How to Download & Use Kik on your Windows 10 PC
As you’re probably aware, there are a bunch of messaging applications out there for mobile devices and desktop use. Ones we’ve discussed before (like Telegram and WhatsApp) require a user’s mobile phone number to use them. This is where Kik messenger differs.
Usually known as just Kik, you can sign up for a messaging account with an email address (but must be at least thirteen years old to use it). It can even sync up with your contacts lists from some other messenger apps if you have more than one installed on the same device.
Kik is available for iOS, Android, Windows mobile phones, and Amazon devices. If you’re looking for cross-platform messaging—such as from your mobile device to your desktop PC—it can get done with a little bit of work on your end of things.
You may want to access and use Kik on your PC, or maybe Kik is just your preferred messaging application and you want to use it from your desktop or laptop. So hey, why not; most other chat and messaging applications already have this feature readily available.
If you’ve not already got Kik installed on your mobile device of choice, you’ll want to do that first. This way, your account and login information is all set up and you’re ready to rock once we get to the point of installing and using the Kik application from your PC.
Get Kik on your Mobile Device
So, the first thing you’ll want to do is download and install Kik on your mobile device and get your account set up. Follow these steps:
- Go to Google Play, the Apple app store, Windows store, or Amazon’s app store to get the Kik messaging application. Don’t worry, it’s free.
- After it’s downloaded and installed, open the Kik app. Then, tap on the sign-up button to create your Kik account. Enter all the required information and make a Kik Username.
- Next, you’ll see the Kik welcome screen, and you’re going to have the option to “Find Friends” or select “Not Now.” This is purely your decision. Kik sends you an instant message welcoming you aboard and thanking you for using their app.
- The message you’ve received from the Kik Team lets you know that if you’ve got any questions, you can just message them back and they’ll try to help you to the best of their ability.
- Kik prompts you to set a profile picture, so go ahead and do that. We like Bitmoji, which you have the option of using for your profile picture, which is cool.
Now that you’re all set up with the Kik messaging application from your mobile device, let’s get into how you’re going to get and install Kik on your PC.
Install BlueStacks – Android Emulator
You’ll be able to use Kik messenger from a PC by using an Android emulator. To download BlueStacks navigate to the BlueStacks download website.
While there are plenty of emulators available for download, this may become your new go-to emulator on your PC because it allows you full access to not only Kik messenger but loads of other Android applications as well.
- Download and install the Android emulator, on your PC. We’re using Windows 10, but it’s also available for Windows 7 and 8. It’s compatible with Mac as well, for OS X 10.8 or later.
- Once BlueStacks is downloaded, double-click on the file to install it to your computer. You’ll see the progress of the installation on your PC’s screen.
- After the installation process has finished, open the BlueStacks emulator on your desktop.
- Then, you’ll need to have your account information handy to sign into your Google account. You’re going to click on “Google Play Store,” much as you would to install a new app on your mobile device.
- Next, you’ll be directed to sign into your existing Google account, or create one if you haven’t already. Go through the sign-in procedures and acceptance of Google Play’s terms and so forth. Then, you should be in the Google Play Store. Unsurprisingly, it looks roughly the same as it does when you access it on a mobile device, just larger.
Install Kik in BlueStacks on Your PC
Now we’re going to open BlueStacks and get the Kik messaging application. Click on the Google Play Store to get the Kik app.
- In the search bar at the top of the Google Play Store, type “Kik.” The application should show up first in your search results—click on it.
- You’ll now be on the page to install the Kik messaging app. Click on the green “Install” button.
- The installation process will be displayed on your desktop screen, within BlueStacks.
- When Kik has gotten installed, it’ll appear as the Kik app does on your mobile device. You’ll need to use the login information we used to get you set up with Kik when we installed it on your mobile device.
- After you log into Kik, you’ll see your Kik messenger just as you would from an Android device or phone. You can still use the Kik application on your PC, even if you’ve downloaded and set it up on iOS, a Windows phone, or an Amazon mobile device. Your account information to log into Kik is all you need.
The Kik messaging application is now accessible from either your mobile device or by installing the Android emulator on your PC. Enjoy using Kik right from the comfort of your desktop or laptop PC. At the time of this writing, Kik doesn’t offer a Web or downloadable application for computer operating systems, so your best bet is the method we’ve used in this post.
We hope this method of using the Kik messaging application is a successful experience for you. As long as you’ve followed our instructions, you shouldn’t have any issues. Then again, stranger things can happen. Please let us know if you’ve experienced any trouble or run into complications.