How to Manage Subtitles for HBO Max [All Major Devices]
HBO Max has one of the easiest-to-use menus for enabling and disabling subtitles. It works equally well on most devices and this write-up provides a detailed guide for some of the most popular streaming gadgets available.
What’s more, HBO Max has a suite of customization options to make your reading and viewing experience more pleasant. Of course, this article will cover those as well.
How to Turn On or Off HBO Max Subtitles
The great thing is that enabling and disabling HBO Max subtitles is the same on all available streaming devices. All you need to do is navigate to the CC icon, select it, and you’re good to go.
However, there are certain things you should know about different streaming gadgets, mobile devices, and TVs. Plus, HBO Max isn’t available on all streaming gadgets and smart TVs.
Managing Subtitles on a Firestick Device
HBO Max only recently became available on Amazon’s Firestick. But fortunately, it already has the full functionality of subtitles. Activating Subtitles on HBO Max is easy.
All you need to do is press play on the title you wish to watch, then do this:
- Press the Menu button on your Firestick remote, it looks like three horizontal stripes.
- Next, click Subtitles and Audio.
- Finally, select the language you’d like to see the subtitles in.
Of course, you can also click the down direction on the remote, select the Closed Captioning on, and select the language that appears (English CC for example).
Once you’ve successfully turned your subtitles on, go back to your video by pressing the menu button again.
You can, of course, tweak your subtitles to make them work better for you as well.
Subtitle Management on a Roku Device
Roku is another device new to HBO Max, but of course, it still offers the option for subtitles as well.
Similar to the Firestick instructions above, activating the subtitles for your favorite HBO Max shows on Roku is simple.
- Hit play on the title you’d like to watch, press the star button on the Roku remote.
- Now, click on Closed captioning and turn your subtitles on.
- Click the back button in the upper left of your remote to return to your show.
- Click the Home button on your Roku remote to bring up the main menu.
- Next, scroll down and click on Settings.
- From here, scroll down and click on Accessibility.
- Then, choose Captions Mode, Captions preferred language, or Captions style to alter your captions, turn them on and off, or to edit their appearance.
Managing Subtitles on an Android or iPhone
One of the best things about mobile devices is the ability to take your favorite shows with you. Of course, you need to download and install the app on your mobile device first. Once installed, it’s easy sailing from there on out.
Once you’ve found the movie or show you’d like to watch hit the play button and follow these instructions:
- During the playback, tap on the screen (it doesn’t really matter where you tap), and then select the CC icon that pops up.
2. This action instantly toggles the subtitles on or off. It’s worth noting that they’re off by default. You will notice the CC icon in the lower left-hand corner will change from black and white to purple and black when your subtitles are turned on.
As you can see, the mobile app version of HBO Max does not offer any subtitle customization options. In order to tweak the closed captioning options, you’ll need to visit a web browser.
Managing HBO Subtitles on a PC or Mac
There’s still no desktop app for HBO Max, but the service’s web client is hard to rival. Therefore, launch your preferred browser, log in to the streaming service, and find the content you’d like to play.
- During the video playback, hover your mouse over the video to bring up the basic menu.
2. You should be able to see the CC icon next to, or just above the video timeline.
3. Click on it to enable or disable the subtitles. Here you can access more subtitle settings if you want to change the font size or style.
HBO Subtitle Management on a Smart TV (Samsung, LG, Panasonic, Sony, Vizio)
When it comes to streaming HBO Max via your smart TV, there are certain limitations. First, the service/app is available on Samsung TVs, models from 2016 onwards. Aside from these, you can also install the service on most Android TVs, including Sony.
The following sections outline the options for each of the listed TV brands.
Using HBO Max subtitles on a Samsung TV is a walk in the park.
- All you need to do is pause the playback, navigate to the CC icon with your remote, and toggle the subtitles on or off.
- With that out of the way, you might want to make sure that the subtitles are enabled on the TV itself. Launch the Samsung settings, go to Accessibility, and select Caption Settings. Next to Caption, there’s a green circle that signals the subtitles are on.
If you want to disable them, select Caption and turn off the subtitles – the green circle will turn grey.
At the time of writing, LG TVs were among those that didn’t support HBO Max. This is despite the fact that Google Play Movies & TV is available with the brand. But is there a way to play HBO Max content on your LG without purchasing a streaming dongle?
From 2019 onwards, LG started including support for AirPlay 2. This means you’d be able to cast the screen of your iOS device directly onto the TV – and this is the only way to watch HBO Max on LG. At least, until there’s native support.
