How to Make Siri Talk on TikTok
If you’re a frequent TikTok user, you’ve probably come across videos with a lively and upbeat background voice that narrates the clip you’re watching. This is done through TikTok’s text-to-speech option that lets you add a voice to videos even when you don’t feel like talking.
The steps to adding voiceover to a TikTok video are pretty straightforward. But to make your TikTok experience even smoother, follow the tutorials in this article.
How to Add Voiceover on TikTok
Despite what people think, the “Siri” on TikTok isn’t actually the virtual assistant you hear on your Apple devices. But due to its similarities, TikTok’s energetic voiceover has become known as the “Siri” voice.
Many people feel more comfortable when they can simultaneously read what they’re hearing. Here’s how to add narration to TikTok using “Siri.”
- Launch TikTok on your phone.
- Click the “Plus” icon at the bottom middle to create a video.
- Create a new video by pressing the red recording button or upload an existing one by tapping the “Upload” next to it and selecting a video from your Gallery.
- Once you’re in the video editing section, click “Aa” from the side menu.
- Choose the text’s font, style, color, and alignment, and start typing the narration you want.
- Press “Done.”
- Tap the text you’ve typed.
- Click “Text-to-speech.” You’ll hear “Siri” say the words on the screen.
- Press “Next.”
- Add the caption to your video, hashtags, mentions, and other details about your video.
- Tap “Post” to upload it to your feed.
How to Reposition Voiceover on TikTok
The duration of the voiceover can only be as long as the video. If the text is short, “Siri” will read it out in the first part of the video. However, that might not be what you’re going for if you want to add music, your own voice, or other elements besides the voiceover.
Fortunately, you can easily reposition your “Siri” voiceover to another section of the video with these steps:
- Add a video and text by following the steps from the tutorial above.
- Tap the text you’ve added.
- Click “Set duration.”|
- You’ll see where your text is positioned on the video timeline and how long it lasts. Slide it across the timeline until you’re satisfied with its new position.
- Tap the checkmark in the bottom right corner.
- Tap “Next” and post the video as usual.
How to Add Multiple Voiceover Parts on TikTok
You might want to make your TikTok video more dynamic and insert “Siri’s” voice only in some parts of the clip. That can be useful in longer instructional videos that need to tell the viewer exactly what to do at each moment.
As described in the tutorial above, you can add multiple voiceover sections to your video. However, when you enter the timeline of each piece of text you’ve added, it doesn’t show the duration of other text pieces. That might cause two voiceovers to overlap as “Siri” will read out everything that’s on the screen at the same time.
Unless you note down each millisecond, you might have a hard time figuring out when exactly one part of the voiceover ends and the next one starts. To solve this problem, you can go to the video’s more detailed editing section and work from there.
Here’s how to edit TikTok’s voiceover:
- Upload a video and add text as in the first tutorial.
- Go to “Edit” from the side menu.
- Click “Text” from the bottom toolbar.
- Tap “Add text.”
- Write the first piece of text in the font, style, color, and alignment you want.
- Tap “Done.”
- Position the text’s timeline as you wish.
- Make sure the text is selected and click “Text to speech” from the bottom toolbar.
- Ensure that nothing is selected on the screen and tap “Add text” again.
- Position the new piece of text so it doesn’t overlap with the previous one.
- Select the new piece of text and tap “Text to speech” again.
- Add as many pieces of text as you like and position them across the video’s timeline. Then, press “Save” and upload the video as you usually would.
Add Voice Effects to TikTok Videos
Even though the “Siri” voice has become the staple of many TikTok videos, some creators are not fond of this peppy voice. It can affect the seriousness of your content or seem lazy to TikTokers who wish to come off as more professional.
A viable solution for this is TikTok’s voice effects. You still won’t have to use your real voice but you will have a variety of voice tones and text colors to choose from. Moreover, no effect will sound the same as it captures each creator’s voice qualities.
To add a voice effect to your TikTok video, follow these steps:
- Open TikTok on your phone.
- Upload or record a new video as you normally would.
- Tap “Voice” from the side menu.
- Press “Record” at the bottom.
- Click on the red microphone button and speak.
- Press “Done” once finished.
- Select one of the offered voice filters from the screen.
- Click “Save.”
- Upload the video to your TikTok feed.
Can you add Siri’s voice to TikTok’s desktop app?
TikTok on a desktop has relatively limited features. It’s not only the text-to-speech option that’s unavailable but also many other features that can help your videos reach the right audience and gain more traction.
Who is the person behind TikTok’s “Siri” voice?
The person who provides the voice for TikTok’s text-to-speech function is Kat Callaghan, a Radio DJ and voiceover artist. She revealed that she’s the voice on TikTok by posting her first TikTok on October 19, 2022, and that video currently has over 50 million views.
How to get a male text-to-speech voice on TikTok
If you don’t see multiple voice options for text-to-speech on your TikTok, it can be due to several reasons:
1. Your app might not be up to date. You can solve this by going to the App Store or Google Play and updating TikTok.
2. Your phone’s operating system might also be older. Check this in your phone’s settings and perform an update if available.
3. Other voiceover options might not be available in your region. You can’t do much about this except use a reliable VPN or change your voice with a male voice effect.
Let Voiceover Take Over
Creators use TikTok’s “Siri” voice for both informative and entertainment purposes. It gives your videos a sense of uniformity without making them dull. Your viewers will always know what to expect, although you should never be afraid to occasionally switch it up and use your own voice.
Have you already tried adding the “Siri” voice to your TikTok videos? What were her “first words”? Tell us in the comments below.