How to Add Mobi Files to a Kindle
The most common e-book format on a Kindle is the Kindle Fire Format. However, you can also open Mobi files on your Kindle, you just have to send them to your device first. In this article, we’ll show you how to add Mobi files to different Kindle devices. We’ll also go through the process of adding Mobi files to the Kindle mobile app. A lot of e-books have the EPUB format, which can’t be opened on a Kindle. Therefore, to open and read e-books with EPUB formats, many users convert them to Mobi formats.
Since you can’t download a Mobi file directly from the Amazon library, the only way to add Mobi files to your Kindle Fire is by transferring them from another device. There are three main ways you can send a Mobi file to a Kindle Fire tablet – via email, with a USB cable, or through Amazon’s Send-to-Kindle app.
How to Add Mobi Files to a Kindle Fire Tablet with Send-to-Kindle
Amazon created an app specifically designed for transferring files to your Kindle, called the “Send-to-Kindle” app. This app allows you to send files from your browser, Windows, Mac, email, and Android device. Since you already know how to send a Mobi file to your Kindle via email, we’ll show you how to do it with the browser extension.
You can use it to send articles, blog posts, or any other type of text to your Kindle. You just need to have a Google Chrome 22 version or higher. This is what you need to do:
- Go to the Google Chrome web store.
- Search for “Send to Kindle from Google Chrome.”
- Click on the “Add to Chrome” button.
- Select “Add extension” on the pop-up window.
- Find the Mobi file that you’d like to transfer to your Kindle.
- Click on the “Send to Kindle” icon in the upper-right corner of your browser.
This will immediately add the Mobi file to your Kindle. Not only can you use this browser extension for your Kindle, but your iPhone/Android Kindle app as well.
How To Add Mobi Files to a Kindle Fire Tablet by Email
If you’re not sure what your Kindle email is, you can find it by following these steps:
- Open Amazon on your browser.
- Sign in to your account.
- Select the “Accounts & Lists” tab in the upper-right corner of your screen.
- Scroll down to “Digital content and devices” at the bottom of the page.
- Click on “Manage content and devices.”
- Proceed to the “Preferences” tab on the next page.
- Go down to “Personal Document Settings.”
- Under “Send-to-Kindle E-mail Settings,” you’ll see your Kindle’s email address.
Note: Now that you know your Kindle’s email address, the next step is to allow your Kindle to accept files from your email address.
- On the same page, scroll down to “Approved Personal Document E-Mail List.”
- Select the “Add a new approved e-mail address” option.
- Type in your email address.
- Click on the “Add address” button.
The final step is to send the Mobi file to your Kindle Fire. Before you do any of this, make sure that the Mobi file is already downloaded on your computer. This is how it’s done:
- Open your email.
- Compose a new email.
- Type in the Kindle’s email address as the recipient.
- Attach the Mobi file to your email.
- Send the email.
Amazon Kindle Support will send you a verification email that you’ll need to confirm in order to transfer the Mobi file to your Kindle. When you send the Mobi file in the email’s attachment, there is no need to add a subject or text.
It might take a couple of minutes for the Mobi file to be transferred to your Kindle Fire. When you turn on your Kindle, the Mobi file will either be in the “Books” or “Documents” folder.
How to Add Mobi Files to a Kindle Paperwhite
You can also open Mobi files on the Kindle Paperwhite. To transfer Mobi files from a computer or a laptop to a Kindle Paperwhite, you can use a USB cable. This is what you need to do:
- Connect your computer and your Kindle Paperwhite via USB cable.
- Open the Kindle folder. If you’re using Windows 10, the folder will be in “This PC,” and for Mac users, go to “Finder.”
- Proceed to the “Internal Storage” folder.
- Click on the “Documents” folder.
- Locate the Mobi file on your computer and click on it.
- Drag it to the “Documents” folder. You can also use the copy-paste method (for Windows “Ctrl + C” and “Ctrl + V,” and for Mac, use “Command + C” and “Command + V”).
- Unplug the USB cable from both devices.
When you turn on and unlock your Kindle Paperwhite, you’ll find the Mobi file in the “Documents” folder.
How to Add Mobi Files to the Kindle App on an Android
The fastest way to add a Mobi file to the Kindle app on your Android device is with the USB cable. Make sure that you already have the Mobi file downloaded on your computer. Here’s what you need to do next:
- Launch the Kindle app
- Connect your computer and your Android device with a USB cable.
- Open the folder for your Android, and proceed to “Internal Storage.”
- Find the “Kindle” folder.
- Locate the Mobi file on your computer and copy it.
- Paste it to the “Kindle” folder.
- Disconnect the two devices.
- Launch the Kindle app on your phone.
- Tap on the three horizontal lines in the upper-left corner of your screen.
- Go to the “On Device” tab. Your Mobi file should be there.
Another way to do this is by downloading the Mobi file directly on your Android device. After you download the Mobi file, it will be stored in the “File Manager” folder on your device. Simply copy the Mobi file and paste it to the “Kindle” folder in “File Manager.”
How to Add Mobi Files to the Kindle App on an iPhone
You can also download the Kindle app on your iPhone. Once you download the app from the App Store, register for it using your Amazon Kindle account. While you can use a USB cable to transfer a Mobi file to your iPhone, you can also do so via email. To add Mobi files to the Kindle app on your iPhone, follow the steps below:
- Download the Mobi file on your computer.
- Open your email and attach the Mobi file.
- Send the email to yourself.
- Open the email on your iPhone.
- Download the attachment.
- Tap on the Mobi file.
- When the pop-up menu appears, choose “Copy to Kindle.”
- Open the Kindle app. The Mobi file should be there.
If you decide to use the USB method to transfer your Mobi file instead, here’s what you need to do:
- Connect your computer to your iPhone via USB cable.
- Open iTunes.
- Select your iPhone on the left sidebar.
- Go to “Apps” on the top menu.
- Under the “File Sharing” section, find your Kindle device.
- Select “Add.”
- Locate the Mobi file that you would like to transfer and click on “Choose.”
- Sync your iPhone.
When you disconnect the two devices, wait a couple of minutes before launching the Kindle app. Then, you’ll find your Mobi file waiting for you.
How to Add Mobi Files to Kindle on a Windows or Mac PC?
The Send-to-Kindle app can also be used to send Mobi files from your Windows or Mac. To add Mobi files from your Windows to your Kindle, follow the steps below:
- Download the “Send-to-Kindle” app on your Windows.
- Follow the in-app instructions to complete the installation process.
- Download the Mobi file to your Windows.
- Right-click on the Mobi file and choose “Send to Kindle” on the drop-down menu.
That’s all there is to it. This method works with Windows 7, Windows 8, and Windows 10.
To do the same on your Mac, follow the steps below:
- Download the “Send-to-Kindle” app on your Mac.
- Install the app on your device.
- Download the Mobi file that you want to add to your Kindle.
- Click on the Mobi file and drag it to the “Send-to-Kindle” icon on your Dock.
Another way to do it is by right-clicking on the Mobi file and selecting the “Send to Kindle” option on the drop-down menu.
Make Your Kindle a Mobi-Friendly Device
There are loads of ways to transfer Mobi files to your Kindle Fire. Whether you use email, your USB cable, or Amazon’s Send-to-Kindle app, you’ll be reading your e-books in no time.
Have you added a Mobi file to your Kindle before? What method did you use to transfer the Mobi file? Tell us in the comments section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
Comments are closed.