If you decide to try this hack, enabling and disabling of the subtitles is done on your smartphone as previously described. And no, you won’t lose any of the image quality.
Since Panasonic runs on a proprietary smart TV OS, there’s no support for HBO Max. However, there is an option to mirror the screen of your Android or iOS smartphone.
- For this to work, both the phone and the TV need to be on the same network.
- Then, you need to press the APPS button on the remote and choose Mirroring.
- Now, go to the Settings menu of your smartphone and choose Screen Mirroring.
- There should be a VIERA model number of your TV, tap on it, then press OK on the Panasonic remote, and make sure YES is selected.
The annoying thing is that you might need to wait for a while before the connection is established. And of course, you set the subtitles via your smartphone.
As indicated, Sony smart TVs run on Android and you can download and install HBO Max from the Play Store.
- After you log in and choose the content to watch, it’s only a matter of selecting the CC icon in the playback window.
- You might need to turn on the subtitles on the TV as well, press the home button on the remote, and then select Settings.
- Next, enter the Digital Set-up menu.
- Thereon, select Subtitle Set-up and make sure the option is on. Within the same menu, you can change the subtitle display preferences such as text and font size, style, color, and more.
Yes, Vizio is one of those brands that don’t run on Android, so you can’t install the HBO Max app onto the TV. However, the TV manufacturer was quick to reveal a hack. As per their official website, you can enjoy HBO Max content via Apple AirPlay or Chromecast.
For the purposes of this article, we’ll provide explanations for AirPlay.
- Launch HBO Max on your iOS device, and play a movie or a TV Show.
- Then, tap on the AirPlay icon – it’s located in the upper right corner of the screen.
- Tap on your TV in the pop-up menu and you’re good to go. To remind you, you change the subtitle settings via the smartphone or tablet.
Despite the accessibility quirks, HBO Max is still one of the most promising streaming services around. The following FAQ section covers useful subtitle customizations and some playback issues you might encounter.
Can I Change the Subtitle Language?
To get one thing straight, the availability of HBO Max subtitles depends on the original language of the content. So, Studio Ghibli movies will be in Japanese and the native titles are in English. The Latino content section on the platform follows the same logic – Spanish audio, English subtitles.
That said, certain subtitles are available in two or more languages. You should be able to choose the language input from the CC menu, and this also applies to the audio. The languages you can choose usually include Spanish, English, Portuguese, Japanese, etc.
Subtitles Keep Coming Back On. What Can I Do?
Persistent subtitles can be annoying, but there is a quick fix.
- First, determine if the CC button within the playback is enabled or not.
- Then, proceed to HBO Max Settings, select Accessibility, and enter the Subtitles & Captioning menu.
If the subtitles are disabled there as well, you’ll need to check the settings on your TV or streaming gadget. The idea is to turn the subtitles off everywhere you can so they won’t appear again. But you might also need to exit and reenter the streaming service for the changes to take effect.
Can Text Size Be Adjusted
There’s no option to increase just the text size within HBO Max, but there might be one on your streaming dongle and other devices. For example, the Accessibility menu on a Mac features a Captions customization menu and you can choose Large Text.
A similar feature is available on Windows 10 and it should affect all the subtitles played on that computer. If this doesn’t do the trick, there’s always an option to increase the font size on HBO Max.
Can the Font Size Be Changed?
You can choose between six settings from Tiny to Extra Large font size. You access this from the main Settings menu. When streaming via TV or a supported streaming gadget, the Closed Captioning appears in the upper section of the screen.
Use the arrow buttons on your remote to access Closed Captioning and press the OK button to confirm your selection.
My Subtitles Aren’t Syncing Properly. What Can I Do?
As long as you’re using the native subtitles, there’s no reason to worry about syncing. But if it happens, pause the playback, then play it again to see if the temporary break helps. You can also try to disable, then enable the subtitles to make them pick up the pace.
If this doesn’t do the trick, exit the HBO Max service, then restart your streaming device. When you’re using the web client, restart your browser and clear its cache, before playing the video again.
Max Out Your Subtitles
When all is said and done, you’re only ever a couple of taps or clicks away from enabling and disabling HBO Max subtitles. The service is still young, and you can expect further improvements to better your viewing experience.
Have you used any of the HBO streaming services before? How does your experience compare to HBO Max? Give us your two cents in the comments section below.