How to Make a Collection in Gmod
You have practically limitless possibilities with Garry’s Mod. As long as you’re adding new assets and models, you can always create something new and unique. To help users catalog their list of add-ons and objects, Steam introduced the collection feature.
With collections, you can have all your Gmod add-ons in one group. If you’re looking to invite friends into your session, you can ask them to download and install your collection. That way, everyone gets to enjoy the same things.
If you’re new to Gmod or simply need a refresher on making collections in Gmod, you’ve come to the right place. Keep reading to learn more about collections for Gmod on Steam.
How to Make a Collection
A collection can contain entities, textures, and more within. As you load them into Gmod, all of it starts coming to life and interacting with one another. For example, you can spawn a unit with custom animations and audio.
A Call of Duty collection would contain weapon models you can shoot with, various unique animations, and texture packs for soldiers and operators. In contrast, a humorous collection featuring the Doge meme would have all types of funny models and other add-ons.
When you create a collection, you gather a list of add-ons that work well together or simply what you like. Thus, it’s all up to you as to what to fit into the collection.
To create a collection, follow these steps carefully:
- Open and log in to your Steam client and account.
- Go to the “Community” tab.
- Head to the Workshop.
- Pick “Garry’s Mod.”
- Select “Collections” from the list.
- On the right, click on “Create Collection.”
- Give the collection a name, image, and short description.
- Choose a collection type.
- In the categories, select “ServerContent.”
- Save your settings and proceed twice as the instructions tell you.
At this point, the collection is utterly empty of add-ons and objects. Now, you can finally compile all the add-ons you want in one place.
- Return to the Gmod workshop page.
- Browse for some add-ons.
- When you see something you like, go to the add-on’s page.
- Click on “Add to Collection” and select the collection you just made.
- Click “OK” to confirm.
- Keep repeating until you have enough.
- Return to the Gmod workshop page once again.
- Select “Workshop Files” on the right side of the page.
- Pick the “Collections” option.
- Click and publish your new collection.
Now, your collection is ready for use. Your collection will also have a unique ID, which you can obtain by copying its page URL. It would look like this:
The numbers at the end we replaced with the letter X will denote your unique collection. You can also look at other collections, and they’ll all have differing IDs.
When you’re creating your collection, you can choose to make it public or private. The former is best if you want to share it with friends, as they won’t be able to get the exact add-ons quickly otherwise.
Now that you have your collection and ID, you can start using it for your Gmod server. However, before doing so, there are some steps to take.
Adding the Collection to Your Gmod Server
When you have a collection ready, you can start adding its contents onto your server. First, you’ll have to open the Steam client, as everything is done there.
- Open Steam on your PC.
- Go to “Community” and select “Workshop.”
- Locate Gmod and select it.
- Click on “Browse” before choosing the “Collections” option.
- Find your collection and get its ID if you don’t know it already.
- Go to “Files.”
- In “Configuration,” open the OneControlCenter Control panel.
- Now, you can paste your collection’s ID into the “Workshop Collection ID (Host_workshop_collection)” field.
- Save your changes.
- Restart your Gmod server.
- After the server restarts, your collection should be available on your server permanently.
Depending on your server’s host, some of the last few steps may vary.
Each server can only have one collection loaded into it at a time. If you’ve recently found more add-ons you want to implement on your server, you’ll have to update your first collection.
Checking Your Friends’ Collections
While you might not be able to use your friend’s collection without loading it into Gmod, you can always take a look at it. Something in it may even catch your eye. When you access other collections, you can instantly add any add-ons to yours.
To do so, check out these instructions:
- Launch Steam.
- Go to “Community” and “Workshop.”
- Look for Garry’s Mod and click on “Browse.”
- Head to “Collections.”
- Click on “Friends’ Items.”
- If your friends are using Gmod add-ons, you can take a look at their collections.
- Add anything you like to your collection.
As long as a collection is public, anyone can save anything they like from it. That’s how the Steam community’s creations spread in the first place. Without collections, it would be difficult for add-on and mod creators to advertise their fantastic work.
If you find yourself bored of specific add-ons and mods, you can always delete them from your collection. Here’s what to do:
- Go to the page of the add-on you want to delete from your collection.
- Click on “Add to Collection.”
- Uncheck your collection.
- Click “OK.”
- Now, it should be gone from your collection.
While this method is unintuitive, it’s the only way to remove items from your collection. Until Steam implements a new way to clear your add-ons from a list instantly, you’ll have to do this manually. The worst part is that you must do this to every individual add-on you want to remove.
Does Gmod Have a Workshop?
Gmod doesn’t have a workshop, but it does have a workshop space on Steam. As Steam currently distributes the game, it makes sense that the workshop is integrated on the platform. Doing so allows players and users to get add-ons and mods quickly.
How Do I Download Mods for Gmod on Steam?
It’s possible to get mods outside of collections on Steam. When in Gmod, you can use these steps to download mods instantly.
1. Press Shift + Tab in Gmod.
2. When the Steam overlay appears, click on “Workshop” at the top-right corner.
3. Browse for any add-ons and mods for Gmod.
4. Download them.
Can You Make Ragdolls for Gmod?
Yes, you can. While the process is more challenging than installing add-ons and mods, you can learn to use the required apps. It takes time, but you can eventually create a ragdoll you can use in Gmod.
How Do I Find My Gmod Collections?
All of your collections are found under the “Browse” tab and “Collections” page. You can view their contents by clicking them and scrolling up and down their pages. The specific add-ons also have their own pages.
Every collection has an individual URL, as you learned above. Thus, be sure to send the right one to others. Doing so will prevent any confusion.
Use These Add-Ons Instead
There are thousands upon thousands of Steam collections out there, not only just for Gmod. If you find something cool you wish to try out, it’s as simple as loading it into your Gmod game. It doesn’t take long, and you can try some new things immediately.
How many collections do you have for Gmod? Do you like the way Steam organizes collections? Let us know in the comments section below.