How to Turn On Bluetooth
Many devicesutilize Bluetooth as the connection of choice when communicating with otherdevices. Bluetooth can be a great way to transfer data and files betweendevices quickly, but sometimes you can’t find out how to turn Bluetooth on.
We’ll show youhow to turn on Bluetooth on the most commonly used devices that support it.
How to Turn On Bluetooth on Windows 10
Windows 10 hasan easy way to use Bluetooth. Follow these steps:
- Select the Start button.
- Open Settings (the Cog icon in the Start menu).
- Go to Devices.
- In the “Bluetooth & other devices” tab, you will find the Bluetooth power switch. Please turn it on or off as desired.
Note that yourdevice needs a working Bluetooth adapter for this setting to show up. Laptopsusually have one by default.
How to Turn On Bluetooth on Mac
On a Macdevice, turning on Bluetooth is just as simple. Follow these steps:
- On the Mac, click the Bluetooth icon on the Menu bar.
- Choose the turn the Bluetooth on or off.
If your Macdoesn’t have a menu icon for Bluetooth, you can locate one:
- Choose Apple Menu.
- Select Preferences.
- Click Bluetooth.
- Select “Show Bluetooth in menu bar.”
If your deviceuses an external Bluetooth adapter, the icon won’t show up on the menu. To turnBluetooth off while using an external device, unplug it.
How to Turn On Bluetooth on Chromebook
To turn onBluetooth on a Chromebook, follow these steps:
- At the bottom right, select Time.
- Locate the Bluetooth icon.
- If it is off, select On.
If you do not see a Bluetooth icon when selecting Time, your Chromebook does not work with Bluetooth. You will need to find another way to connect your device to a Chromebook or obtain an external Bluetooth adapter to do the trick.
How to Turn On Bluetooth on an iPhone
To Turn onBluetooth on your iPhone, follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on Bluetooth.
- Tap the switch on Bluetooth to turn it on. If it’s green, your Bluetooth is on.
- Swipe up from the top-right of your screen to open the Control center (users of older model iPhones will need to swipe up from the bottom).
- Tap on the Bluetooth icon.
In this screenshot, we recognize that the Bluetooth is on because it is blue. If it was off, the icon would be grey.
Once yourBluetooth is on, you can look at the Bluetooth menu in your Settings to pairwith the device you want.
How to Turn On Bluetooth on an Android device
Turning on Bluetoothon Android is similar to using an iPhone. Follow these steps:
- Open the Settings app.
- Tap on Bluetooth.
- Tap the Bluetooth slider on the menu. If it’s blue or green, your Bluetooth is on.
- Once you’re in this menu, you can look for devices to pair with your Android.
- Swipe down from the top of your screen.
- If you don’t see the Bluetooth icon in the control menu, swipe down again.
- Tap the Bluetooth icon.
- Pressing the small triangle next to Bluetooth will forward you to the devices menu such that you can pair up easily.
How to Turn On Bluetooth on Samsung TV
Some newer TVmodels, especially Samsung TVs, come with Bluetooth capabilities. To check ifyour TV has Bluetooth support, follow these steps:
- If your TV has a Smart Remote, there’s nothing you need to do. Your TV has Bluetooth.
- Open the TV Menu. You can do this by pressing the Home button on your remote.
- Go to Sound.
- Go to Sound Output.
- If the list contains an item such as “Bluetooth Speakers” or “Bluetooth Audio,” your TV supports Bluetooth.
- You will need to go back to Sound on slightly older TVs, then go to Additional Settings or Expert Settings.
If you want topair a keyboard, speakers, or a mouse to your Samsung TV, the process isslightly different:
- Navigate to the Source menuon your remote.
- Select “Connection Guide.”
- From there, selectBluetooth.
- Your TV should bring upinstructions to pair your device.
Once you’veconnected your Speakers to your TV, you need to go back to the Sound menu andselect the paired speakers as your primary device. For input devices such askeyboards or mice, the pairing is automatic from the list of devices.
How to Turn On Bluetooth on Windows 7
To find andenable Bluetooth on Windows 7, follow these steps:
- Open the Start menu.
- In the search bar, type in “Bluetooth.”
- Open the Bluetooth settings that show up as a result of the search.
- In the Options tab, locate the Discovery menu.
- Check the option named “Allow Bluetooth devices to find this computer.”
- Select Apply, then click Ok.
Additionally,you can check the Connections settings on the same tab to allow devices toconnect and inform you when something wants to access your computer viaBluetooth. You will need to Apply these settings as well.
The Bluetoothicon will appear on your taskbar or in your taskbar’s hidden items menu (lookfor the arrow). From there, you can access the Bluetooth settings menu to turnBluetooth off.
Turning On Bluetooth on Your Laptop
With laptops thathave Bluetooth built-in, you can access Bluetooth directly through yourkeyboard. Look for the Bluetooth icon on your keyboard and press the button orbutton combination corresponding to it to turn on your Bluetooth. Usually, thisbutton is in the row of F keys above the keyboard, and you may need to pressthe Fn button first. However, this can differ based on your laptopconfiguration and settings, so make sure you look properly.
If your laptopis not on a charger, you may want to turn off Bluetooth to preserve batterylife.
Pairing with Other Devices
Once you’re inthe Bluetooth menu of your device, you can change the name of your device forBluetooth connection purposes. Changing the Bluetooth name to something simplewill help you find it when trying to connect to other devices.
Pairing twodevices via Bluetooth is simple. Enable Bluetooth on both devices (for someinput devices that’s enabled by default or with a switch), then find onedevice’s name on the other’s Bluetooth device menu. Once you’ve selected thedevice that you want to pair with, the rest of the process is automatic.
What to Do If I Don’t Have Bluetooth?
If yourBluetooth is on but doesn’t work, try restarting your device. Usually, thatwill fix any temporary problems.
If your deviceisn’t discoverable, make sure you read the manual that came with it properly.For a PC, consult the Bluetooth menu. For a cellphone, make sure Bluetooth ison.
If you’rehaving trouble connecting your device, make sure that you change its pairingname to something easily recognizable.
However, if yourdevice doesn’t support Bluetooth, there’s only one option left. You have to buyan external Bluetooth adapter. Luckily, there are many options to choose from.
For acomputer, they will usually be in the form of a USB stick that you can pluginto your PC to enable Bluetooth connectivity. For a TV, you can use either aUSB adapter or one that connects via a cable or cables suitable for your TV.
You can evenget a Bluetooth adapter in your car! Bluetooth allows you to stream music fromyour phone while utilizing the powerful speakers of your vehicle. Or you canmake phone calls while driving, which, although generally not recommended, isat least a safer method than holding the phone itself.
If you’reusing an external adapter, Bluetooth should usually be on by default as long asthe adapter is plugged in, but you can access the settings mentioned above tomake sure.
There you haveit. You have now learned to enable Bluetooth on all of your favorite devices.Using Bluetooth will save you a lot of trouble with cable management, and it’sjust going to look cleaner. Just make sure that your device is Bluetooth-enabledor purchase an adapter of your choice to bridge that problem.
Have you hadany problems using Bluetooth? What Bluetooth devices do you use with your PC orMac? Let us know in the comment section below.