How to Make the Background Transparent in Canva
If you regularly work with images, you’re probably familiar with Canva. It’s one of the most popular graphic design tools today. If you want to leave a watermark on your photo, design material for a company, or feel inspired to create something for yourself, you can make your image stand out by adding layers. Keep reading this article, and you’ll learn how to make a background transparent in Canva and add a professional touch to your photos with just a few clicks.
With a transparent background, you can combine different images and designs. You can create a professional-looking image in a few easy steps. Canva allows you to play with transparency levels to make your work unique and eye-catching.
Whether designing an image for yourself or somebody else, a transparent background will help you stand out from the crowd. Your image won’t look cluttered and messy but professional and attractive.
By adding transparency to your background, you can emphasize and draw attention to different parts of the image.
How to Make a Transparent Background in a Canva Project
Canva offers a free version you can use to design anything you want and has various free templates for you to try out. However, if you want to make a transparent background in Canva, you’ll have to sign up for the premium service.
You can choose between Canva Pro or Canva Enterprise. Canva Pro is for teams that work on growing and expanding a business. You can use it for free for the first 30 days, but you have to purchase a subscription after that. Canva Enterprise is for large organizations with a minimum of 20 users. You can request a demo on Canva’s website to check it out.
Let’s go back to the steps on how to make a transparent background:
- Make sure you are logged in to your Canva account.
- Choose the image you want to work on.
- Now you need to remove the background layer or color of your image. Tap Effect at the top corner of your toolbar. Tap Background remover. Now that you’ve removed the background layer, you can make your design transparent.
- Tap the download icon in the top-right corner.
- You should now choose the file type of your image. Make sure PNG is selected; otherwise, you won’t be able to have a transparent background.
- Under Pro options, you’ll see a checkbox next to Transparent background. Mark the checkbox. If you don’t, your image will have a white background.
- Tap Download.
How to Make the Background of an Existing Image Transparent
Even though they sound so similar, making the background of an image transparent and making the background transparent are not the same thing. In this case, you’re adjusting the background of your image, usually to make your text stand out in the front.
- Open Canva.
- Choose the image you’re working with.
- Tap on the background image.
- Tap the checkerboard icon at the top-right corner of the image. That’s the transparency button. You’ll see a slider going from 0 to 100.
- Drag the slider according to your preferences. If you want to increase transparency, drag it towards 0. If you want to increase opacity, drag it towards 100.
- Tap Download.
How to Make an Object Transparent
If you’re combining more images into one or adding a text box to an image, you’re likely to make at least one of them transparent to create a better effect. Here is how you can do this:
- Select the image or text box you want to make transparent.
- You’ll see a menu pop up next to the image. On the right of the menu, you’ll see an arrow, and by tapping it, you’ll have access to additional options. Tap Transparency.
- Adjust the transparency slider.
- Now that you’ve set the transparency level of your object, you can continue working on your design or download it.
How to Use an Image With Transparent Background in Canva?
Once you’ve set a transparent background to your image, you can use it to layer it over other images. If you’re creating a company logo or adding a watermark to your design, you’ll use it often. Upload the image back to Canva and attach it on top of an image or design of your preference.
Benefits of Playing With Transparency
Creating and using an image with a transparent background can have multiple beneficial effects:
- You’re simplifying a background where there’s a lot going on – A background that stands out can be very effective, but it can often look cluttered and make your text unreadable. In this case, you can decide to make the background of your image transparent to make the text pop up.
- Emphasize text – You can add more than one background layer and adjust transparency levels to make the text more visible. Playing with colors and levels of brightness, along with transparency, can do wonders for your design.
- Create a clean, minimalist design – Adding transparency to the background of your image can give a sense of simplicity to your designs. If the layout isn’t “busy” and the text is clear, you can achieve a minimalist style of the image. Depending on the topic of your design, this can be a great tool when your designs revolve around nature, light, sun, etc.
- Draw attention to certain parts of your design – By playing with layers and transparency, you can turn your viewers’ attention to a particular part of your design. You can create windows and cutouts or add transparent objects for your viewers to look through. Adding different colors, shapes, and brightness will also make your design stand out from the crowd.
- Add textures to your design – You can play with different textures while adjusting the level of transparency of your design. This will help you achieve a great visual effect and attract viewers.
- Add color with transparency – Adding transparency to your design allows you to play with colors, too. You can add a gradient background that emphasizes a text or an object, bold colors to draw attention, or combine different colors.
- Add different blending effects – You can have a sharp edge between transparent and non-transparent objects, a soft transition between the two, or different transparency levels of objects.
- Branding with designs – You can set a style for a brand by using a specific level of transparency for multiple designs. This will make the brand easily recognizable.
Frequently Asked Questions
Here is the answer to more of your questions about creating the perfect work of art in Canva.
Why use a transparent background instead of white background?
Although they may look the same across different applications, a white background on your image will pop up if you try to layer it over another one. This can often be distracting (unless the other image is also white). If you’re adding a company logo or a watermark to your design, it’s best to have a transparent background. That way, your logo/watermark will still be noticeable, but it won’t draw too much attention.
Tip: When you’re downloading a design, and you want a transparent background, always make sure the Transparent background checkbox is marked. If not, your image will be saved with a white background, so make sure the checkbox is always marked, and always double-check your work before submitting it.
Where can I find Canva designs with transparent backgrounds?
Canva offers thousands of free or paid designs with transparent backgrounds you can add to your own design and download. If you want to try out some of the templates, follow these steps:
1. Open Canva.
2. Tap the search bar on the left-hand side.
3. Type what you’re looking for or browse through designs.
4. Tap the design you like.
5. Tap Download at the top-right corner.
6. Under File Type, make sure PNG is selected.
7. Make sure the checkbox next to Transparent background is marked.
8. Tap Download.
Design Like a Pro With Canva
Now you’ve learned how to make backgrounds transparent in Canva. It’s a simple tool that can make your designs pop. If you want to add layers to your designs, create a company logo, add a watermark, and much more, Canva will be a great fit for you. With just a few clicks, you’ll be able to create a design that will stand out from the crowd.
Do you often use Canva? How frequently do you use the transparency feature to make your design interesting? Tell us in the comment section below.