How to Play Spotify on Any Device
When deciding on your next streaming music platform, Spotify may be the first app that comes to mind. It provides effortless access to your favorite songs and albums and you can listen on various devices. But activating Spotify can be tricky in some cases.
Thankfully, this article will clearly explain how to play Spotify on whatever device you choose so that you face no struggles along the way.
How to Play Spotify
A large number of platforms support Spotify. As a result, connecting your Spotify account to each one and playing music will be done differently. Therefore, read through the entire article, and you’ll find out how to play Spotify on the most popular devices.
How to Play Spotify on iPhone
The simplest way to play Spotify on your iPhone is to use Siri:
- Make sure that your iPhone has the latest version of the Spotify app.
- Ask Siri to play music on Spotify. You could say: “Siri, play Rolling Stones on Spotify.”
- Siri will ask for confirmation to access Spotify data.
- Say “Yes,” and the music will start playing.
How to Play Spotify on Android
Here’s how to play Spotify on an Android device:
- Go to the Play Store and type in “Spotify” in the search box to find the app.
- Press “Install” and wait for the installation to complete.
- Open Spotify and enter your sign-in information.
Once you’re in, you have several options to play music:
- Press “Home” to access recommended content, such as radio stations and playlists. To play a recommended station or playlist, press its name, tap a song (Premium users only), or press “Shuffle Play.”
- Hit “Search” to start browsing for specific music. For instance, type in an artist and you can go to their name to access their profile. There, you can see the artist’s singles, songs, albums, and even videos (if you’re a Premium user.) If you want to see all the artist’s songs, scroll down and press “See Discography.”
- Tap a song and start listening.
How to Play Spotify on Windows and Mac
In case you haven’t previously downloaded the Spotify program on your Mac, this is what you need to do:
- Go to Spotify’s website
- Hit the “Download” button.
- Press “Allow” in the next pop-up screen to start the download.
- Unzip Spotify’s installer in the Downloads folder.
- Open the installation file and finish the process.
- Open Spotify and choose “Continue with Apple” on the login screen.
- Allow the program to access your email address. A pop-up will confirm that your Apple email address matches your Spotify account. If there isn’t a match, make sure the right information has been entered.
- Log in to Spotify and press “Connect Account.” Now you can start listening to music on Spotify.
Despite being a different platform, the process is fairly similar on Windows:
- Go to the Start Menu and select “Microsoft Store.”
- Type in “Spotify” in the search box and press “Enter.”
- Select “Spotify Music” and press the blue “Get” button to download it.
- Once the installation is over, open the app.
- Log into your account via your Spotify email, Facebook, or username and passcode.
- Once you’ve logged in, start playing Spotify on your Windows PC.
How to Play Spotify on Chromebook
You have two options to play Spotify on a Chromebook. The first one is to download the Android version of the app:
- Go to the Quick Settings Panel.
- Press the gear symbol to access the settings. Go to Google Play Store and choose “Turn on.”
- Download Spotify from the Play Store and install it.
The second option is to install the Spotify desktop app using Linux:
- Launch a Terminal from your Linux apps tab in the App Drawer.
- Add the repository signing keys to verify the download. Type in the following command: sudo apt-key adv –keyserver hkp://keyserver.ubuntu.com:80 –recv-keys 931FF8E79F0876134EDDBDCCA87FF9DF48BF1C90
- Insert the Spotify repository by entering this command: echo deb http://repository.spotify.com stable non-free | sudo tee /etc/apt/sources.list.d/spotify.list
- Update the available list of packages with this command: sudo apt-get update
- Install Spotify by entering the final command: sudo apt-get install spotify-client
- Once the installation is over, you’ll find Spotify in the Linux apps menu.
How to Play Spotify on Alexa
Playing Spotify on Alexa is a bit easier:
- Open the Alexa app.
- Enter the Settings and choose “Music.”
- Press “Link New Service” and select Spotify.
- Enter your Spotify login information.
- Choose “Default Services” to start using Spotify as the default music service.
- Start playing your favorite songs. For example, say, “Alexa, play Skyfall on Spotify.”
How to Play Spotify on Discord
Follow these steps to play Spotify on Discord:
- Download the Discord app on your desktop and launch it.
- Go to “Connections” on the left menu.
- Choose Spotify.
- This will open a webpage to connect to Spotify. If you’re not logged into Spotify, you’ll first have to sign up or log in.
- Choose “Confirm” and start using the app.
How to Play a Spotify Playlist on Discord
Here’s how playing a Spotify playlist on Discord works:
- Log into Discord.
