.
The second method doesn’t require a connection to your server. Here’s what it looks like:
- Start the game.
- Launch the console by pressing the appropriate button. It’s usually the tilde symbol (“~”) on your keyboard.
- Enter the following command: “
ulx adduserid <Steam_ID> superadmin”.
As you can see, you’ll need to know your Steam ID to apply this method. You must also use a proper format, such as STEAM_0:1:654321. If you can’t remember your Steam ID, take the following steps to reveal it:
- Open Steam and press the “View” button in the upper-left section of the display.
- Select “Settings,” followed by “Interface.”
- Tick the “Display web address bar when available” box.
- Click the “OK” button to save the settings.
- Select your username, and the platform should reveal your ID.
- Navigate to your username and choose “Profile.”
- Press the “Edit Profile” button in the right-hand part of the screen.
- Remove all text from your “Custom URL” section.
- Select “Save,” and your ID should now be displayed in your URL.
If you’ve previously created a custom URL, you’ll need to perform a few extra steps to access your ID:
The first two techniques are the easiest ways to make someone an admin with ULX. However, there’s a third, more complicated method that requires you to mod the GMOD file. Here’s what it consists of:
- Shut down the server.
- Navigate to the users.txt file. It should be located in the settings subfolder in your GMOD main folder.
- Inside the file, locate the “superadmin” section.
- Replace the Steam ID and the “garry” part with the username and ID of the new administrator. Remove the “//” symbols in front of your name.
- Restart the server and connect to it.
A List of Admin Commands
GMOD ULX comes with a wide range of commands that facilitate player management and allow you to control disruptive servers. Since there are numerous commands, we’ll only list the most common ones that admins use on their servers and their functions
ulx armor– set the armor level for a player
ulx blind– blind a target
ulx cloak– cloak a target
ulx hp– set the health for a player
ulx god– grant god mode to a target
ulx slap– slap a player with certain damage
ulx addgroup– create a group with optional inheritance
ulx groupallow– permit access to the group
ulx removeuser– permanently forbid a user from accessing the group
ulx ban– ban a player for a given number of minutes
ulx asay– Send a message to connected administrators
ulx mute– mute targets to prevent them from chatting
Can I Make Myself Admin in Single Player?
Granting yourself the admin role in single-player is possible through ULX. The easiest way to do it is to use your Web Console:
1. Log into your Game Panel and select your server.
2. Open your Commandline Manager to obtain your RCON password.
3. Return to the control panel and launch your Web Console.
4. Enter the RCON password into the box in the lower part of the screen.
5. Execute this command: “
ulx adduserid steamID super admin”. Be sure to replace the “steamID” part with your Steam ID.
6. You should now see a message saying you’ve been granted the admin rank.
Can I Assign an Admin on My Local Network Game?
Unfortunately, you can’t assign an Admin in your local network games. An assignment can only be done on local multiplayer servers or dedicated servers.
Easy Access to Higher Privileges
Admins play a pivotal role in GMOD, controlling the environment of their servers by sanctioning unwanted behavior. Assigning this role is also relatively simple – all you need to do is bring up the console and enter a short line. Within seconds, you’ll enable yourself or another player admin privileges to ensure an enjoyable experience for all users.
Do you enjoy being the admin on your server? Have you considered delegating this responsibility to another player? If yes, which method do you prefer? Tell us in the comments section below.