How to Change the Language on Amazon Prime Video
Amazon Prime Video supports 26 languages. Of those, there are two exceptions that youcan only find on the PC and laptop interfaces – Arabic and Hebrew.
When you register for an account, the streaming platform usually takes your geo locationinto consideration. For example, if you register for an account in Germany, you’ll have a German interface. This usually carries on even if you go onvacation and log in from another country.
But, like all great streaming platforms, you can change the display language with ease on most devices. You can also change subtitles and even soundtrack language, if available.
How to Change Language in Amazon Prime Video on a PS4
Usually, your Amazon Prime Video account displays everything in your native language.When you use a PS4 to watch videos with Prime Video the main language should be the one for the country you’re in.
That doesn’t mean that you can’t edit this setting if you want to watch a dubbed version of your favorite show. Or see subtitles in a different language.
- Launch Prime Video on your PS4.
- Access the detail page of the video you want to watch.
- Select the Subtitles or Language option.
- Change the captions or audio to your preferred alternative.
- Close the menu and play your video.
How to Change Language in Amazon Prime Video on an Xbox
The default language setting for Prime Video is the same one as your Xbox language.If you change your Xbox console region, the changes should carry to the Prime Video app.
Changing the language for the subtitles and audio is very easy.
- Launch the Prime Video app and play a video.
- Bring up the Playback menu.
- Select the Speech Bubble button.
- Select the Subtitle of Audio options.
- Select a new language from the available list.
- Exit the menu and resume the playback.
How to Change Language in Amazon Prime Video on a Firestick
When you launch Prime Video on a Firestick device, the display language is usually setto the country you registered your account in. However, you can sometimes bypass this by changing the device’s language settings:
- Select the Settings option.
- Go to Preferences.
- Select Language.
- Change the main display language.
To change the subtitles and audio track, where available, first launch your Prime Videoapp.
- Select and start the playback on the video you want to watch.
- Bring up the playback menu by highlighting the screen.
- Select the CC/Speech Bubble button.
- Make desired changes under the Language and Audio menus.
How to Change Language in Amazon Prime Video on the iPhone
The Prime Video interface and buttons look slightly different when you use a mobiledevice, as opposed to a desktop. However, changing the language is just as quick.
- Launch the Prime Video App.
- Go to the My Stuff menu.
- Tap on the Gear icon.
- Tap on language and select a new language.
The same steps apply to making changes to your Prime Video app on Android devices.
How to Change Language in Amazon Prime Video on an Apple TV
While using Prime Video on an Apple TV, the app should have the same languagesettings as your billing region. However, you can easily change the soundtrack and subtitle languages as soon as you start the playback on a video.
- Play any video.
- Swipe down and then right to access the Subtitles and Audio menus.
- Swipe down to select what audio language and subtitles you want.
Note that you should first make sure that the SDH option is on.
- Go to the Settings menu on your Apple TV.
- Select the General tab.
- Go to Accessibility.
- Select Subtitles and Captioning.
- Turn on Closed Captions and SDH.
This will allow you to make your desired language changes when you’re using the PrimeVideo app to watch your favorite movies and TV shows.
How to Change Language in Amazon Prime Video on a Roku Device
In the past, you could make changes to subtitles and audio, before starting your video. Changing the language on a Roku device now requires you to start the playback and then pause the video while you make changes.
- Launch the Prime Video app on your device.
- Find a video and start the playback.
- Hit the Pause button to bring up the playback menu.
- Select the Subtitles & More button.
- Make desired changes for subtitles and the audio track, where available.
- Close the playback menu and resume the video.
Note that these changes should carry on if you’re to play another video, even if youclose the app and come back later.
How to Change Language in Amazon Prime Video on a PC
When you visit the Prime Video website, you have a Language button right next to theSign In button in the top right corner. Click on that and select one of the 26 available languages.
Here’s how you can change the language for both text and audio on your Prime Video accounton a PC.
- Log into your Amazon Prime Video account.
- Click on Profile, from the dropdown menu in the upper right corner.
- Click on the Account and Settings option.
- Click the Language option.
- Select your preferred language.
This changes the language only on your Amazon Prime Video account. To change the audio language, first you have to play a video.
- Start playing a video.
- Click on the Subtitle/Audio icon in the upper right corner.
- Choose one of the available languages.
Note that not all videos offer alternatives and in some situations there may be geographicalrestrictions on the dubbed audio options.
Many users report difficulties with changing the main language setting for their PrimeVideo accounts when they go to another country. While it’s easy enough to change the subtitle and soundtrack language on most devices, it’s not alwayseasy to change the display language.
Display Language Problems
Some bugs include an automatic language change based on the user’s new geographical location.In other cases, you may be stuck with the main language of your device regardless of where you’re accessing the app from.
It’s not always possible to change the main display language on a mobile device, smartTV, or the app itself. Sometimes you have to log into your Amazon Prime account on a browser and change the language for your Prime Video experience fromthere.
An alternative is deregistering your device from your Amazon Prime account. Again,you need to access the main Amazon website on a browser to make this happen. Once you deregister a device you can clear its cache and relaunch the PrimeVideo app.
During the setup, it will ask you for your language preference and you can pick one thatworks for you.
Lack of Alternative Tracks and Subtitles
It’s known that Prime Video works best on a browser. The app doesn’t have all the options.
For example, not all shows have alternative tracks and audio descriptions acrossall devices. Furthermore, you may sometimes have to access your device’s language settings to make changes in the Prime Video app (e.g. Roku, Apple TV).
As you probably already know, Amazon Prime Video is not the most adaptable app inregional and language settings.
The display language, in particular, has many problems that may require you to senda ticket to Amazon in hopes of finding a resolution. But if you check the official forums, you’ll see that many questions go unanswered even there.
Changing the subtitle and audio language is a straightforward process on most devices.In some cases, if you don’t have many options to choose from, it means that there are no available alternatives.
With that in mind, let us know your most common issues with changing the language in thePrime Video app. Do you often get stuck in a foreign display language due to travel and the inability to update billing or regional settings? Do you nothave enough audio description or subtitle options?
Let us know in the comments below. Feel free to offer any alternative solutions thatyou’ve found for certain devices.