How to Find Router Password [NetGear, Linksys, Uverse, Xfinity]
If you want toset up your Wi-Fi or change your internet settings, you will need to get directaccess to your router. But what if you’ve forgotten the router’s password?
This articlewill tell you all about finding your router password, and some also generaltips and tricks for commonly used routers.
How to Find Your Router’s Password
If you wantyour router’s login password, devices connecting to it won’t help you.Therefore, it won’t matter if you’re trying to access it from a PC or a phone.The process will be the same.
The firstoption you have in determining your router’s password is to look at the routeritself. More often than not, the router will have a label on it listing itslogin username and password.
If the stockpassword doesn’t work, it’s most likely been changed when it was set up. Ifyour router was set up by someone else, give them a call. The person that setup your network might be able to remember what password they used or where theyhad saved it.
Another optionis to google for the default password of the router. Make sure you correctlylist the model, as different models can have different default passwords.
If thesemethods don’t yield results, and the router has a listed stock username andpassword on it, reset it by pressing the RESET button. Once a router has beenreset, you can access it through your PC or phone using the stock information.
If you’vereset your router, use the stock SSID and password to log into the Wi-Finetwork. Either that or connect the router through a cable to your PC. Thestock SSID and default Wi-Fi password are provided on the same label.
If nothingworks, contact your internet service provider. They will either help you getyour router password or provide you with a different router with a knownpassword.
Common Router Brands & Default Password
If you’re locked out of your router and there’s no sticker with the default password, there’s a chance that the internet can help you. Most routers come with a default password, depending on the manufacturer, and we’ve compiled a list of the most common for you to check out. If you don’t find your router here, try googling your router’s model or go to this website.
How to Find Router Login for a Netgear Router
NetGear uses a few different login combinations for their routers. The full list is available here, but we will give you the gist:
- If you’re using a Comcastrouter, try out the username “comcast” and the password: “1234”
- If that doesn’t work, tryusing the combination of “admin” and “password”
- Alternatively, you can usethe password “1234”
- Some routers don’t use ausername and others don’t use a password at all, so leave one of the boxesempty and try the abovementioned combinations.
You can go to the link, find your exact model of NetGear routers, and locate the default password used if none of our suggestions work.
If these don’twork, you’ll need to contact your service provider for information about yourrouter. They’ll give you the correct login information or provide you with anew one. If you purchased the router separately, you can try calling themanufacturer.
How to Find Router Login for a Linksys Router
You can find the full list of login combinations for Linksys routers here or use this summary:
- For Comcast routers, use“comcast” and “1234” as your username and password combination.
- Use “admin”/”admin”
- Use “Administrator” insteadfor the username.
- Leave one of the fieldsempty.
If the list inthe link didn’t work, contact your ISP. They’ll provide you with a logincombination or a new router. Alternatively, you can contact Linksys.
How to Find Router Login for Uverse
AT&Tdoesn’t publicly list any default logins for its U-verse routers.
To log intothe U-verse router, put “192.168.1.254” in your browser’s address bar. Oncethere, use the login information provided on the back of your router. This isusually next to the labels named “System Password” or “Device System Code.” Ifyou do not see a password, try using “admin” for the username and leaving thepassword field empty.
Otherwise,you’ll need to get AT&T support to fix your issue for you. They’ll eitherprovide you with the correct password or give you a new router.
How to Find Router Login for Xfinity
To log intoyour Xfinity router, follow these steps:
- Connect your Xfinity routerto a PC.
- In a browser, go to theaddress “10.0.0.1.” This will open the login menu
- The default username is“admin” and the default password is “password”
- If these don’t work, youwill need to contact your service provider. Alternatively, you can reset therouter by pressing the reset button. Then, use the default username/passwordcombination.
- You can now access yourXfinity router settings.
How to Find Router IP & Password from an iPhone
To find yourrouter’s IP address on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Tap Settings.
- Tap Wi-Fi.
- Tap the “i” icon next to the network name. The network has to be the network whose router you’re trying to access.
- Look for the IP address in the Router field.
- Once you’ve found the IP address, you can put it in your browser’s address tab and log into your browser.
If you do notknow your router’s login password, follow the steps mentioned at the start ofthe article.
How to Find Router IP & Password from a Windows PC
To find the IPof your router from a Windows PC, follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu/search bar.
- Type in “cmd” to open the Command Prompt.
- Type in the command “ipconfig” and press Enter.
- Look for the network connection for your router. If you’re using a cable, this is usually Ethernet. If you’re using Wi-Fi, it uses a Wi-Fi adapter.
- The router’s IP is under the “default gateway” information. Use the IPv4 format of the gateway (ie. 10.0.0.1).
This methodwill only give you the IP address of the router. You can plug that address in abrowser to log into the router and change its settings. If you don’t have theusername/password combination, contact your ISP or look for the default one asmentioned before.
How to Find Router IP & Password from a Mac
If you’reusing a Mac, follow these steps:
Step 1Click the Apple Menu.
Step 2Select System Preferences.
Step 3Select Network.
Step 4Choose your network connection. This will usually be Wi-Fi or Ethernet/Local Area Connection.
Step 5Click “Advanced” on the bottom right.
Step 6On the TCP/IP tab, look for “Router.” The numbers are your router’s IP address. They should look something like this: 192.168.1.1 or 10.0.0.1.
If you do notknow your router’s login information, you will need to contact your ISP.Getting your IP address can get you only so far.
How to Find Router Password from an Android Device
The simpleanswer is that you can’t. Android, by default, can’t help you get your router’spassword information.
You can findyour router’s IP address by following these steps:
Step 1Open Settings.
Step 2Open Wi-Fi.
Step 3Tap the arrow next to the network you’re on. Make sure you’re connected to the network that you’re trying to find out the IP for.
Step 4The IP address of the router is listed under Gateway.
If you want toshare a Wi-Fi password from your Android, you can go to Wi-Fi and then press onthe network you want to share. A QR code will pop up on your screen. Scanningthat code with another device will give it the Wi-Fi password.
How to Find Router Password from an iPad
There is noway to find your router’s password from an iPad.
If you want tofind your Wi-Fi password from an iPhone or iPad, your only option is to loginto your router and by finding its IP and using the router login combination.
Alternatively,you can share a password with someone you’re connected to over Bluetooth. To doso, follow these steps:
- Open Settings.
- Open Wi-Fi.
- Click on the network youwant to share the password of.
- Once prompted, click Done.
- This works for devices thatare connected to you via Bluetooth and are on the same network.
Routed to Success
If you’vefollowed this guide, you have hopefully succeeded in obtaining your router’spassword. It can be a tricky task, and sometimes the only option is to replacethe router entirely. It’s helpful to keep track of your router’s logininformation.
Did any of thedefault passwords work for you? Did you contact your ISP? Let us know in thecomment section below.