How to Remove an Account from the Instagram iPhone or Android App
If you decide to take a break from social media networks, you might want to know how to remove your Instagram account from the app. Bear in mind that this is different than deleting your Instagram account. You are essentially removing it from your phone or tablet. Luckily, Instagram removal is a relatively straightforward process.
This article provides you with a detailed, step-by-step guide on removing your Instagram account from your iPhone or Android Instagram app.
How to Remove an Instagram Account from the iPhone App
Removing an account from the Instagram app on iPhone is simple and only takes a few steps. Instagram allows you to have up to five accounts and switch among them without logging out. You can easily remove one of the accounts from the phone at any time.
As previously mentioned, It’s important to note that removing an Instagram account isn’t the same as deleting it. It won’t show up on your phone anymore when you remove it, but you can still log back in anytime you want. Also, other people can still see your account once you remove it from your profile, mainly because the account is still active.
If you have one or more Instagram accounts on your iPhone and you want to remove one, follow the steps below:
- Open the “Instagram” app.
- Make sure you’re currently on the account that you want to log out of.
- Tap your “profile” icon in the bottom-right corner.
- Tap the “hamburger” icon (three horizontal lines) in the top-right corner.
- Select “Settings.”
- Choose “Log Out.”
- Select “Log Out” again to confirm.
- Even though you’ve logged out of your account, it will be there the next time you open the app again. This occurs due to enabled saved login information, which you need to remove as well. Open the Instagram app on your iPhone.
- Ensure you’re currently in the account you want to remove.
- Tap the “profile icon” in the bottom-right corner, not the big one towards the top.
- Select the “hamburger icon” in the top-right corner.
- Choose “Settings.”
- Tap on “Security.”
- Choose “Saved Login Info.”
- Move the “Saved Login Info” slider button to turn it off.
By following the steps listed above, you ensure that Instagram doesn’t remember the account info on your device. Now, you can repeat the steps mentioned above to log out.
As previously mentioned, your Instagram account is now removed from your device but remains an active account. Therefore, you can log back in anytime by entering your username and password again. Regardless, people can still search for your Instagram profile and view it when you delete it from your smartphone because you still have the account.
How to Remove an Instagram Account from the Android App
If you have one or more Instagram accounts on your Android Instagram app and you want to remove one, follow the steps below:
- Open the “Instagram” app.
- Confirm that you’re currently on the account that you want to log out of.
- Tap your “profile icon” in the bottom-right corner.
- Tap the “hamburger icon” at the top-right corner.
- Choose “Settings” and then select “Log Out.”
- Confirm the action by tapping on “Log Out.”
- Even though you logged out from one of your accounts, it still appears on your Instagram. This is due to enabled saved login information. To remove the account from your Instagram app (not your account), launch the app.
- Check if you’re currently in the account you want to remove.
- Tap the “profile icon” at the bottom-right corner, not the profile icon towards the top.
- Tap the “hamburger icon” (three horizontal lines) at the top-right corner.
- Choose “Settings.”
- Select “Security.”
- Tap on “Saved Login Info.”
- Move the “Saved Login Info” slider to turn it off.
- Confirm the action to remove your account on your Instagram app by selecting “Remove.”
How to Temporarily Disable an Instagram Account
If you want more than just removing an Instagram account from your smartphone app, you can take a temporary break from Instagram altogether by disabling it. This action disables your Instagram account entirely, which means it will hide your profile, photos, comments, likes, etc. until you log back in on any device.
To temporarily disable your Instagram account, you have to log in using a computer or a mobile browser.
- Open a browser on your smartphone or PC and head to the Instagram login page. Log into the account you want disabled. If already logged into a different account, sign out and sign into the correct one.
- Tap/click on your “profile icon” in the top-right corner.
- Choose “Profile” from the list of options.
- Tap/click on “Edit Profile” next to your username.
- Scroll down and click or tap on “Temporarily disable my account” in the bottom-right corner.
- Instagram will ask you what the reason is for disabling your account. Choose an option from the drop-down list.
- Retype your password.
- Tap or click on “Temporarily disable my account.”
Now, your existing Instagram account (not a profile on your phone) is disabled. Nobody can view your profile, posts, comments, likes, or anything related to your Instagram account until you enable it again by logging in from any device.
Instagram Account FAQs
How do I switch between Instagram Accounts in just a few clicks?
Instagram offers a variety of innovative features. Unlike many other apps, it allows you to add and switch between multiple accounts without logging in and out constantly. As long as you have logged in with each profile you own, you have this feature enabled.