Lenovo Webcam Not Working – What You Can Do
There is a known issue on some Lenovo laptops where the webcam doesn’t work. The webcam itself is either not detected by Windows, or there’s a glitch with the device driver. Of course, this can be a very frustrating issue and isn’t just limited to Lenovo products.
The cause of this problem stems from an issue with a setting in some Lenovo laptops that disables the camera for the privacy of the laptop user. In this case, fixing your webcam should be pretty easy to do. If you’re not so lucky, you may have some updating or tweaking to do to get your webcam to work.
No worries, though. We’ll show you what you need to do to fix some common issues you might run into with your Lenovo webcam.
How to fix the Lenovo Webcam
The first fix for the Lenovo webcam not working is within the Lenovo app itself. Hit the F8 key on your laptop keyboard, which will enable or disable the Lenovo EasyCamera.
If that doesn’t work, try following these steps to fix your webcam:
Adjust Your Privacy Settings to Fix Your Lenovo Webcam
- Type Camera into the Windows Search box and select Camera privacy settings.
- Toggle the Allow apps to access your camera toggle switch to On.
- Retest your camera.
This privacy setting is designed to protect you from hackers but can be inconvenient when you need to use your webcam.
If the above solution doesn’t work, we have a few more simple solutions that may get your webcam working again.
These fixes also will work on any Windows computer having issues with its webcam — not just Lenovos.
Use the Device Manager to Fix Your Lenovo Webcam
Is the webcam enabled in Device Manager?
Follow these steps to check:
- Right-click the Windows Start button and select Device Manager.
- Select Imaging Devices, then Lenovo EasyCamera. If there is a yellow warning triangle by the icon, there is an issue with it. If there is a small down arrow by it, the camera has been disabled.
- Right-click the Lenovo EasyCamera and make sure there is no option to Enable device. If the camera is enabled already, the option should be to Disable device.
If the camera is already enabled, you may as well update the driver.
Follow these steps to do so:
- Right-click the Lenovo EasyCamera again and select Update driver.
- Select the automatic option to see if Windows can find a fresh driver.
- Allow it to install and retest.
If Windows cannot find the driver, visit this page on the Lenovo site for the latest Lenovo EasyCamera driver.
If a driver update doesn’t work, it may be worth trying a complete refresh. That means uninstalling the driver, rebooting the laptop, and installing the new driver from the link above.
Legacy settings can remain in play even when overwritten by a newer driver.
Check the Program Settings to Fix Your Lenovo Webcam
If your webcam works in some programs and not in others, it may be the program settings and not the camera settings causing the problem.
Just follow these two steps to check:
- Open the program in question and find the Settings menu option.
- Make sure the Lenovo EasyCamera is set to be the default camera in those settings.
This may be an obvious solution, but it’s worth trying if you’re having trouble getting your webcam to work.
Remove the Lenovo Settings App to Fix Your Lenovo Webcam
If none of those solutions work, you could remove the Lenovo Settings app altogether in case it is interfering. This shouldn’t be necessary, but if nothing else works, you have nothing to lose.
Most of the settings within the app are controllable from within Windows anyway, so you’re not damaging the laptop in any way.
To remove the Lenovo Settings app, follow these four steps:
- Navigate to Control Panel in Windows.
- Under Programs, select Uninstall a program.
- Select Lenovo Settings Dependency Package from the list and select Uninstall.
- Reboot your laptop and retest.
Hopefully, after following these steps, your webcam will be working again.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can I allow access to certain apps while denying access to others?
Yes. If you have one app that just won’t access the camera, you can follow the steps to access your camera’s privacy settings.
1. Scroll down to Choose which Microsoft Store apps can access your camera.
2. Toggle on or off any apps you do or do not want to use the camera.
This may not work for any third-party applications downloaded from other sources, but it may help you to get your camera working or protect your privacy.
My camera is blurry; what can I do to fix this?
1. If the image from your camera is blurry, but it is still working, first clean the lens. Dust and debris can cause image quality issues.
2. Next, check for any system updates. If your computer (specifically the camera) isn’t up to date, you may be missing drivers after a past update. Performing a new update should help.
3. If you are still having quality issues with your camera, check that your Antivirus software isn’t blocking the camera from performing properly.
You can also scan your hardware changes.
1. Simply visit the device manager on your Lenovo computer and click the camera option.
2. From here, use the Action menu to select Scan for hardware changes.
3. Once the scan is complete, restart your computer and test the camera.
If your Lenovo EasyCamera still doesn’t work after all of these steps, I suggest raising a support call with tech support. They will be able to help you find the solution to fix the camera on your specific device.
If replacing the driver, enabling the camera, and removing the Lenovo app doesn’t fix it, there is something seriously wrong, so don’t waste any time!
Have you experienced any problems with your Lenovo webcam? How did you resolve the problem? Please comment below.