How to View Instagram Location Filters
As part of its ongoing odyssey to compete with Snapchat, Instagram introduced geotag filters to overlay photos and videos. These filters are easily accessible after you take a picture using the app. Your physical location determines the filters you can choose. You can also create your own using Facebook location services.
Of course, you can’t geotag stickers for photos that you pull off of your camera roll. However, you can still tag those photos with the location you were in/near when you took the picture on your phone, provided you had location services activated at the time.
Here is a quick guide to how you can let your friends and followers know where you were when you snagged that fantastic shot or took that quirky video.
Adding Locations to Existing Photos
Let’s start with tagging photos that are already in your camera roll. Follow these steps to let your friends know where you were when you took the pictures.
- Tap the “+” icon to add a new photo.
- Select “Library.”
- Edit and add photos.
- Click on “Next.”
- Choose a “location tag” under “Add Location.”
The locations listed here pertain to your GPS location when you took the photo with your phone. If the image came from some other source, then there may not be any location options.
Adding Instagram Geotag Stickers to New Photos
If you want something flashier, then take a live photo and add a geotag sticker to it. Follow these steps to find your geotag sticker options.
- Swipe right to start a Story or take a photo.
- Snap the photo.
- Tap the sticker icon in the top right.
- Tap “Location” to add a location sticker.
- If you continue to tap the location sticker you’ve added, then you can change the font or color. In some cases, you may see unique location stickers on the regular sticker menu.
Creating Your Own Instagram Geotag
Can’t find the location name that you want? No problem. You can create a custom location sticker for your event, business, or other need using Facebook.
- Turn on location services on Instagram by going to “Settings” on your phone.
- Tap “Privacy.”
- Choose “Location Services.”
- Tap “Facebook.”
- Allow location access for Facebook according to your phone’s options.
- Create check-in status on your Facebook (not Instagram) account by scrolling to the top of your news feed.
- Tap in the box that reads “What’s on your mind?”
- Scroll down and tap “Check In.”
- Type the name of the location you want to add. Capitalize the first letter, and don’t use any emojis or symbols.
- Scroll down and select “+” to add your location.
- Choose the category that best describes the location.
- Select “I’m currently here.”
Now, you can open your Instagram app and create a new post. Add a location sticker as described above. You should see your new location there. You may have to search for it if you don’t see it right way. Remember that you’re not the only one. Anyone else in your vicinity who is looking to add a location can add yours.