How to Select Multiple Emails in Gmail
Gmail is one of the most widely used email clients in the world, with more than one billion users. In order to make email management more straightforward, they’ve recently introduced keyboard shortcuts that help you delete, label, or move your emails in just a few simple clicks.
If you’re wondering how to use the shortcuts in the best possible way, keep reading. In this article, we’ll show you numerous ways to select multiple emails and organize your Gmail quickly and efficiently.
How to Select Multiple Emails in Gmail on a PC Web Browser
Selecting multiple emails is a simple action in Gmail, and you can do so in a few different ways. Since every email has a small square to the left of it, you can use your cursor to mark the emails you want and then decide how you would like to manage them. Here’s how to do this:
- Open your Gmail Inbox.
- Click on the checkbox in front of the first message in your Inbox.
- Hold down the Shift key.
- Now, click on the last message, and all the other ones will be selected.
- Release Shift and decide what you want to do with the emails.
Another way to do this is to type a name or email address into the search bar and then select the emails that you want to remove. This way, you’ll avoid endless scrolling through your Inbox and find precisely what you need. If all the emails you want to view came from the same email address, you can select all and then add a label, move, or delete them from your Inbox. Here’s how it works:
- Type a name or email address into the search box.
- When you see all the emails listed, you can decide how to manage them.
- Once you finish, click on “Inbox” and repeat the process.
If you want to declutter your Inbox, you’ll have to select many emails based on a specific criterion. This approach might do the trick nicely:
- Open your Gmail account.
- Open a label or any other folder with emails.
- Click on the down arrow next to the main checkbox and choose which category you want to select. You can choose “Select All” or a specific type like “Unread” or “Starred.”
- Decide what you want to do with the selected emails.
How to Select Multiple Emails in Gmail on a Mac
Gmail is one of the most commonly used email services. However, it doesn’t come with a desktop email client, and that’s why you can only use it through your browser. Using a Mail app for macOS, you can connect your Gmail account and then have access to it from your desktop. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open the Mail app and click on “Add Account.”
- Go to “Choose a Mail Account Provider” and select “Google” from the menu.
- Click on “Continue” and “Open Safari.”
- Go to your Gmail account and login with your credentials.
- When asked about permissions, click “Allow.”
- If you want, you can decide to synchronize your notes, contacts, and a calendar.
- In the end, you’ll see Gmail in the sidebar of your Mail app.
Now that you know how to use Gmail on your desktop, you can select multiple emails in the same way you would do on any other device. You can select messages based on message criteria, search filters, or use manual ways to manage emails. Depending on the number of emails you need to organize, you can choose one of these approaches.
How to Select Multiple Emails in Gmail on Windows 10
Should you decide to use Gmail via the Windows Mail desktop app, you should first ensure that they’re synchronized. Once you finish the process, you can then start taking care of your emails and organize them in the best way to suit your needs. Here’s how you can connect your Google Account to Windows Mail:
- Open Windows Mail app.
- Click on “Add Account” and select “Google” from the list of accounts.
- Type in your Gmail address, password, and click “Next.”
- Click “Allow” to enable Windows to access your Google account.
- Write the name you wish to use in your emails.
- Click “Done.”
Selecting emails is very straightforward when it comes to Windows Mail. You simply have to hold the “Ctrl” key and click on the messages you want to select.
How to Select Multiple Emails in Gmail on an iPhone or iPad
The Gmail app offers the same amount of functionality on your phone, tablet, or computer. Unfortunately, when selecting multiple emails, there’s only one way to select all your emails. You’ll have to tap each and every one of them and then decide on your further actions.
However, if you’re accessing your Gmail through the Mail app for iPhone and iPad, there’s a faster way to select your mails. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open Mail app.
- Select one folder.
- Click on the “Edit” button located in the upper right corner.
- Start selecting emails by tapping on the circle on the left.
- Once you have selected all your emails, decide whether you want to archive, delete or mark as read/unread.
How to Select Multiple Emails in Gmail on Android
Here is how you select emails in bulk on your Android phone.
- Open the folder with emails you want to delete.
- Double tap on email icons to select emails.
- Once you have all your emails selected, decide whether you want to archive, delete, or mark as read/unread.
Selecting e-mails from your Gmail account is far from complicated. With a few simple tricks like using “Shift” or a master checkbox, you can efficiently remove old messages. Even if it’s necessary to delete the whole inbox, it won’t take up a lot of your time.
Now that you know all about deleting emails on various platforms and devices, you can start cleaning out your inbox. What’s more, you can even export all your data and use it on a new platform. How often do your purge your Inbox? Did you have any problems while doing it before?
Tell us more about it in the comments section.