How to Change a Skype User Name
A good deal of people sign-up for Skype never expecting that they will ever use it for work-related calls. Those who signed up on a whim using silly usernames may come to regret that decision later. Fortunately, there are simple ways to change your user name or display name on Skype. And we’ll show you how to change a Skype username for the different platforms that the app is available in.
Display Name vs. Username
Before anything else, you should note know there’s a difference between your Skype display name and username. Your display name is the title that other people see when they talk to you on Skype. This is easily altered via the Skype application and through its website.
Your username or Skype ID, on the other hand, is a different matter entirely. If you signed up for the service before the company was acquired by Microsoft then you may have been given the chance to create your own username.
After the acquisition, if you sign in to Skype using an email address, then Microsoft assigns you a random username. This isn’t technically a Skype username but a Microsoft account. Whether you have an old or new username or Skype ID, it can’t be changed. Microsoft itself doesn’t allow you to edit your ID.
Other users won’t be able to see your Skype ID, and it isn’t even displayed in the app unless you specifically look for it. To find your Skype ID so you can share it with others, you can do the following:
On the Website
- Go to the Skype Website and click on Sign in on the upper right corner of the screen.
- From the dropdown menu, click on My Account.
- On the tab that contains both your profile picture and username, click on either your profile pic or Edit profile in the menu below.
- Your username will be to the right of the Skype ID label.
On the desktop app
- Open your Skype app and log in.
- Click on your profile icon on the upper left corner of the Skype window.
- Under the Manage tab of the dropdown menu, choose and click on Skype Profile.
- Your Skype ID will be beside the titular Skype Name.
- Open the Skype Mobile app and log in.
- On the Skype home screen, tap on your profile icon on the top menu.
- Under Manage, tap on Skype Profile.
- Your Skype ID should be beside the label Skype Name.
How to Change your Skype User Name from a Windows Device
If you wish to change the name displayed to others on your contacts list, you can do so by editing your Skype Display Name. This can be done on the Windows platform by doing one of the following:
By using the Skype Website
- Using your web browser of choice, proceed to the Skype Website and log in.
- Click on Sign in on the upper right corner of the screen.
- From the dropdown menu, click on My account.
- On the tab that contains your profile picture and display name, click on either your profile pic or on Edit profile on the menu below.
- While on the Profile page, click on the Edit Profile button.
- Type in your desired display name on the Name text box.
- Once you’re finished, scroll down the page and click on the Save button.
- You will be notified that your Display name has been modified. You can now navigate away from this window.
On the desktop app
- Open the Skype desktop app and log in.
- While on the home screen, click on your profile icon on the upper left corner of the Skype window.
- From the dropdown menu, click on Skype profile.
- Click on either your Display name or on the Edit text icon to the right of your Display name.
- Change your name as per your preference.
- Either press the enter key or click on a blank part of the popup window. Your changes will be automatically saved.
How to Change Your Skype User Name from a Mac
Both the Skype desktop app and website aren’t platform-dependent, and thus the process to change your display name on Mac is the same as that on Windows. If you’re using Skype on a Mac, you can refer to the instructions as given on Windows above.
How to Change your Skype User Name from an Android Device
If you’re using Skype on a mobile device then you can change your display name either through the app, or by editing it through the website. The process for doing so are as follows:
Using the mobile app
- Open the Skype mobile app and then log in.
- Tap on your profile icon on the upper part of the screen.
- Under Manage, tap on Skype profile.
- Tap on your display name or the edit name button to the right of your display name.
- Type in the display name that you want to use.
- Either tap on the checkmark on the right of the name text box or tap on the return key on your virtual keyboard.
- Scroll down and click “Save Changes” to complete the process.
Using a web browser
- Open your mobile phone’s web browser of choice.
- Proceed to the Skype Website.
- Follow the instructions as given in the relevant part for the Windows platform above.
How to Change Your Skype User Name from an iPhone
The Skype mobile app, similar to the desktop app, isn’t platform dependent. As such, if you wish to change your display name on an iPhone, you can use the same method as that on the Android. Refer to the instructions for the Android platform above.
How to Change Your Skype User Name from a Chromebook
Unlike most computers, the Chromebook doesn’t allow you to install applications unless they’ve been approved by Google, or if they’re in the Google Play Store. Because of this, you can access Skype on a Chromebook either through the Chrome extension or through the Android app.
If you want to change your Skype display name on your Chromebook, refer to the website instructions as given for the Windows platform above, assuming that you’re using the Chrome extension. If you’re using the Android app, refer to the mobile app instructions as given for Android devices above.
How to Change Your Skype Profile Picture
Another important part of your profile that other users will see is your profile pic. Your profile icon will appear to people on your contacts list, and it’s usually the easiest way for your contacts to identify you. If you want to modify your profile picture, you can do one of the following:
Changing your profile picture through the desktop application
- Open the Skype desktop app and log in.
- Click on your profile picture on the upper left corner of the Skype window.
- Click on your profile picture again to open the upload image window.
- Choose the picture that you want to use then click on Open.
By using the mobile app
- Open the Skype mobile app and log in.
- Tap on your profile icon on the top portion of the screen.
- Tap on your profile icon again.
- Your Camera app should now open and you can choose to take a photo if you wish.
- If you want to use a saved image from your gallery, tap on the image icon on the lower-left corner of the screen.
- Tap on the upper menu to switch from Gallery to Albums. You can tap on the arrow button on the upper left corner to return to the Gallery.
- Choose the image that you want to use.
- The Skype mobile app offers several editing templates on the upper right corner of the image selection screen.
- Once you’re done editing, tap on the checkmark on the lower right corner of the screen.
- Your profile image should now be changed.
The following are the most frequently asked questions whenever discussions regarding changing Skype usernames come up.
Is my Skype username different than my Skype display name?
Yes. As mentioned above, your Skype username or Skype ID can’t be changed. It’s the name used by Microsoft to identify your account and, as such, the company doesn’t allow you to edit it. Early adopters of Skype had the option to specify their own names. Now, if you sign up for the service using an email address or a telephone number, you and all other users are assigned random names. Other users can connect to you using the username or Skype ID.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eDisplay names or Skype Names are what other users see when they call you and is what appears on your friend’s contacts list. Your display name, in contrast to your username, can be edited.
Are there any limitations to what I can change my user name to?
As Microsoft now directly assigns names for users and doesn’t allow editing, Skype usernames or IDs are quite restricted. Display names, on the other hand, don’t have this limitation. You can use a single character as your display name, or input as many as 50 characters if you wish. Names are truncated to 26 characters though, so it’s better to keep your name below that number.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eYou can use spaces and symbols as well, and there is no alphanumeric requirement in regard to your Display name. You can even use only numbers if that is what you want. It is good practice though to try and keep your naming convention formal if you need to connect in a professional setting.
How often can I change my Skype user name?
Usernames or Skype IDs can’t be changed once they’ve been assigned to you. The only technical way to change a username would be to create a new Skype account, but this will entail losing all your contact info and account credits.u003cbru003eu003cbru003eDisplay names can be changed as often as you want. There are no time limitations as to when you can change your Display Name.
Having a silly username during what’s supposed to be a professional Skype call can be rather embarrassing. It’s rather handy that Skype itself has a way of addressing the issue rather easily, as long as you know what to do.
So, have you ever had trouble regarding how to change a Skype username? Share your experiences in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.
Comments are closed.