How to Make a YouTube Playlist
One of thebest things about YouTube, aside from the massive amount of video content, isthe ease with which you can organize content. It’s very simple to createplaylists and rewatch certain videos at your leisure, without having tomanually search for them.
How to Make a YouTube Playlist Without a Channel
There’s noneed to create your own channel to build one or more playlists on YouTube. Ifyou simply sign into your account, you can start making playlists. And thereare a couple of ways to do this too.
- Search for the video that you want to add
- From the list of results, click the three-dotted icon.
- Select the Save to Playlist option.
- Save the video to one of your existing playlists or create a new playlist.
- Name your new playlist and hit save.
- Resume to finding more videos.
- Find a video and start the playback.
- If you like it, click on the Save (Plus icon) button under the player.
- Add it to an existing playlist or a new one.
How to Make a YouTube Playlist Private
There area couple of ways to make your playlist private on YouTube. You can do this whenyou first create a new playlist.
When you add a video to a playlist, YouTube asks you where you want to save it. If you select the Create New Playlist option, you can name it. Underneath the name field, you have a privacy field. Click on the down arrow and select the Private option from that list.
Thissetting means that only you can play that playlist as you’re logged into youraccount.
You canalso change the privacy settings when you view an old playlist from your list.As you bring up the list of videos, on the left side of the list you can see athumbnail of the first video. You also see the name of the playlist, the numberof videos, and other characteristics.
If you seethe word Public or Unlisted, click the down arrow to bring up all the options.Select Private from that list.
You canchange privacy settings for playlists on any device. And, you can edit themfrom as early as when you create a new playlist. After you add videos and nameyour playlist, YouTube gives you a popup that informs you of the privacysettings.
How to Make a YouTube Playlist to Share
If youhave public playlists saved on your YouTube account, everyone can view them – intheory. However, people need to access a link to see the playlist. You cancreate a link that you can then share with friends or your social media.
- Launch the YouTube app or open YouTube in a browser.
- Go through your playlists and find one you want to share.
- Hit the three-dotted menu button next to the playlist.
- Hit the Share button.
- Choose a social media platform you want to share the playlist on.
It helpsif you’ve linked your YouTube account with your other accounts. When you clickor tap the Share button, YouTube also generates a unique link for the playlist.You can copy that link and paste it manually in a chat tab, as a status update,and so on.
But, makesure that the playlist you want to share isn’t set to private.
How to Make a YouTube Playlist without an Account
We toldyou that you don’t need a channel to create a playlist. Having a Google orYouTube account is enough to create a playlist and save it. But what if youdon’t have an account?
You canmake a YouTube playlist even if you don’t have an account or if you simplydon’t want to sign in. It’s a lengthier process but you can also save thisplaylist so you can listen to it later.
- First, go to YouTube and start playing some videos.
- Copy and paste the video URL into a text document.
- Save the last portion of the URL, or the video’s ID.
For this YouTube video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qz6XNSB0F3E the “Qz6XNSB0F3E” part is the unique ID.
- Copy paste the following line in your browser
- Add the music video IDs after the “=” in sequence and separate them with periods,
Example – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v= Qz6XNSB0F3E, w_DKWlrA24k, QK-Z1K67uaA
- Press enter to open a YouTube playlist that features those videos in order.
You cansave that link in your inbox, bookmark it, or save it in a text document forlater use. Even though you can’t save the playlist on YouTube (because youdon’t have an account), the link recreates the playlist every time.
How to Make a YouTube Playlist on a Mac, Windows 10, orChromebook PC
If you’reusing a Mac, Windows, or Chromebook PC, then you’re using the browser versionof YouTube. Creating a playlist is very simple as there aren’t any differentsteps from the previously explained ones.
- Go to YouTube.com
- Log into your account.
- Find videos and click the Save button next to them.
- Add them to existing or new playlists.
How to Make a YouTube Playlist on an iPhone
Here’s howyou can save videos to playlists on your iPhone.
- Launch the YouTube app.
- Find a new video that you want towatch.
- Tap the Save button underneath theplayer.
- When prompted, select the playlist youwant to send the video to.
- Tap the Change button if you want tosave it to another playlist.
Alternatively,you can also create a playlist from the Library tab.
- Launch the YouTube app.
- Go to the Library tab (black icon witha white Play button).
- Go to the Playlists section.
- Tap on the New Playlist option.
- Browse your watch history and selectvideos to add to that new playlist.
- Tap Next and name your playlist.
- Change the privacy settings whenprompted.
