How to View Your YouTube Comment History
If you’re a prolific YouTube user, you might want to take an inventory of the comments you’ve posted over time. Perhaps you want to delete some and edit others. This article isn’t about comments posted to your channel by others but comments that you posted throughout YouTube. So, how can you do this?
To show you how to view your YouTube comment history and give you tips on editing or deleting specific comments, keep reading.
Why Would You Want to View Your Past YouTube Comments?
If you consume a lot of YouTube content, you’ve likely posted hundreds or even thousands of comments on various channels. You might want to:
- Delete comments that you think are no longer relevant in light of recent developments.
- Delete comments that you deem offensive, rude, or disrespectful toward other users.
- Edit typos on comments that you wrote down in a hurry or on a phone.
- Edit a comment to include new, more relevant information.
- Retrieve a comment so that you can share it with others outside of YouTube.
In any of these cases, it’s easy to find your comments and edit or delete them as you see fit.
View/Edit/Delete YouTube Comment History in a Browser on PC (Windows, Linux, macOS)
- Open your chosen browser, head to YouTube, then sign in to your Google/YouTube account by entering your login credentials.
- On the YouTube homepage, click on the “hamburger icon” (three horizontal, parallel lines) in the top-left corner. A dropdown menu appears, including the trending videos of the day, your subscriptions, and your settings.
- From the dropdown menu, select “History.”
- On the right side of your browser page and under the “MANAGE ALL HISTORY” section, Click on “Comments.”
- All comments get displayed in chronological order. Your most recent comments appear first. To delete a comment, click on the “X” in the far right section of the listing.
- To edit a comment, the first step is to click on the “Commented on…” link.
- The specified link in “Step 6” above opens the video’s page with your comments at the top, labeled as “Highlighted comment.”
- To edit your comment, click on the “vertical ellipsis” (three vertical dots) on the far right side of the listed video page.
- Select “Edit” to make changes to your comment.
- Make the neccessary edits and select “Save.”
View/Edit/Delete Your YouTube Comment History on iOS
If you own an iPhone, iPad, or iPod, you can easily track and manage your YouTube comments using a browser. The iOS YouTube app does not offer a comments management feature. Here’s how to do it.
- Visit YouTube and enter your Google credentials to sign in, if not logged in already.
- On the top left corner, click on the “hamburger icon” (three horizontal lines) to launch the YouTube options menu.
- From the options menu, select “History.”
- In the “MANAGE ALL HISTORY” section, select “Comments.” You’ll see a list of all the comments you’ve posted, starting with the most recent one. For older comments, scroll down the list. Click on a comment to open the video associated with it.
- To delete a comment, click on the “vertical ellipsis” (three vertical dots) on the right-hand side of the commented video, and then tap “Delete.”
- To edit a comment, click on the “Commented on…” link, not the video image. This link loads the page with your comment on top, labeled as “Highlighted comment.”
If you can’t find a comment in your history, the channel owner may have already removed it, or you just forgot that you deleted it. YouTube admins can also delete comments if they violate the site’s policies. If the channel owner deletes a video, all discussions posted under it will also disappear.
View/Edit/Delete Your YouTube Comment History on Android
Like on the iPhone, you cannot view or manage your posted comments in the Android YouTube app. This process only works from a browser. If you’re a YouTube enthusiast, there are discussions you’ll want to revisit for inspiration or to change your comment based on various other reasons. Here’s how to do it in Android:
- Use your browser to sign into your Google account, assuming you are not logged in.
- Click on the “hamburger icon” (three parallel lines) in the top-left corner.
- From the dropdown menu, select “History.”
- Click on “Comments” in the bottom-right corner of your screen. You should see a list of all the comments you’ve posted, arranged in chronological order.
- To delete a comment, tap on the “X” next to the listed video in your comments list. You can also delete the comment within the edit steps below (“Steps 6 and 7”).
- To edit a comment, click on the “Commented on…” link, which opens the video’s page with your comment at the top, found as a “Highlighted comment.” Clicking on the video link makes you have to search for your comment.
- On the video’s page, tap the “vertical ellipsis” (three vertical dots) on the right side, next to your comment. Choose “Edit” from the options.
- Make the needed changes to your comment, then tap “Save.”
In closing, YouTube developers have ensured that you can dig through years of comments in a matter of seconds. This feature is called “History,” where you can choose to view your past comments along with viewed videos. That way, you can follow through on past discussions or edit your comments as you like. The only drawback is that you cannot manage—or even view a list of—your comments using the YouTube app. Perhaps that option will arrive in the future.
View/Delete/Edit YouTube Comments FAQs
Can I bulk delete my YouTube comments?
Sadly, YouTube does not provide an option to delete comments in bulk. If you want to wipe your entire comment history clean, you will have to do so one at a time.
Can I turn off comments on YouTube?
You can turn off comments if you have your own YouTube channel. Otherwise, there is no option.
How do I search My YouTube history?
When you get to the “History” section of your YouTube account, use the search box at the top to find the watched video you’re looking for, or use it to find viewed videos related to a particular topic.
Can I delete my YouTube comments on the YouTube app?
Unfortunately, you cannot delete your comments on the YouTube app. You have to sign in to your account via a browser, such as Google Chrome or Firefox.