How to Change Your Username on Twitter from Any Device
Twitter allows users to change their username to whatever they want, andthe method to do so is rather simple. Below, we’ll give you a step-by-step guideon how to change your username on Twitter for all available platforms.
How to Change Your Name and Usernameon Twitter from a Windows, Mac, or Chromebook PC
If you’re using a computer for logging in to Twitter, whether it’s adesktop PC or a laptop, then changing your username and display name aresimilar across platforms. As Twitter itself isn’t dependent on the operatingsystem that your computer is using, the instructions are the same.
To change your Username:
- Log in to your Twitter account.
- On the menu to the left, click on More.
- From the menu that pops up, choose Settings and Privacy.
- Under the Settings tab, click on Your Account.
- Click on Account Information on the menu to the right.
- Sometimes you will be prompted to enter your password at this point.
Do so, and click on OK.
- On the menu on the right, click on Username.
- On the username text box, type in the name that you wish to use.
Twitter will automatically check if the name is available. If it is, continue.
- When you’re done, click on Save in the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Your username should now be changed.
To change your Display Name or Handle
- Open your Twitter account and go to the home page.
- Click on your profile picture.
- Click on the Edit Profile button on the lower right of your profile banner.
- In the Name text box, type in the Display name that you wish to use.
- When you’re done, click on Save on the upper right of the window.
- Your Display name should now be changed.
How to Change Your Name and Usernameon Twitter from an Android Device
If you’re using Twitter on Android, then changing either your username or display name will be identical to using the desktop. The procedure is as follows:
- To change your username
- Open the Twitter mobile app.
- Tap on your profile icon on the upper left corner of the screen.
- On the menu that appears, tap on Settings and privacy.
- From the list, tap on Account.
- Under Login and security, tap on Username.
- Type in your desired username. If this is available, a green checkmark will appear.
- Tap on Done.
- Your username should now have been updated.
To change your Display Name.
- Open the Twitter mobile app.
- On the home page, tap on your profile pic in the upper left corner of the screen.
- Tap on Profile.
- Tap on the Edit Profile button located on the lower right corner of the banner pic.
- Under Name, type in the name that you want displayed on your Twitter account.
- Tap on Save in the upper right corner of the screen.
- The changes that you have made should now have been applied.
How to Change Your Name and Usernameon Twitter from the iPhone
As Twitter is not dependent on the same operating system, the procedureto change your display name and username on a mobile should be the same. If youwish to edit your name on the iPhone version of Twitter, refer to theinstructions outlined in the Android version above.
Other Interesting TwitterCustomization Features
Changing your username and handle aren’t the only customization featuresavailable to you on Twitter. Users can also avail themselves of the followingpersonalization options:
Changing Your Twitter Profile Picture
If you wish to change how your Twitter profile picture looks, then youcan do the following:
On Windows, Mac, or Chromebook PC
- Open and log into your Twitter account.
- On the home page, click on your profile picture.
- Click on the Edit Profile button on the bottom right of the banner picture.
- Click on the camera icon on your profile pic.
- Choose an image that you wish to use for your picture, then click on Open.
- Adjust the picture to your desired position and size.
- Click on Apply.
- Click on Save on the upper right portion of the window.
- Your new picture should now be saved.
On the Mobile App
- Open Twitter for Mobile.
- Tap on your profile picture in the upper left corner of the screen.
- On the menu, tap on Profile.
- Tap on the Edit Profile button, on the bottom right of the banner picture.
- Tap on the camera icon on your profile pic.
- If you wish to take a picture, tap on Take a Photo. If you have an image that you want to use, tap on Choose existing photo.
- Adjust the image as you see fit.
- When you’re done, tap on Use in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Tap on Save on the upper corner of the screen.
- Your profile pic should now be changed.
Changing How Your Twitter Page Looks
If you wish to change the way your Twitter page actually looks, here’swhat you need to do:
On Windows, Mac, or Chromebook PC
- Log in to Twitter.
- On the side menu bar to the left, click on More.
- Click on Display.
- Pick and choose the look of your Twitter page from the options given on the popup window.
- Once you’re through editing, click on Done at the bottom of the window.
- Your changes should now be reflected on your Twitter page.
Alternatively, you can also access these settings on a PC:
- While on the home page click on More on the left side menu.
- Click on Settings and Privacy from the menu.
- Under the Settings tab, click on Accessibility, display, and languages.
- On the right menu, click on Display.
- The options available to you as per the display window above are also available from this menu.
- Any changes made are automatically applied. Once you’re done, navigate out of this screen, or click on home.
On the Mobile App
- Open Twitter for mobile.
- Tap your profile pic in the upper left corner of the screen.
- On the menu, tap on Settings and privacy.
- Under the General tab, tap on Display and Sound.
- You can turn on Dark Mode by toggling the option under Display.
Other display options are only available on the desktop version.
- Changes that you make are saved automatically. Navigate out of this screen, or tap on Home.
These are the most frequently asked questions about changing your Twitter name and handle.
Are there any other additional customizations I can add to the way my user name or name is displayed on Twitter?
If you wish to add a bit of flair to your Twitter handle, then you can put either symbols or emojis on your name. To do this, proceed to the change display name instructions for either PC or mobile as detailed above.
When you’re typing in your name, right-click if you’re using a PC. From the menu, choose Emoji, and pick the one that you want to use. If you’re using mobile, this is simpler, as there’s an emoji key right on the virtual keyboard. When you’re done, save as instructed above.
Do note that this doesn’t apply to usernames. Only alphanumeric characters, except for underscores can be used for usernames.
What is the longest and shortest that a Twitter user name can be?
Your Twitter username must be at least four characters for it to be valid. They also have a maximum length of 15 characters. In addition, you can’t use a username that is already being used by someone else, and, as mentioned above, it can only contain alphanumeric characters or underscores.
Display names can be a single character if you wish, and have a maximum length of 50 characters. Again, as mentioned above, symbols and emojis can be used on your display name.
How often can I change my Twitter user name?
Unlike other social media sites, Twitter has no policy on how many times you can change your username or handle. You can change it as many times as you want. Also, there is no verification procedure when choosing your new username or display name. An occasional password confirmation screen will appear whenever you want to view your account information, but other than that, changing it is all up to you.
Twitter’s rather lax policies regarding usernames and display names allow its users the freedom to pick unique titles as often as they want to. With the process being so simple, as long as you know what to do, it makes Twitter profile customization quite unique among its contemporaries.
Do you know of other ways on how to change your username on Twitter?Share your thoughts in the comments section below.