How to Change the New Tab Page in Google Chrome
Most of the time, Google’s default Chrome New Tab Page setting fits the bill for users. But what happens if you decide to customize this page according to your personal preference? If this sounds like a change you want to make, you’ve come to the right place.
In this article, we’re going to provide you with detailed instructions on how to change your New Tab Page in Chrome. You’ll also learn about other customization options – such as changing your New Tab Page background and thumbnails, and much more.
How to Change the New Tab Page in Google Chrome?
Before we get into details, let’s make things clear. By default, Google’s Chrome New Tab Page includes a Google logo, search bar, and a set of thumbnails of your most visited websites. You get here by opening a New Tab. This is NOT your Homepage (the one you’re redirected to when you click on the home icon) or your startup page (the one that loads at startup).
Changing your Homepage in Chrome can quickly be done through the “Settings” page. However, changing the New Tab Page involves adding a new player to the game – a Chrome extension. You can browse for extensions in Chrome’s Web Store.
When it comes to customizing your default New Tab Page without extensions, there’s little you can do about it. What you can do is remove certain thumbnails you don’t find useful:
- Open a new Chrome tab.
- Hover over the page thumbnail you wish to remove.
- Click on the “X” sign that shows on the tile’s top right-hand corner.
- You’ll receive a message saying that your thumbnail was removed. You can always undo the action if you have second thoughts. You can also restore all tiles you previously removed by clicking on the “Restore all” option next to “Undo.”
You can also change the background image for your New Tab Page, which we will explain below in the section called “How to Change the New Tab Page Background in Chrome.”
The Best New Tab Extensions in Chrome
If you want to customize your New Tab Page in Chrome, your best option is to dive into the Web Store’s extension offer. We’ve sorted them out according to ratings and the number of users to present you with the four best extensions out there.
One of the most widely used Chrome New Tab extensions lets you personalize your dashboard by adding a to-do list, daily focus, and other useful productivity features. This extension has a 4.5 rating and is used by over three million users worldwide.
It includes a free and a paid version, the main difference being additional font and color customization, and integration options in the paid one.
Leoh New Tab is the highest-rated extension you’ll find in the Store at the moment. It has an average rating of 4.7 stars and is used by more than 50,000 users.
What is great about Leoh is that it offers a minimalistic design as well as some great customization features. You can add your Google Calendar, a to-do list, or turn on Zen Mode to play relaxing videos in the background.
This is one of the most widely used New Tab extensions in the Web Store with more than 700,000 active users. It has an average rating of 4.5 stars, and just like previous extensions from the list, it focuses on the minimalistic design. This is by far the most elegant Chrome extension we ran across. It also features some Google integrations such as Intelligent Mail Notification for Gmail.
Built by Gladly.io, this tab extension’s primary goal is raising charity awareness. It’s used by more than 200,000 users worldwide and has an average rating of 4.4 stars. Every time you open a new tab with this extension, you help plant a tree, build a library, provide clean water, deliver emergency aid, and more. You can choose what charity to support. It works by collecting ad revenue from the pages you open and donate to the cause you selected. This organization has donated more than one million USD so far.
You should be aware that the new tabs you open with this extension will contain ads, and your data might be collected to show more relevant ads.
How to Replace the New Tab Page With an Extension in Chrome?
To replace your New Tab Page with an extension, you have to add one to your browser first. Here’s how the whole process works:
- Once you’ve made your choice, simply click on the “Add to Chrome” button showing next to the extension title.
- When the download is finished, you’ll see the extension icon on your toolbar in the upper right-hand corner of the screen.
- Usually, there will be a short setup process. Just follow the instructions, and your extension will be ready to use in no time.
How to Change Thumbnails on a New Tab Page in Chrome?
The thumbnails you see on your New Tab Page in Chrome are actually shortcuts to your most visited websites. If you don’t like the way they’re ordered, you can drag and drop a specific thumbnail to a preferred position. You can also remove a thumbnail you don’t like by following the steps below:
- Hover over the thumbnail you wish to remove.
- Click on the three dots in its upper right-hand corner. It will say, “More actions.”