- Tap Create to build and save thatplaylist.
How to Make a YouTube Playlist on an Android Device
Android deviceshave a nearly identical process of creating a YouTube playlist. When using theYouTube app, do the following:
- Launch the YouTube app and log in.
- Go to your Library tab.
- Tap the New Playlist button.
- Select videos from your watch history.
- Tap Next.
- Name your playlist and edit the privacy settings.
- Tap Create to save it.
You canalso start the process by going through videos first.
- Find a video.
- Tap the Save button next to it in the search results, or underneath the player.
- Select an existing playlist to save it in or create a new one.
- Repeat the process until you have enough videos.
Therereally isn’t any difference whether you use the YouTube app or the mobileversion of the website. You can use the same steps whether you’re on an iPhoneor Android device. Whether you use the app or a mobile browser.
How to Make a YouTube Playlist Repeat
Assumingyou’re using the browser version of YouTube on a computer, looping a playlistis very simple.
- Go to the left panel menu on YouTube.
- Click the Show More button to see your playlists.
- Click on a playlist to select it.
- Start playback on any video in the playlist.
- In the right-side menu, click on the Loop button.
Now yourplaylist will resume from the beginning at the end of the last video.Alternatively, you can also hit the Shuffle button if you want to hear a randomselection of videos from your list.
Whilemobile device users have a hard time looping individual videos, putting aplaylist on repeat is easy enough.
- Launch the YouTube app on your phone.
- Tap on a playlist to view it.
- Tap on the repeat/loop button.
Thisactivates the repeat function and allows you to restart the playback from thefirst video once the last one ends.
Difference Between YouTube Playlist and YouTube Queue
YouTube’sQueue feature is quite different from the traditional playlist. You can add avideo to your queue from the home page, recommendations list, and search page.You can also do it before or after starting a video playback.
To add to thequeue, hover on any video thumbnail and press the queue button. You can do thisas many times as you want.
Once you start a queue, you can add more videos to it and the queue remains there, even if you load a new YouTube page. But, unlike a playlist, you can see the queue with those videos in a mini-player that pops up in the lower right corner of the screen. Note that if you have the Autoplay feature on; when you’re done with your current video the queued videos won’t automatically start.
You haveto press the Play button on the mini-player to watch your queued videos. And ifyou don’t have an account, once you leave YouTube, your queue disappears.
YouTube Playlist Advanced Settings
If you’reusing the browser version of YouTube, you also have access to an AdvancedSettings menu.
- Open any playlist.
- Click the three-dotted icon.
- Select Playlist Settings.
- Click the Advanced Settings option.
- Under the Basic tab, edit privacy and order settings.
- Under the Auto add tab, select parameters that allow YouTube to automatically add new videos to your playlist.
- Under the Collaborate tab, invite collaborators and give them editing privileges over the playlist.
- Click the Get Link button to generate a unique invite link to give to other people.
You canalso access collaborator options from the basic settings menu.
If youwant to use the Auto Add function, know that there are three rules you can set:
- Title Contains.
- Description Contains.
For each of those rules, you can add certain keywords. YouTube’s algorithm then adds newly uploaded videos that fall under those rules to the playlist of your choice. However, YouTube won’t add videos that already exist and match your criteria.
How to Delete a YouTube Playlist
Deleting playlists,on any device or version of YouTube, is very easy.
- Log into your account.
- Go into the Library tab.
- Go to the Playlists section and select a playlist.
- Click or tap on the three-dotted menu button.
- Select the Delete Playlist option.
- Confirm the action.
Thatplaylist will no longer be available, not even in searches or in YouTubeAnalytics. However, the playlist may still appear in watch histories.
Difference Between Channels and Playlists on YouTube
Your YouTubechannel is the total sum of all your videos. It’s a representation of yourYouTube account, the medium where videos get posted. Users can subscribe tochannels but they can’t subscribe to playlists.
Playlists,on the other hand, are a way of breaking down videos. It’s an organizationalfeature that allows you to separate your content into categories.
Note thatas a user, you can create your own playlists with your content or other people’suploaded content. However, a YouTube channel may also have automaticallygenerated playlists. You see this often with the channels of popular YouTubers.The platform uses unique algorithms that categorize certain videos and bundlesthem up in playlists.
AlthoughYouTube dropped some playlist-related features recently, it still has one ofthe smoothest playlist creation and editing processes.
Let usknow if you’ve experienced any issues with defining privacy settings, sharingplaylists, or adding your favorite videos.