How to Install Discord on PS4
The Discord app has become so popular among gamers that it barely needs any introduction. With millions of users all across the globe, Discord stands as one of the best platforms for audio, video, image, and text communication between users.
It’s well-known that Discord can be installed on PC and various other platforms. But can it be used on PS4 consoles as well? This article will help you set up your PlayStation 4 so that you can talk with your friends on Discord while playing your favorite games on this console.
Using Discord on PlayStation 4
Unfortunately, the Discord app currently doesn’t support the PlayStation 4 console. But from the looks of it, things could change sooner rather than later.
Discordians all around the world have been sending requests and opening dozens of topics on Discord’s official Support page, asking for developers to make the PS4 version of the app. Since Discord pays close attention to the community’s requests and complaints, we could get the official Discord app for PlayStation 4 and many other consoles.
Does that mean that you need to wait for the app to be released in order to use Discord on PS4? Absolutely not.
There’s still a way to use Discord on your PlayStation 4, provided that you have all the necessary equipment. This could take longer to set up, but it will be worth it.
So, if you want to follow along with the tutorial below, you need to purchase a headset that has an optical cable and supports USB connection. You will also need MixAmp or similar device to switch audio between your PC and PS4. For example, you can use the A40 TR headset with the MixAmp PRO TR; they are proven to be a good combination for this type of setups.
Besides the two items and the cables that go with them (3.5mm Male to Male, 3.5mm Aux Splitter, 3.5mm to 3.5mm with Volume), you’ll need to install Discord on your PC.
Connecting Mixamp to PS4
Once you’ve acquired all the necessary items, it’s time to set everything up. Let’s start by connecting your PS4 console with your MixAmp. Here’s everything you need to do:
- For starters, go ahead and power on your PlayStation 4 console. Connect one side of the optical cable to your PlayStation 4, and the other to the back of your MixAmp.
- You should make sure that your MixAmp is set to Console mode. If you’ve connected everything successfully, your headset will be assigned as a USB device. You will see a message on the screen notifying you about this.
Setting up Mixamp and PS4
Once done connecting the two devices, navigate to your PlayStation 4’s Settings and follow these steps:
- Go to settings, scroll down and select the “Sound and Screen” option.
- Select “Audio Output Settings.”
- Select the “Primary Output Port” and change it to “Optical.” It’s advised to choose the “Dolby 5.1” channel.
- Back at the “Audio Output Settings” menu, Select “Audio Format” and Choose “Bitstream (Dolby).”
- Go back to the initial “Settings” screen and select “Devices.” Open Audio Devices. Make sure that the “Output to Headphones” is set to “Chat Audio.”
Setting Up on Your PC
Now, it’s time to connect everything to your PC. Power on your computer and follow these steps:
- Plug one side of your USB cable into your MixAmp, and the other into your PC. Make sure that your MixAmp is now in PC Mode.
- Open the Discord app on your computer. Navigate to Settings.
- Select the “Voice & Video” option.
- In the Input Device section, select the headset that you’re using. Leave the Output Device set to Default.
- Click Done to finish. You should now be able to freely talk through Discord and use your PlayStation 4 audio at the same time!
What to do if it Still Doesn’t Work
It won’t be possible for you to hear any other audio playing on your computer. This is because your PlayStation 4 is taking the primary audio source on your MixAmp. Luckily, there’s an easy fix to this issue.
All you need to do is plug your 3.5 to 3.5mm cable into the Speaker port on your PC and into the AUX port on your MixAmp. Change the Output Device from step number 7 to Speakers, and voila – problem solved.
Can I use the web browser from my PS4 to log into Discord?
Logging into Discord from PlayStation’s default browser shouldn’t be an issue but once you open a game or another app you’ll lose audio so it’s not really an ideal solution.
Is there a PS4 app for Discord?
No, at the time of writing there is no native app for Discord on the PlayStation app store.
Can I link my PS4 account to Discord?
Not officially, and not like you can with PC and Xbox. There are third-party apps available that make this claim which may be worth checking out.
Chat over Discord While Enjoying Your Favorite PlayStation 4 Games
With these steps, you can play your favorite PlayStation 4 games while using Discord at the same time. The setup might take a bit longer, but it will be worth it.
This method will have to suffice until the official PlayStation 4 version of the app comes to life.
Have you managed to set everything up? Which headset and MixAmp are you using? Tell us in the comments below.