How to Disable YouTube Shorts
It was only a matter of time before popular video platforms such as YouTube implemented bite-sized, portrait-mode videos after Vine and TikTok made them a trend. They can be fun tiny pieces of content for sharing simple ideas, promoting a channel, or looking at cute cats. However, they can be a distraction or a data drain.
If these concerns ring true for you, this guide will explore various methods you can try to disable this feature.
How to Disable YouTube Shorts on a PC
YouTube Shorts may not appear if you’re watching on a web browser from your computer. They generally appear as a tab on your YT home page sidebar which is easy to ignore.
However, Shorts may add suggestions on your homepage, search results, or related videos. Currently, there is no option to disable Shorts within YouTube settings. You can click the “X “on the Shorts panel to hide it for 30 days, after which they will reappear. As a more permanent solution, use an extension for your browser to eliminate Shorts across the site.
There are a few Shorts blocker extension choices like the ones listed below.
For Chrome and Edge:
- ShortsBlocker (SageMod)
- Hide YouTube Shorts (ProbablyRaging)
- YouTube-Shorts Block (Doma_itachi)
- Hide YouTube Shorts (Vulpelo)
- Remove YouTube Shorts (Raven Liu)
- BlockYT (Nikita Kukushkin – this one is not free)
When you’re ready to install an extension, follow these steps:
- Visit the extension store or repo for your browser.
- Search for the extension.
- Click “Add” or “Install.”
How to Disable YouTube Shorts on Mobile
The YouTube mobile app is the primary home of YouTube Shorts, so this is where you’ll be most likely to encounter them. They are generally fun and closely related to your watch history but could be distracting, slow your device down or consume data when you don’t want.
If you’re using an Android device, try one of the following methods:
Downgrade the YouTube App (note – this method may not work in the future)
- Disable automatic updates for YouTube in the Google Play Store.
- Download an older YouTube app version (such as 220.127.116.11) from a trustworthy APK source like APKmirror.com or APKPure.com.
- Install the APK on your phone.
- You should no longer see Shorts when you open the downloaded app.
Uninstall YouTube Updates (might not work on future devices)
- Disable automatic YouTube app updates.
- Open Android Settings and navigate to Apps.
- Tap on “YouTube” and then “Uninstall Updates.”
- When you uninstall the updates, you should have a factory version of YouTube without Shorts.
Currently, there is no direct way to disable YouTube Shorts on the iOS YouTube app. As a workaround, you can use the iOS web browser in desktop mode:
- Open your phone’s web browser and visit YouTube’s official website.
- Request the site’s desktop version (usually found in the browser’s settings or menu).
- Log in to your YouTube account.
- Find the Shorts panel on the YouTube homepage and click the “X” in the top right corner to hide it for 30 days.
How to Disable YouTube Shorts on Android Smart TVs
These methods can help you avoid YouTube Shorts on your Google or Android smart TV.
Prevent YouTube TV App Updates
This method is safe and easy, but you may miss out on useful features and improvements if you stop receiving YouTube updates.
- Launch the Google Play Store if it is available on your TV.
- Scroll down and then click “Settings.”
- Find “Auto-update apps” and set it to “Don’t auto-update apps.”
Downgrade the YouTube App
Downgrading is another easy method if your TV has an older version preinstalled. However, you may also miss out on new features, and this method may not work at all if your device is too new.
- Find “Settings” on your Android TV.
- Scroll down until you see “Apps.”
- Choose “YouTube” from the installed applications list.
- Press “Uninstall Updates.”
- Click “OK,” and the updates will be removed.
Install an Older YouTube TV App Version
This method is slightly more advanced, allowing you to choose the YouTube version you wish to install. However, it may not work on all devices, especially if it has a newer version of YouTube preinstalled.
- Download a YouTube APK version old enough not to have the Shorts feature from a trustworthy source.
- Install “Send Files to the TV” on your phone and the Android smart TV to share files between the two.
- Launch the app on the TV.
- Press “Receive.”
- Open the app on your phone, choose “Send,” and select the APK file you downloaded.
- Install Solid File Explorer (a file manager app for Android) on your TV.
- Go to the folder where you saved it, select the APK, and “Install.”
As another method for slightly more advanced users, it will let you take more control over your YouTube-watching experience.
- Go to GitHub and download the SmartTubeNext APK on your PC or phone if your TV doesn’t have a downloads manager.
- Move the SmartTubeNext app to your TV and install it.
- Open SmartTubeNext.
- Press “Settings” and choose to hide YouTube Shorts on your TV.
Alternative Methods for Disabling YouTube Shorts
If the abovementioned methods aren’t quite to your liking, here are some alternatives for disabling YouTube Shorts:
Adding a Parameter
A possible way to avoid YouTube Shorts is to modify the video URL. Adding the parameter “&disable_polymer=true” to the end of the YouTube URL can disable certain features, including Shorts. Be warned that this method may not work consistently or could impact other site functionality.
Creating custom playlists can give you more control over the videos you wish to watch, effectively bypassing YouTube Shorts. This method requires more time to curate playlists but provides a tailored watch experience.
Third-party websites, like Invidious and FreeTube, provide an alternative way to watch YouTube without interruptions from Shorts or ads. It’s, however, worth noting that these sites may have downsides, such as limited content or lower video quality, and they might not support content creators’ ad revenue.
Should You Disable YouTube Shorts?
Disabling YouTube Shorts can help users be more focused while browsing the site. This is ideal for people who are easily distracted, don’t react well to too many stimuli, or dislike short-form content. Removing Shorts may also provide better control over the type of videos users see. Finally, it conserves limited mobile data since Shorts tend to auto-play and can appear under a video you’re watching.
Conversely, disabling YouTube Shorts might limit exposure to new content and creators. Shorts provide a quick way to discover trends, ideas, or talent. Some types of video content may work best as short-form content. By disabling Shorts, you could miss out on some exciting content.
YouTube community forums can provide insights into new developments on the site and everyday user experiences. Users can share their thoughts, concerns, and ideas about YouTube Shorts and other features.
If you have any ideas or suggestions regarding Shorts and how they could be improved, consider joining the discussion on the official forums and sharing your thoughts. One voice may not seem particularly significant, but sharing ideas with the community may create a ripple effect and perhaps even reach the YouTube staff.
Will disabling YouTube Shorts affect my YouTube recommendations?
Disabling YouTube Shorts might affect your recommendations very slightly. The algorithm will not have information about your interaction with Shorts.
Can I disable YouTube Shorts for individual channels?
There is currently no way to disable YouTube Shorts for only specific channels. You can only remove them across the board.
Is it possible to permanently disable YouTube Shorts?
There is no built-in option to disable YouTube Shorts permanently. But browser extensions or alternative YouTube interfaces make it possible to hide Shorts from YouTube permanently.
Too Short to Broadcast Yourself
YouTube Shorts can be a terrific way to discover new content or quickly put a smile on your face. But they are not everyone’s cup of tea. Disabling them can improve focus, save mobile data, and help you set your YouTube environment precisely as you like.
Did you manage to disable YouTube Shorts? Which method did you use? Please speak your mind in the comment section.