How to View Your YouTube Comment History
If you’re a prolific YouTube user, you might want to take an inventory of the comments you’ve posted over time. Perhaps you want to delete some and edit others. This article isn’t about comments posted to your channel by others but comments that you posted throughout YouTube. So, how can you do this?
To learn how to view your YouTube comment history and get tips on editing or deleting specific comments, keep reading.
Why Would You Want to View Your Past YouTube Comments?
If you consume a lot of YouTube content, you’ve likely posted hundreds or even thousands of comments on various channels. You might want to:
- Delete comments that you think are no longer relevant in light of recent developments.
- Delete comments that you deem offensive, rude, or disrespectful toward other users.
- Edit typos on comments that you posted.
- Edit a comment to include new, more relevant information.
- Retrieve a comment so that you can share it with others outside of YouTube.
In any case, it’s easy to find your comments and edit or delete them as you see fit. Again, this article is referring to your own posted messages.
How to View/Edit/Delete YouTube Comment History in a Browser (Windows, Linux, macOS)
To manage your comments on YouTube using a PC, the operating system used does not matter. Since you make changes via any browser, the process is the same, whether you use Windows, macOS, Linux, or any other OS. Follow these steps to amend comments on YouTube:
- Open your chosen browser, head to YouTube, then sign in to your Google/YouTube account if not already lofgged in.
- On the YouTube homepage, click on the “hamburger icon” (three horizontal, parallel lines) in the top-left corner. A dropdown menu appears, including the trending videos of the day, your subscriptions, and your settings.
- From the dropdown menu, select “History.”
- On the right side under the “MANAGE ALL HISTORY” section, Click on “Comments.” Do not click “Manage All History” or your Google Activity page opens instead with no comments on this page.
- All comments get displayed in chronological order. Your most recent comments appear first. To delete a comment, click on the “X” in the far-right section of the listing.
- To edit a comment, the first step is to click on the “Commented on…” link.
- The specified link in “Step 6” above opens the video’s page with your comments at the top, labeled as “Highlighted comment.”
- To edit your comment, click on the “vertical ellipsis” (three vertical dots) on the far-right side of the listed video page.
- Select “Edit” to make changes to your comment.
- Make the necessary edits and choose “Save.”
How to View/Edit/Delete Your YouTube Comment History on iOS
If you own an iPhone, iPad, or iPod, you can easily track and manage your YouTube comments using a browser or the iOS/iPhone YouTube app.
Managing YouTube Comments using iOS App
Here is how you can delete all of your YouTube comments in one place on iOS:
- Visit the Google My Activity page for YoutTube comments, then sign in if applicable.
- If you get a prompt to open the page in YouTube, select “Cancel” to open your history in Google My Actrivity instead of YouTube.
- Tap on the video with the comment you’d like to remove.
- Tap on the “vertical ellipsis” (three vertical dots) in the upper right-hand corner. Then, choose “Delete.”
Managing YouTube Comments using the iOS App
- Launch the “iOS YouTube app” and enter your Google/YouTube account credentials to sign in, if not logged in already. Tap on your “profile icon” in the top-right section.
- Choose “Your data in YouTube” from the list.
- Scroll upward until you find the “Your YouTube dashboard” section, then tap on “More” for additional data choices.
- Select the “## comments” link found just below the “## subscriptions (public)” link.
- Your Google “My Activity” menu loads on its “Your YouTube Comments” page.
- Scroll upward until you find the comment you want to delete. Tap on the “Commented on…” link or the “video thumbnail” to open the video’s page.
- Tap on the “up/down arrowheads icon” (expander) to open the comments section.
- Your comment should appear at the top, but if not, scroll up until you find it. Tap on the “vertical ellipsis” (three vertical dots) to access your options.
- Select “Delete.” There is NO CONFIRMATION prompt when deleting comments. Once deleted, it is gone forever.
If you can’t find a comment in your history, the channel owner may have already removed it, or you just forgot that you deleted it. YouTube automation techniques and admins can also delete comments if they violate the site’s policies. If the channel owner deletes a video, all discussions posted under it will also disappear.
View/Edit/Delete Your YouTube Comment History on Android
In the past, you had to use a browser to access your YouTube comment history, but now, you can view and manage your comments within the YouTube app! Sure, YouTube launches a built-in Chrome browser during the process, but you are still using the app.
- Open the “YouTube” app on your Android device, then sign in if not already done.
- Click on your “profile” icon in the top-right section of the screen.
- Select “Settings.”
- Choose “History & privacy.”
- In the expanded list, select “Manage all activity.”
- Tap on the “hamburger menu icon” (three horizontal lines) in the top-left section.
- Choose “Other Google activity.”
- Scroll down the page until you get to the “Comments on YouTube” section. Tap on “View Comments.”
- In the newly opened “Your YouTube Comments” page, scroll through your comments to find the one you want.
- To delete a comment, tap on the “three vertical dots” in the upper right-hand corner. Then, tap on “Delete.” To edit a comment, continue to “Step 11.”
- To edit a comment, tap the “Commented on” link to open the video’s comments page.
- Your comment appears at the top under the heading “Highlighted comment.” Tap the “vertical ellipsis” (three vertical dots) to open the options.
- Then choose “Edit.” Type the corrections or adjustments, then press “Enter/Return” on your Android virtual keyboard to save the changes.
As you can see by the above procedures, this process is tedious, but it gets the job done! You can now edit or delete old YouTube comments on Android.
In closing, YouTube developers have ensured that you can dig through years of comments in a matter of seconds. This feature is called “History,” where you can choose to view your past comments along with viewed videos. That way, you can follow through on past discussions or edit your comments as you like. And now, you CAN view and manage your comments using the YouTube app.
View/Delete/Edit YouTube Comments FAQs
Can I bulk delete my YouTube comments?
Sadly, YouTube does not provide an option to delete comments in bulk. If you want to wipe your entire comment history clean, you will have to do so one at a time.
Can I turn off comments on YouTube?
You can turn off comments if you have your own YouTube channel. Otherwise, there is no option.
How do I search My YouTube history?
When you get to the “History” section of your YouTube account, use the search box at the top to find the watched video you’re looking for, or use it to find viewed videos related to a particular topic.
Can I delete my YouTube comments on the YouTube app?
Unfortunately, you cannot delete your comments on the YouTube app. You have to sign in to your account via a browser, such as Google Chrome or Firefox.