How to Install Android Apps on a Windows 11 PC
Many Microsoft users have eagerly waited for the launch of Windows 11 due to the announced native support of Android apps. This feature allows you to download and use Android apps directly without resorting to third-party emulators.
If you want to learn how to use this exciting feature, you’ve come to the right place. Keep reading to find out how to install Android apps in Windows 11.
Ensure Your Computer Meets the System Requirements
The Amazon Appstore is what makes downloading Android apps to your PC possible. Before learning how to use it, you should check if your PC meets the necessary system requirements to download this Android marketplace.
Note that these requirements are slightly different from Windows 11’s system requirements. Therefore, if you can run this operating system, it doesn’t necessarily mean you can also run Android apps.
Your computer should have the following specifications to download the Amazon Appstore:
- RAM: The minimum requirement is 8GB of RAM, but it’s recommended to have at least 16GB.
- Processor: Depending on the manufacturer, your CPU must be either an 8th Generation Intel Core i3 processor or above or AMD Ryzen series or higher. If you’re using Qualcomm, your CPU should be Snapdragon 8c or above.
- Storage type: Internal SSD must be installed on your PC.
- System type: You must have an x64 or ARM64-based PC.
If your PC doesn’t meet these minimum system requirements, you’re out of luck. You won’t be able to use the Amazon Appstore without a more serious hardware upgrade.
Running Android apps on your PC requires meeting a few more conditions. However, if your PC doesn’t currently meet them, you can easily change this by tweaking some settings.
These requirements entail:
- Using Windows 11 22000.0 or a higher version.
- Enabling Virtual Machine Platform.
- Being located in the U.S.
How to Check System Requirements
The Microsoft Store makes it easy to check if your system specifications are adequate for downloading the Amazon Appstore. Here’s what to do:
- Find the Amazon Appstore on the Store app.
- Look for the “System Requirements” section.
- Check if there’s a green checkmark indicating your system meets the requirements.
- If there’s no green checkmark, click “Show more.”
- Read the list of requirements and note where your system falls short.
Unfortunately, if you’re missing some key system requirements, the Amazon Appstore might not even pop up on the Microsoft Store. If this is the case, consider checking your system specifications manually.
Follow these steps to check the “Installed RAM,” “Processor,” and “System Type” requirements:
- Click the “Start” button.
- Select “Settings.”
- Go to “System.”
- Scroll down to the “About” section.”
- Check the corresponding tabs under “Device Specifications.”
While you’re in the “About” section, go to the “Windows specifications” to check the OS Build. If you see “22000.0” or higher, your PC is good to go. If not, you’ll find out how to update your system later in this article.
To check the “Storage Type” requirement, do the following:
- Click “Storage” once you’re in the “System” window of the “Settings.”
- Tap “Advanced storage settings.”
- Select “Disk and volumes.”
- Check if it says “SSD” under “Volume.”
Now that you’ve compared your specifications to the list of requirements, you can conclude why the Appstore isn’t showing up. What’s more, you can take steps to make necessary changes.
How to Update Windows 11
A higher version of the OS build might be the easiest issue to resolve. All you need to do is update your system. Here’s how to do it:
- Open “Settings.”
- Go to the “Windows Update” tab.
- Tap the “Check for updates” button.
- When the available update appears, click the “Download & Install” button under it.
How to Enable Virtual Machine Platform
The Virtual Machine Platform is a feature that allows your PC to emulate different operating systems. Luckily, all Windows 11 machines have this feature enabled by default.
However, if you’ve upgraded your system to Windows 11, it might be best to check if this feature is enabled.
- Type “
Control panel” in the search bar and press the icon that appears.
- Tap the “Programs and Features” icon.
- Click on the “Turn Windows features on or off” option.
- Find the “Virtual Machine Platform” in the pop-up window.
- Check the box next to it if it isn’t already.
- Hit “OK.”
How to Change the Country Settings
The Amazon Appstore will only work if your PC is located in the United States. If you don’t live in the United States, you don’t have to move just yet. You can simply change your country’s settings.
- Go to “Settings.”
- Tap the “Time & Language” icon.
- Choose “Language & Region.”
- Click on the “Country or region” under the “Region” tab.
- Select “United States” from the dropdown menu.
If you still get an error message when trying to use the store, consider using a VPN.
How to Install Android Apps Using the Amazon Store
After making sure all your system requirements are in order, it’s time to move on to installing the apps. This process is pretty straightforward and won’t take much of your time.
Unfortunately, you can’t download any app you can think of just yet. There is currently a limited number of available Android apps. Also, these apps aren’t available through Google Play but the Amazon Appstore.
How to Download the Amazon Appstore
The Amazon Appstore is the cornerstone of the native support of Android apps on Windows 11. So, the first step is to download it to your PC:
- Open the Microsoft Store.
- Enter “Amazon Appstore” in the search bar.
- Tap the app once it appears.
- Click “Install.”
- Press “Download” in the pop-up window.
- Confirm the changes on your computer if prompted.
Once the “Subsystem for Android from Microsoft” installation has been completed, click “Open Amazon Appstore” to start using the store.
The first thing you’ll see is a login window. If you’re already an Amazon customer, sign in using your information. If not, tap the “Create a new Amazon account” button and follow the on-screen instructions.
Now it’s finally time to start downloading your favorite apps. Although limited at the moment, the number of available apps is expected to grow continuously.
How to Install an App
The Amazon Appstore functions in the same way as Google Play. Browse the library or search for a specific app you have in mind. Once you find the app that interests you, do the following:
- Click on the app.
- Tap “Get” on the app page.
The app will be automatically installed on your PC. Press “Open” to launch the app.
Windows 11 treats these Android apps as it would treat regular Windows apps. You can find them in your list of apps and pin them to the Start menu. These apps can be launched directly without opening the Amazon Appstore again.
Once opened, most apps will appear in portrait mode, as they would on an Android phone. However, some apps will appear like any other Windows desktop app, so you can adjust the window size or make the app full screen.
Straight to the Point
Windows 11 has allowed users to enjoy Android apps on their computers without looking for complicated workarounds. The Amazon Appstore is reasonably easy to set up, so your favorite apps are just a few clicks away. Once you download the necessary apps, you can seamlessly switch from your phone or tablet to your desktop PC or laptop.
Have you tried installing Android apps on your PC? Which app did you download first? Let us know in the comments section below.