How To Fix Instagram Stories that Keep Freezing
Are you trying to view someone’s Instagram Story, but it keeps freezing? Not being able to load the story or having a video story stop after a second or two can be frustrating. Fortunately, there are numerous solutions to this problem.
If you’re interested in learning why Instagram Stories keep freezing and what you can do to fix this issue, look no further. This article will explain what you need to know about this problem and offer potential solutions.
Why Do Instagram Stories Keep Freezing?
If you can’t view Instagram Stories, one of these things has likely caused the issue.
- Weak connection
- The app isn’t updated
- Temporary glitches
- Instagram is down
- The system isn’t updated
- Cache isn’t cleared
There are several actions you can take to prevent Instagram Stories from freezing.
Check the Network
One of the most common causes of issues with Instagram Story loading is a poor network connection. This could be due to a weak Wi-Fi signal, device issues, or areas with poor service. Here’s what you can do to get to the bottom of the problem and fix it.
Check Whether Instagram Is the Only App With Issues
If you suspect network problems, the first thing you should do is check whether the issue is related to Instagram only. Follow the instructions below.
- Close the Instagram app and open another one. This can be YouTube, Facebook, WhatsApp, or any other app.
- Try sending a message or playing a video, depending on the app you choose. If there are no issues, you don’t have network issues. On the other hand, if the content isn’t loading, the internet connection is probably too weak.
Run a Speed Test
If you want precise information regarding the speed of your internet connection, you should run a speed test. This will give you accurate results and inform you if the connection is intermittent. We recommend using Speedtest by Ookla. Here’s what you need to do.
- Open your browser and visit Speedtest by Ookla.
- Press “Go.” Wait until you see the results.
If you see a connection issue, try switching from cellular data to Wi-Fi, or vice versa. You can also restart your phone because this will force it to reconnect to the internet.
Reset Network Settings
If you have ongoing connection issues and can’t seem to resolve them, you can try resetting network settings. The steps vary depending on your operating system.
If you have an Android device, here’s what you need to do.
- Open your menu and go to Settings.
- Tap “System.”
- Scroll down and press “Reset options.”
- Tap “Reset Wi-fi, mobile & Bluetooth.”
- Tap “Reset settings.” Your device will now restart, and the connection issue should be fixed.
iPhone users should follow these instructions if they want to reset their network settings.
- Open your menu and launch Settings.
- Tap “General.”
- Scroll down and select “Transfer or Reset iPhone.”
- Tap “Reset.”
- Choose “Reset Network Settings.” After you enter your code, the device will restart.
Restart Your Router
Your Wi-Fi router may be suffering from a temporary glitch, which is why you aren’t able to load Instagram Stories. You can try to fix it by restarting it.
- Unplug the router from the power outlet.
- Wait at least 15 seconds and plug it back in.
- Wait until all the lights become green and test the internet connection.
Restart the App
If there’s nothing wrong with your internet connection, the problem may be in the app. The first step is restarting it. Keep in mind that this doesn’t mean simply switching to another app because, in such cases, the Instagram app will keep running in the background. You can use the multitask option and swipe up to close the app. If you have an Android device, you can force close the app by following these instructions.
- Launch your menu and go to Settings.
- Tap “App management.”
- Then choose “App settings.”
- Find Instagram and choose “Force stop.”
Now open the Instagram app again and check whether the Instagram Stories issue has been fixed.
Restart Your Device
Although your phone probably isn’t the main culprit for not being able to load Instagram Stories, it can’t hurt to try and restart it. Random issues and temporary glitches could result in numerous malfunctions such as this one.
Check the Date and Time
This may seem unusual, but if the date and time don’t match your time zone, you could be experiencing numerous issues with Instagram and other apps. Usually, the date and time update automatically, so not many people worry about it. But if you’ve accidentally turned off automatic updates or your phone has experienced a temporary glitch, the settings could be wrong.
Here’s how Android users can check and adjust the date and time on their devices.
- Launch Settings and select “General management.” If you don’t see this option, type “Date & Time” in the search bar.
- Switch the toggle button next to “Automatic date and time.”
If you have an iPhone, here’s how to check and adjust the date and time.
- Open Settings.
- Go to “General.”
- Select “Date & Time” and set to “Automatic.”
Clear Internal Storage
If your internal storage is full, the Instagram app may not have enough space to operate smoothly, causing numerous malfunctions. Try deleting some files or moving them to the memory card to allow the Instagram app to work properly.
Clear the Cache
Another thing you can try to resolve the issue with your Instagram Stories is clear the cache. Keep in mind that this option isn’t available on iPhones, which have the “Offload App” function. Just like “Clear cache,” this function removes unnecessary data from the app and may fix the problem.
If you have an Android phone, here’s what you need to do to clear Instagram’s cache.
- Open your menu and access Settings.
- Choose “App management.”
- Tap “App settings.”
- Find and select Instagram.
- Tap “Storage.”
- Select “Clear cache.”
Those who have an iPhone should follow the steps below to use the “Offload App” option.
- Access your menu and go to Settings.
- Press “General.”
- Select “iPhone Storage.”
- Find Instagram and tap “Offload App.”
Update the App
An outdated version of the app can cause numerous issues, including not being able to load Instagram Stories. You can quickly fix this by updating the app.
If you have an Android device, here’s how to update the Instagram app.
- Launch Google Play on your device.
- Type “Instagram” in the search bar and press it.
- Select “Update.”
iPhone users should follow the steps below if they want to update the Instagram app.
- Open the App Store.
- Search “Instagram.”
- Press “Update.”
If you don’t see the “Update” option, you’re already using the app’s latest version.
Reinstall the App
If updating the app didn’t help, you can try reinstalling it.
Here’s what Android users need to do.
- Open Settings.
- Go to “Apps.”
- Tap “Instagram” and choose “Uninstall.”
- Launch Google Play and search “Instagram.”
- Select “Install.”
If you have an iPhone, follow the instructions below to reinstall the Instagram app.
- Launch Settings.
- Select “General.”
- Choose “iPhone Storage.”
- Press “Instagram” and tap “Delete App.”
- Open the App Store and enter “Instagram” in the search bar.
- Install the app.
Use Instagram’s “Help” Option
If you’ve tried everything discussed above and your Instagram Stories still keep freezing, you can use the app’s “Help” option to report the problem. Here’s how to do it.
- Open the Instagram app.
- Select your profile picture in the bottom-right corner.
- Tap the three lines at the top-right.
- Choose “Settings.”
- Select “Help.”
- Tap “Report a Problem.” You’ll see three options. Choose “Report a problem” again.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to fill out the report. Once you do, Instagram will send you an email containing additional steps you can follow to resolve the issue.
Wait It Out
In rare cases, Instagram can suffer from a server-wide glitch that causes issues with Instagram Stories. Although you can fill out a report about it, the only thing left is to wait it out and use Downdetector to keep track of the issues regarding Instagram.
Enjoy the Stories
Instagram is one of the most popular social media platforms, with plenty of interesting options. Since Instagram Story is probably the most commonly used feature, not being able to view them can be annoying. Fortunately, the problem can usually be fixed in only a few minutes.
Have you ever had a problem with Instagram Stories? How did you manage to fix it? Tell us in the comments section below.