How to Disable Bitdefender Temporarily or Permanently
Bitdefender is one of the best antivirus products on the market. For a reasonable price, users get comprehensive online threat prevention and defense, ransomware remediation, as well as a VPN.
But there comes a time when your antivirus system is a little too protective. For example, if you’re trying to install legitimate software and Bitdefender is preventing you, it may be necessary to disable it for a while.
The Bitdefender Total Security interface has several modules that you can control, including shutting off the shield against online threats. Why you choose to disable the Bitdefender is up to you, but here are all the steps to do it.
How to Disable Bitdefender Temporarily
If your Bitdefender interferes with an application you want to install or use, you’ll need to disable it temporarily. Fortunately, the Bitdefender Total Security app allows you to do that effortlessly. Here’s how it works:
- Launch the Bitdefender Total Security app from your desktop.
- On the left-hand side of the main interface, choose the “Protection” section.
- Click on “Open” under the “Antivirus” section.
- From the “Advanced” tab, select “Bitdefender Shield.”
- A pop-up window will appear. You will be prompted to select how long you want to keep the protection disabled. Select the duration and click “OK.”
Once the selected time has passed, Bitdefender will automatically turn on the protection shield.
To disable additional features, you can return to the “Protection” section and switch off the toggle buttons for:
- Ransomware Remediation
You can also open the “Advanced Threat Defense” section and turn off all the features. When you want Bitdefender to go back to protecting your computer, make sure to switch the toggle buttons on again.
How to Disable Bitdefender Permanently
Bitdefender offers an option to disable the app permanently if necessary. Naturally, this is not recommended, but if you’re trying to test a different antivirus, you might need Bitdefender off for much longer.
The process is the same as the one for disabling Bitdefender temporarily – but you will need to choose a different option from the drop-down menu. Here’s how it works precisely:
- Open the Bitdefender Total Security app on your computer.
- Select the “Protection” section on the left-hand side of the interface.
- Under the “Antivirus” section, click on “Open.”
- Switch to the “Advanced” tab and click on “Bitdefender Shield.”
- A new window will appear. From the drop-down menu, select “Permanently.”
- Select “OK.”
To turn Bitdefender back on, go to the “Protection” window again, and in the “Antivirus” section, move the Bitdefender Shield toggle button.
How to Disable Bitdefender VPN
When you purchase Bitdefender Total Security, a VPN is a part of the package. However, the service offers only 200MB per day, and if you want unlimited access, Bitdefender offers a separate subscription.
Therefore, it makes sense that users won’t be keeping the VPN on all the time and will often need to disable it. Again, the Bitdefender Total Security interface offers an effortless solution:
- On the left-hand pane, select “Privacy.”
- Select the “VPN” module and click on “Open VPN.”
- If the VPN is currently connected, click to disconnect it.
That is all there is to it. Next time you need to use VPN, follow the same steps and connect.
How to Disable Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools
The Endpoint Security Tools in your antivirus system is meant to integrate additional features and protections from threats caused by human error and sophisticated malicious attacks.
However, sometimes it’s necessary to remove the Bitdefender Endpoint Security Tools or BEST. If the current installation is corrupted or the endpoints have issues due to previous installations, you will need to uninstall the BEST.
It’s also necessary to use the uninstall tool to remove the security agent from the computer. Here’s what that process looks like:
- Download this tool on your computer.
- Launch Command Prompt on your computer.
- Go to the folder where you have saved the uninstall package.
- Run this command:
BEST_uninstallTool.exe /bdparams /password= your_plain_text_password
Remember that you will need administrative rights on your computer to perform this task.
How to Disable Bitdefender Safepay
Staying safe online when using banking tools and shopping is essential but not always easy. If you have a Bitdefender license, you can use the Safepay browser to complete these activities without worry.
It’s a sealed environment designed to keep your information secure and away from hackers. However, the Safepay feature could be a little cumbersome, and not everyone wants to use designated browsers every time they want to check their bank account online.
The problem is that when the Safepay feature is on, every time you want to make a transaction, Bitdefender will prompt you to use Safepay. The good news is that you can disable this feature and only use Safepay when you choose. Here’s how to make that happen:
- Open the Bitdefender Total Security interface.
- Go to the “Privacy” section on the left-hand side.
- Under “Safepay,” select “Settings.”
- Switch to the “Settings” tab again.
- You will see three toggle switches. Make sure to disable “Safepay Notifications” and “Automatically open Bitdefender Safepay.”
By disabling these features, websites will not send you notifications to open certain pages with Safepay, and even the bookmarked sited won’t auto-launch in this browser.
How to Disable Bitdefender Auto-Renewal
Bitdefender offers several subscription plans to their users, all charged annually. You can get Bitdefender for a single device or use it across five devices.
When you purchase the antivirus, Bitdefender offers an auto-renewal option to ensure users don’t forget to extend their licenses. However, not everyone is sure they will choose to renew the Bitdefender subscription, so they’d rather turn off the auto-renewal feature.
Bitdefender has an online platform that makes managing subscriptions straightforward. It’s called Bitdefender Central, and here is how to use it.
If you purchased Bitdefender with the same email you use to log into Central, do the following:
- Go to your Bitdefender Central account.
- Select the “My Subscriptions” section from the left side of the window.
- Click on “My Payments” at the very top of the page.
- Select “View Details” next to the subscription you want to change.
- A new page will open, showing your purchase history. Select “Manage your subscription renewal options.”
- Click on “Stop auto-renewal.”
You will receive an automatic email informing you that the change was successful.
If you bought Bitdefender with a different email you use to log into Central, follow these steps:
- Go to the Bitdefender 2Checkout account, an authorized vendor for Bitdefender products.
- Select the “My Products” tab.
- Click on “Stop automatic subscription renewal” on every active subscription.
- A pop-up window will appear, asking to confirm the selection. Click on the “Stop auto-renewal” option.
- Choose or enter a reason for canceling auto-renewal.
- Select “Stop auto-renewal” again.
Note: Even if you forget to disable auto-renewal right away, Bitdefender will send you a reminder that your subscription is expiring seven days before they charge you again.
Manage Your Bitdefender Successfully
It’s hard to imagine having any online experience without an efficient antivirus system. Bitdefender does a great of protecting your data, blocking spam, and keeping those phishing attacks at bay.
But when it’s being overprotective, you have to disable it. The Bitdefender has a user-friendly interface, divided into modules and sections and straightforward management. You can use the integrated Safepay browser, but not every single time.
The same applies to their VPN feature; plus, even though auto-renewal can be handy, you don’t have to get charged for another subscription until that works for you.
Do you use Bitdefender? How easy is it to disable the shield and other features? Let us know in the comments section below.