How to Pay with Cash on Grubhub
GrubHub is one of the few online delivery services that allow you to pay with cash. That’s just one of the reasons why it’s such a versatile and attractive option. If you’re worried about feeding your credit card information into an online app, don’t worry because some Grubhub restaurants offer the cash option. It’s scarce, but it does still exist. Patience and time are required to use this trial-and-error method, but it could be worth it. Perhaps try it ahead of time so that you know who accepts cash through Grubhub for future use.
Note: Not all restaurants accept cash payments through Grubhub, and there may also be none available in your area. You have to try each one to see if cash is an option during checkout. However, once you know which ones accept cash, you can use them repeatedly.
This article explains the whole ordering process on GrubHub and how you can pay with both cash and other payment methods.
Setting Up a GrubHub Account
To order on GrubHub and pay with cash, you need an account. For registered users, head on to the next section of the article. For those who haven’t signed up for GrubHub, continue reading below.
- Launch the GrubHub website or the dedicated Grubhub Android or Grubhub iOS app to set up an account, then select the Sign In option.
- Choose to Create Your Account at the bottom of the screen.
- You can enter your credentials (name, email, and password) or sign in via Google or Facebook.
- Choose Create Your Account once more when you enter all the necessary information.
How to Pay on GrubHub with Cash
Cash is one of the many payment options available on GrubHub, which is a nice feature that some food delivery services don’t offer. Just remember that not all restaurants accept cash on Grubhub, and you may not have any that do in your area.
- Launch the GrubHub app on iOS or Android, or visit the website in a browser.
- Log into your account on the website or the app.
- For the Android or iOS app, enter the appropriate address information or use Google Location. In browsers, you can use your zip code or address. The zip code only shows local restaurants. Address lists more options, but that also includes distant locations.
- Select the correct address from the popup list.
- When the restaurant list appears, fine-tune it if desired, using the Sort or Filter option. You can even enter a term such as pizza or subs in the search bar. Pay attention to the locations, as some could be more than a half-hour away. Also, ensure they offer the option you need (delivery or pickup).
- After choosing a restaurant, its menu opens. Find some food you like and choose your available options.
- When you’re finished with the customizations, click Add to Bag: $$$ (at the bottom) to add it to your cart.
- The menu reappears. Select additional menu items and customize them as well. When you’re ready, tap or click on View order to review all items.
- To remove or change an item, hold down your finger over it when using the mobile app or click on it when using the website, then choose Edit or Delete from the options that pop up.
- When you finish your order, tap Proceed to checkout on the website or iPhone/Android mobile app.
- Confirm your prefilled name and type your Phone Number if the prompt appears, then click or tap on Continue to address.
- Confirm your address, then select Review and Place Your Order on the website or Review order on the iOS/Android app.
- On the order review screen, confirm all information displayed, including name, address, order, etc. Scroll up to see more.
- In the Payment section of the order review screen, click or tap on the dropdown icon to change the payment method.
- Choose Cash, if available. If no cash option appears in the Payment section’s dropdown list, choose a different payment method or cancel the order.
- For cash payments, confirm it is saved in the Your payment section, then select Place your delivery order: $$$ on the mobile app or Place Your Order on the website. Cash option availability gets determined by the restaurant.
If the option to pay with cash is available, you’ll see it on the screen. As previously mentioned, it’s not a guarantee that the restaurant you’re ordering from will accept a cash payment. Chances are, the restaurant doesn’t allow cash through Grubhub. However, you can enter a prepaid Visa card or similar card and use that as your payment option.
Why Most Restaurants Don’t Take Cash
Even though some places still take cash via GrubHub, most don’t. The reasoning behind this decision is quite simple. Paying with money complicates things. The GrubHub courier has to take the cash from you and give it to the restaurant.
Doing so adds more mileage to their drive, takes more time through travel, and doesn’t give the restaurant a guarantee that you or the delivery driver will pay. It makes sense that most restaurants won’t agree to that, even if it’s more convenient for the customer.
As mentioned, GrubHub is one of the rare delivery services that accept cash payments. Most of the competition refuses straight up (Instacart, Postmates, Uber Eats, DoorDash, and many others).
GrubHub also accepts many other payment options, including credit and debit cards, PayPal, Apple Pay, eGift, and Android Pay. These are great alternatives if the particular restaurant you’re ordering from doesn’t take cash.
You Can Always Tip with Cash
The good news is that you can always tip your GrubHub courier with cash. These people work primarily for tips, and they’ll appreciate whatever comes their way. Therefore, try to leave a generous tip if you’re satisfied with the service.
You can tip through the GrubHub app if you prefer, but that doesn’t make much sense if you’re paying for the order in cash. Anyhow, tipping is your personal choice, so we leave it up to you.
In closing, some people try to deny the simple fact that cash still reigns supreme. Sure, now we have Bitcoin and many other modern payment methods, but nothing could ever substitute paper bills. The only thing that’s better than cash is gold because its value is permanent.
Let’s not get carried away, though. Is there a reason why you want to stick to cash? Do you find it more convenient? Should all online delivery services accept money? Feel free to discuss those and other related topics in the comments section below.
Grubhub Cash FAQs
How do I find out which restaurants take cash on Grubhub?
Unfortunately, GrubHub doesn’t make it easy to see which payment methods the company accepts. The only official option is to load up your cart and see what payment methods get displayed. But you can also check the reviews. Although it’s probably quicker to check the bag, you may see something that indicates the payment option.
I don’t see an option to pay with cash on Grubhub; why not?
If the option doesn’t appear for cash, then the restaurant does not offer the option. Of course, you could always call the restaurant directly and see if they offer any delivery services where you could pay with cash. These days, the cash option is quite a risk for small businesses and Grubhub drivers.
Why can’t the delivery driver pay the restaurant and I pay the driver back?
Aside from the fact that this puts the delivery driver at risk of paying for someone’s order, it also forces them to carry cash that may not be safe either. Grubhub’s official policy states that no driver can pay for a customer’s order, and they certainly won’t be reimbursed for it if they do.