iPhone XS Max – Not Receiving Calls – What to Do
Being unable to receive calls can be quite unsettling. The problem might be caused by a variety of issues, ranging from wrong phone settings to software and hardware malfunction. Sometimes the problem might be with the carrier. Here are some of the most common issues and how to solve them.
Check Airplane Mode Settings
It often happens that the Airplane mode issues prevent your iPhone XS Max from receiving calls. It is thus advisable to turn it on and off again. It might also happen that you have turned it on by mistake. In both cases, you will need to check your Airplane Mode settings. Here’s how to do it:
- Tap on the “Settings” icon on your Home screen to launch the app.
- Select the “Airplane Mode” tab.
- If Airplane mode is active, deactivate it by tapping the slider switch. If Airplane mode is not active, turn it on by tapping the slider. Count to five and tap the slider once more to turn it off.
Alternatively, swipe up on your Home screen and tap the Airplane icon to toggle Airplane mode on/off.
Check Do Not Disturb Settings
Sometimes, instead of Airplane mode, it is more convenient to use Do Not Disturb mode. It is a silent mode, recommended for situations where you want your phone to remain active but completely quiet. If you see a crescent moon icon on your phone’s status bar, it means that the phone is in Do Not Disturb mode. Here’s how to fix it:
- Tap the “Settings” app icon on the Home screen.
- Tap the “Do Not Disturb” tab.
- Next, if the mode is active, tap the slider switch next to its name to toggle it off.
There’s another way to turn it off.
- Swipe up on your Home screen.
- Once the Control Center launches, tap the “Crescent Moon” icon.
Check Call Forwarding Settings
Another common reason why you can’t receive calls is the active call forwarding mode. If it is active on your phone, you should see a small phone icon with an arrow pointing away from it at the top of the screen. To deactivate it, follow these simple steps:
- Tap the “Settings” app icon on the Home screen of your phone.
- Scroll down and tap the “Phone” tab.
- Once in the “Phone” menu, tap the “Call Forwarding” tab.
- Finally, tap the slider switch to toggle call forwarding off.
Check Your SIM Card
If none of the previous three methods yielded results and you’re still unable to receive calls, it is a good idea to check your SIM card. It might be physically damaged or simply installed in an incorrect way. Whatever the case may be, you should remove and reinsert the card.
Contact Your Mobile Carrier
Contacting your carrier might be a good idea at this point. It is possible that they might be experiencing network issues. Other than that, it might happen that your account hasn’t been set up properly or that it is blocked due to billing issues.
The solutions and troubleshooting methods explained above should be enough to resolve the majority of call reception issues. If the problems persist, it is highly advisable to contact Apple Support.