- Go to “Settings,” followed by “Connections.” Click on the Spotify icon.
- You’ll see your username in the settings, and you can now choose to display your music as your status or on your profile.
- Once connected to your Discord and Spotify account, you can start listening to your playlists.
How to Play Spotify on Apple Watch
You’ll need to use your iPhone to enable Spotify on your Apple Watch. Here’s how:
- Launch Apple Watch on your phone.
- In the “My Watch” section and below the bar “Installed on Apple Watch,” see if you’ve already downloaded Spotify. If not, go to “Available Apps” and choose “Install” on Spotify.
- Go to the apps on your watch, find Spotify, and launch it. The program will also start automatically when playing Spotify on your iPhone.
How to Play Spotify on Sonos
You can use Sonos to play Spotify on your Android phone, as well as iPhone. This is how to do it:
- Open the app and go to “Settings.”
- Choose “Services” beside the mic and music note icon.
- Go to the bottom of the list and select “Add a Service” beside the plus sign.
- In the new pop-up bar, scroll down to Spotify. Tap the app.
- Choose “Add to Sonos” and sign in to your account. Also, allow the change on your Sonos account.
- Select “Connect to Spotify” to log in or “Sign up for Spotify” to set up a new one. After that, you’ll be able to see Spotify in search results for playlists, songs, artists, and on the services master list.
How to Play Spotify on Peloton
Here’s what you should do to access Spotify music on Peloton:
- On the Peloton Bike, access your profile and choose “Music” on the left. Here, you’ll see the list of saved songs.
- Press “Connect” in the upper-right corner of the screen to connect to your Spotify account.
- Type in your username and passcode and accept the terms.
- Launch Spotify and choose “Your Library” to see your playlists. There should be a new playlist called “My Peloton Music.” If not, refresh Spotify, and the playlist should appear.
How to Play a Spotify Playlist on Alexa
To play a Spotify Playlist on Alexa, you’ll need to connect it to your Spotify account:
- Open Alexa on your tablet or phone and go to “Settings.”
- Choose “Music and Media” to your right.
- On this screen, select “Link Account on Spotify.”
- Another screen will appear, reading, “Connect Alexa to Your Spotify Account.” Press the green button that reads “Log in to Spotify,” and type in your username and passcode. If you don’t have a Spotify account, set one up using Facebook or Gmail.
- Finally, a pop-up window will read, “Your Spotify account has been linked successfully.”
- You can now start listening to your playlists on Alexa.
How to Play Spotify Offline
Playing Spotify offline is a handy feature. Here’s how it works:
- Open Spotify and navigate to “Your Library.”
- Press the “Settings” symbol and choose “Playback.”
- Put Spotify in its offline mode by tapping the offline toggle. This will let you use Spotify in offline mode and listen to songs you’ve previously downloaded.
How to Play Spotify on Twitch
All you need to do to play Spotify on Twitch is launch it side by side with your stream. There are no special programs or software you need to install.
However, bear in mind that your channel could face DMCA issues since playing Spotify on Twitch streams is officially forbidden.
How to Play Spotify with Discord Bot
This is how you can listen to Spotify with a Discord Bot:
- Go to Groovy’s website and choose “Add to Discord.”
- Press “Select a Server.”
- From the menu, press the name of the server on which you wish to install the Spotify Discord bot.
- Press “Authorize” and check the robot verification captcha.
- The Discord Spotify bot will be added to your Discord Server, allowing you to play Spotify.
What Devices Can Play Spotify?
A large number of devices can play Spotify:
• Smart speakers
• Car audio
• Smart TVs
• App integrations
• Wireless speakers
• Gaming consoles
• Hi-fi and audio streamers
Can You Listen to Spotify for Free?
You can play Spotify for free, but the features you get are limited. For example, the free version lets you play the shuffle mode and use the Daily Mix playlists. However, Spotify Radio and other premium features aren’t accessible.
What Is the Best Way to Use Spotify?
You can improve your Spotify experience with many features. Here are just some of them:
• Creating playlists
• Using your library to access all the songs, radio stations, playlists, albums, and artists you’ve saved
• Using offline listening
• Turning the streaming quality up or down, depending on whether you want to save data or not
Spotify Can Be Music to Your Ears
If you had any doubts that you won’t be able to use Spotify on your go-to device, your uncertainty is hopefully resolved now. As you can see, Spotify is compatible with a host of platforms. So, see which one fits best and start using Spotify wherever you go.