How to Add a Gmail Account to Outlook
As you may know, Outlook is compatible with all major email service providers. This makes keeping up to date on emails and calendar events super easy. Since most people have at least one Gmail account, it’s useful to know how to add a Gmail account to Outlook.
Follow along in this article to learn how to add your Gmail account to Outlook.
How to Add Gmail to Outlook on a Windows 10 PC
After a recent update, Outlook and Gmail have become even more compatible. Adding a Gmail account to Outlook has never been easier, and we’ll now explain how to do so on a Windows 10 system.
Note: It works the same no matter if you’re adding your first Gmail account or an additional one.
- Open Outlook and click on File, which located in the top-right corner. Click Add Account on the new page.
- Type in your Gmail address and click on the Connect button.
- Enter your password and click on Sign in. If you’re using 2-factor authentication, you’ll now receive a text message with a verification code. Enter the code received and click on Done.
- You’ll now be asked to allow certain permissions. Once accepted, click Done to finish adding your account.
When the permission window appears, you’ll be asked the usual things: allow Outlook to read, compose, and send emails, and also access to some of your personal details. To get the most out of Outlook, we suggest that you allow all the options.
Moreover, you can expect to receive an email with a warning that a new login has been detected. Don’t worry about that, as it’s a security feature of your Gmail account. You may need to open the notification on your smartphone and select “Yes, that was me.” or something similar, depending on the system used.
If you want to add multiple Gmail accounts, that’s easy too.
- Before you click on the final Done, you’ll notice empty boxes below it. All you have to do is enter your Gmail address and password, and then repeat the process for each Gmail account that you want to add.
How to Add Gmail to Outlook on an Android Device
The best way to add a Gmail account to Outlook on Android is to use the Outlook Android app. Download the application if you haven’t already. It’s free and easy to use.
Note: To follow our guide, you should already have a Gmail account. Outlook for Android doesn’t allow you to create a new Gmail account, as you can only log in with an existing one.
- Open the Outlook app and tap on Get Started.
- Tap on Google Connect Account and confirm by tapping OK.
- If you want Outlook to access your Contacts, tap on Allow, then tap on Add Account.
- If Outlook recognizes your Gmail account, you’d only have to enter your password. Otherwise, enter your Gmail address and password and tap on Sign in.
- You’ll then be asked whether you want to allow Outlook to have offline access to your email. To confirm, tap on Allow. Otherwise, tap on Deny.
For the best performance, we suggest that you allow offline access, in addition to the additional prompts that may appear. The app will work faster and smoother as a result.
On the other hand, if you’ve been using Outlook with another email address, that’s fine too. You can always add your Gmail account, and we’ll now show you how:
- Open the Outlook app.
- Tap on File.
- Tap on Account Settings.
- Tap on Add Account.
- Enter your Gmail address.
- Tap on Connect.
- Enter your password and tap on Sign in.
- Verify your account and enable Outlook to make changes to your device, if asked.
How to Add Gmail to Outlook on an iPhone
Similar to Android, there’s also an Outlook app for iOS devices. You can download it for free in the App Store. There are two ways to add Gmail to Outlook in Android: Automatic setup through your logged-in Google account or manual insertion of your Gmail account.
Note: To proceed, you should already have a Gmail account, which you can’t create within the Outlook app.
Option #1: Automatic Setup
If this process fails, try the manual process in “Option #2.”
- Open the Outlook app and tap on Add Email Account.
- Enter your Gmail address. Tap on Sign in with Google. Enter your password. Tap on Sign in to confirm. You may be asked to verify your account for security reasons. You can do so using your phone number.
- Finally, you need to give certain permissions to the app by clicking Allow or Confirm.
There you have it! You now have Gmail access in Outlook. If you’re unable to add Gmail using your logged-in Google account as described above, there’s another possible way to get it. Try setting up your account manually.
Option #2: Manually Add Gmail to Outlook on Android
If the process in “Option #1” above could not add your Gmail account using the logged-in credentials, you’ll need to manually add it. Here’s how to do it.
- Open the Outlook app.
- Tap on Add account and enter your Gmail address.
- Tap on Let me set up my account manually.
- You’ll then see a new screen where you can choose your email provider, tap on the Google icon.
- Enter your Gmail address one more time and click Connect.
- Enter your password and choose whether to stay signed in or not and then click Sign in.
- Verify your account and enable Outlook to make changes to your iPhone, if asked.
Can I still use 2-factor authentication with Gmail & Outlook?
Yes, you can still use the enhanced authentication with both Gmail and Outlook. In fact, two-factor authentication is recommended for all email accounts. If you’re using the mobile app, you shouldn’t have any problems. However, some desktop versions of Outlook, especially the older versions, won’t allow you to log in that way.
Don’t worry as there’s an easy solution. You just have to obtain an App Password, which is located in Settings under Additional Security Options. You can then use the generated password instead of security codes if the app doesn’t accept them. Whatever you do, you should continue with 2-factor authentication, even if it’s more complicated.
Is Outlook free on Windows, Android, and iPhone?
There’s a free version of Outlook for each of the above platforms. However, since the free version is limited to personal use, it might not have all the options you need. If you plan to use Outlook for business, you may have to purchase an Office 365 subscription for the premium benefits.
As an Office 365 subscriber, you get a host of features such as an ad-free interface, advanced email security, 50GB of email storage, and premium customer support. You also get access to other apps and tools that are available only to subscribers. Subscription prices may vary depending on your region and the size of your company.
My Gmail login isn’t working, what can I do?
If you have trouble logging in, it’s likely due to one of the two most common causes: IMAP (Internet Message Access Protocol) or the Less Secure Apps option is turned off in your Gmail account. There’s nothing to worry about, as it means that your Gmail account is trying to protect you against potential malware.
You can find both of the above features in Gmail Settings. If one or both are turned off, make sure to enable them before you try to log in with Gmail again. There shouldn’t be any problems this time.
On the other hand, if this problem occurs on your phone, maybe you haven’t updated the Outlook app for a while. Check and see whether there are any updates available. Updating to the latest version should not only solve this issue but also make the app faster and more efficient.
Final Thoughts on Adding Gmail Accounts to Outlook
Hopefully, your Gmail account integration into Outlook ends with no problems. The steps in this article are similar to adding other email addresses by any of the major providers. The beauty of today’s digital world is that all tools are connected for convenience and streamlined performance, assuming everything is set up correctly. Furthermore, every Outlook update usually brings new and exciting options, which makes it beneficial across the board.