- Select “Remove” to delete the thumbnail from the list.
- You can click on “Undo” to restore that thumbnail or click on “Restore Default Thumbnails” to change everything back to default.
You can also rename thumbnails or change their URL links:
- Hover over the thumbnail you wish to edit.
- Click on the three dots in the upper right-hand corner.
- Select the “Edit shortcut” option.
- A new window will open asking you to enter the thumbnail’s “Name” and “URL.”
- Make edits according to your preferences.
How to Change the New Tab Page Background in Chrome?
There are two ways to change the new tab page background in Chrome. One of them involves using Chrome’s stock photos, and another one lets you upload a picture from your computer. Both are straightforward and include similar steps.
Use Chrome’s Stock Photo
- Launch Chrome on your desktop.
- Open a new tab by pressing the “Ctrl” + “t” keys on your keyboard or clicking on File > New Tab. Alternatively, click on the plus icon at the top of your Chrome window.
- Head over to the bottom right-hand corner and click on the “Customize” button.
- Open the “Background” tab to see a list of available backgrounds.
- Browse among different categories (Art, Cityscapes, Solid colors…).
- Select the picture you like and hit “Done.”
Use Your Computer’s Photo
- Open a new Chrome tab.
- Click on the “Customize” button in the lower right-hand corner of the page.
- Choose the “Upload from device” option.
- Find the background image you wish to use from your device.
- Click on “Open.”
When you open a new tab in Chrome, you’ll see a new background picture.
How to Set New Tab as Your Homepage in Chrome?
By default, your Homepage and New Tab pages will be different unless you customize them otherwise.
Here’s how to set a New Tab Page as your Homepage in Chrome:
- Launch Chrome on your desktop.
- Click on the three vertical dots in the upper right-hand corner of the browser.
- Navigate to “Settings.”
- Click on the “On startup” section from the left-hand menu.
- You’ll see three options to choose from. Select the “Open the New Tab page.”
This will set your Homepage as a New Tab page in Chrome.
How to Change the New Tab Back to Default in Chrome?
Maybe you added a new extension you don’t like or simply want to go back to your default New Tab Page design. Fortunately, this is an easy and quick change:
- Open a New Tab in Chrome.
- Navigate to the bottom right-hand corner and click on the “Customize” button.
- Choose the “No background” thumbnail from the pop-up menu.
- Click “Done” to finish.
This will now revert your New Tab Page in Chrome back to default.
How to Display a Blank Page on New Tab in Chrome?
Maybe you’re looking for a more minimalist approach for your browser and decided to change your New Page tab to a blank one. Luckily, this is a relatively straightforward process. It involves adding this extension. Follow these steps for instructions on how to do so:
- Visit the link above and click on “Add to Chrome” next to its name.
- Click “Add extension” in the pop-up window to confirm.
The extension is now automatically added. The next time you open up a new tab, it will display as a blank page.
Here are some more questions to help you get the most out of this topic.
How Do I Change What My New Tab Page Opens On?
Your default New Tab page will display a Google logo and search bar, followed by thumbnail tiles of your most visited websites. If you want to change this setting, you can download an extension from Chrome’s Web Store.
How Do I Set Google as My New Tab Page?
By default, Chrome’s New Tab page will feature a Google search bar along with thumbnails of your most visited websites. However, if you don’t want your New Tab Page to show the thumbnails, you can simply remove them and have a clear Google interface. Alternatively, you can add this extension and add Google as your default New Tab page URL.
How Do I Change the Default Chrome New Tab?
If you want to change to a fresh New Tab page in Chrome, you need to add Chrome extensions. In case you want to make changes to your existing default New Tab page, know that you can only change its background and reposition, remove, and edit the thumbnail tiles.
Customize Your Chrome Tabs
Changing your New Tab page in Chrome can come as a light wind of change for your daily browsing activities. Whether you’re bored of its default setting or you’re up for a more minimalist approach, this article has got you covered. We’ve shown you some of the most popular extensions that will take your Chrome browsing experience to the next level.
Which Chrome New Tab extension best fits your needs or personal preferences? Share your experiences in the comments section below.