How to Delete Your Kik Account [September 2021]
Kik is a free messaging service that makes it easy to stay connected with your friends and family.
If you’ve decided to delete your Kik account, it’s important to note that, even if you cancel your Kik account, it isn’t shut down for good. This is just a temporary deactivation that allows you to re-open your account if you so choose.
However, if you want to permanently delete your account and information, you’ll have to take a few extra steps.
Follow along to learn how to permanently delete your Kik account and personal information.
How to Permanently Delete Your Kik Account
If you permanently delete your Kik account, you will lose access to all your chat data, friend details, and username. You will not be able to register later using the same username once you delete your account. So, before following these steps, be sure to transfer any information or account details that you don’t want to lose forever.
Once you decide to delete your Kik account for good, follow these steps to do so:
- Visit the Kik Delete Page↗ from a web browser.
2. Complete the “Username” and “Email” sections, then choose a reason for permanently deleting your Kik account. Add optional details in the “Additional info…” box, then check the box below it. Click on “Go!” to delete.
3. Check your email and click on “Permanently Delete,” which is found at the bottom of the email.
How to Delete Your Child’s Kik Account
As a parent, you want your child to enjoy the benefits of the internet without the pitfalls.
If you want to stop your child from using Kik, you can also request that their account be deactivated. You will need to know the email address your child uses to make this work, though.
The Kik support website links you to the regular deactivation help page when clicking to get help on removing your child’s Kik account. So, it is possible you can use the same steps for your child’s Kik as you do for yours, but this is not guaranteed.
A fail-safe way to delete your child’s account is to send an email using the steps below.
- Email [email protected]↗ with the subject line ‘‘Parent Inquiry.”
- In the message, specify the reason for clarification purposes, then list your child’s Kik username, email, and optionally, their age.
- Kik’s customer services will contact you via email with instructions to delete your child’s account.
How to Find Your Child’s Kik Account Username
If you want to permanently delete your child’s Kik account but don’t have the username, you can find it by using the steps below.
- Open the Kik app on your child’s device. It MUST be their device or you’ll delete all their messages using a new device.
- Tap the “cog icon” (settings) in the upper right-hand corner within the Kik app.
- Select “Settings,” and you will see their “Display Name” at the top. Their username will be directly underneath and will appear in a gray color.
How to Delete a Kik Account Without Email
If you’ve forgotten the email account and the username, you will not have access to Kik and will be unable to delete the account.
Temporarily Deactivate Your Kik Account
To deactivate your Kik account for a short period, you can visit the Kik Deactivate Account Page from any web browser. You can’t remove your account using the app.
- Head to the Kik Deactivation Page↗.
- Type in your email address, then click “Go.”
- Check your email and follow the link that Kik sends you, then click “Deactivate.”
By temporarily deactivating your account, you can easily reactivate it in the future by logging in again.
Common Kik Deactviation FAQs
What can I do if someone is harassing me on Kik?
You can block or report another user by visiting their account page. If the other person is using abusive language, spamming, or otherwise violating TikTok’s terms of service send a report. Reports on Kik are anonymous and the other user will never know who sent the alert. It is a good idea to take screenshots of the messages and content just in case Kik’s support team wants more information or proof.
Does Kik notify me if someone takes a screenshot?
Unfortunately, unlike Snapchat and other messaging services, Kik does not tell you if someone takes a screenshot. Even with screenshot notifications you can’t get an image back once someone captures it. It’s for that reason you should be weary of sending any images you don’t want shared to any person online.
Is Kik safe to use for teens?
As with any networking site, there are risks with Kik. Many users and watchdog websites advise against using Kik for younger audiences. Kik allows users to communicate with unknown individuals all over the world.
What happens to my username when I delete my account?
When you permanently delete your Kik account, your username is also permanently deleted. Of course, another user could eventually sign up with your username, but as far as your account is concerned the username will disappear from all of your contacts’ view.
Can I get my Kik account back once it’s deleted?
No, once you permanently delete your Kik account, it can’t be reinstated. Also, your username can’t be used again for a new account. You’ll have to use a different username and e-mail address. There isn’t any known way of getting your contacts back either. Therefore, a temporary deactivation is your best option.
What Happens When You Delete Your Account?
When you’ve completed the steps to delete your kik account, it will no longer be available. This means your account will not be found by the username or email address on Kik.
When you permanently deactivate your account, it may take a few days for all traces to disappear. People with who you’ve interacted in the past may still be able to access your profile and conversations for a short while—until their device clears the old cache.