How to Join with Meeting ID in Microsoft Teams
To offer versatility to its users and to enhance security, Microsoft Teams keeps adding to the ways of joining a meeting. One of the latest methods introduced is joining a meeting with an ID. Each meeting created on Microsoft Teams receives a unique identifier (UID), a numeric ID, and an alphanumeric passcode that acts as a password. This makes it easy to join the meeting without a link.
If you’ve never joined a meeting using an ID, you are in the right place. In this article, we’ll discuss how to join Teams meeting with an ID on a desktop, access portal, and mobile.
How to Join a Microsoft Teams Meeting with a Meeting ID
Using a meeting ID may be necessary when joining a Teams meeting as a guest or when you don’t have access to the meeting link. From the organizer’s side, a meeting ID enhances meeting security by ensuring only authorized persons attend. This reduces meeting disruptions, protects sensitive information, and maintains the integrity of the meeting.
Usually, when you receive a meeting invitation via email, you’ll find a section with a meeting ID and, beneath it, a passcode. These two work together, and they are unique to a single meeting. Once that meeting is over, you can’t use that ID again.
There are three ways of joining a Teams meeting using a meeting ID, as discussed below.
Joining Microsoft Teams Meeting with Meeting ID from Desktop App
The prerequisite for using this method is to have a Microsoft Teams app on your PC or a Microsoft Teams account. If you don’t have a Microsoft Teams account or the app on your PC, you can create one and download the app, as explained in the section below.
To create a Microsoft Teams account, do the following:
- Go to microsoftteams.com on your browser and click the “Account icon” in the top right of the screen.
- On the sign-in page, click the “Create one” link.
- Enter your email and follow the on-screen prompts to set your password and provide your details.
- Finally, verify your email and your account will be ready.
With your Microsoft Teams account ready, you can use these steps to download the desktop app.
- Browse microsoftteams.com and click the “Download Teams” hyperlink in the top right corner.
- On the page that opens, tap “Download for desktop.”
- Once the download is complete, click it and follow the instructions to install it. You’ll now be able to open the Teams app on your desktop.
To join a Teams meeting on the app, using C, use these steps:
- Use the Windows search bar at the bottom of your screen to browse the Notepad app or any other app you use to take notes and tap it to open.
- Go to your meeting invitation, and copy the “Meeting ID and passcode.” Paste the two on the notepad.
- Open your Microsoft Teams desktop app or go to microsoftteams.com and log in to your account.
- Tap “Calendar” on the left sidebar menu.
- At the top right of the calendar window, click “Join with ID.”
- Go to your notepad, copy the meeting ID, and paste it into the meeting ID field. Do the same for the passcode.
- Click “Join now” to access the meeting.
Joining Microsoft Teams Meeting with ID from the Access Portal
If you don’t want to install Microsoft Teams app for any reason, such as low storage space, joining your meeting from the access portal is the most convenient way. What you need is a browser to access the Microsoft Teams website where you can join the meeting as follows:
- Open Notepad or any other app you use to take notes.
- Go to your meeting invitation link, copy the meeting invitation link and passcode, and paste them on your notes.
- Open the Microsoft Access portal on your web browser.
- Return to your notes and copy the meeting ID. Paste it into the upper box in the access portal. Copy the passcode, too, and paste it into the bottom box in the access portal.
- Tap “Join a meeting” at the bottom. A window will open, allowing you to join the meeting on your browser or Teams app.
- Select whichever option suits you and click “Join now” to access the meeting.
Joining Microsoft Teams Meeting with ID from Android aAnd iOS
Being able to join a meeting with ID from your mobile phone is convenient because you can join the meeting even if you don’t have laptop access. While using this method, you might need to write the meeting ID and passcode somewhere because if you exit the app to confirm the meeting details, you might need to restart the process again.
Here is how you join a meeting with ID using your mobile phone:
- If you don’t have a Microsoft Teams app, download it first. Go to Google Play Store on Android and
download the app. For an iOS phone, go to App Store and download it.
- After downloading Microsoft Teams, log in and tap the Calendar icon at the bottom right of the screen.
- Tap the Meeting icon in the top right corner. This opens a window with two options: “Meet now” and “Join with a meeting ID.” Tap the latter.
- On the top box, enter the meeting ID and the passcode on the bottom one.
- Select “Join meeting” to access the meeting.
Joining a Microsoft Teams Meeting with ID vs. Link
Like a meeting ID, links provide more than one method of joining a meeting. Being able to use the web browser and Teams desktop and mobile app for both methods increases the chances of you not missing a meeting. Also, both a meeting ID and link land you at the same meeting. However, the two differ in the following aspects:
- Joining procedure: A meeting with ID requires manually entering the ID and passcode. Conversely, joining with a link, you only need to click the link without providing additional information.
- Security: Both methods are secure because it’s difficult for bad agents to crash a meeting link or ID. However, a meeting ID provides an extra layer of security by using a passcode instead of the ID alone.
- Flexibility for Meeting Changes: In the event of last-minute changes to the meeting link or access, participants with the meeting ID can still join the meeting without relying on a new link.
Where can I find the meeting ID for a Teams meeting?
Look for your meeting ID in the invitation sent by the meeting organizer. You can find the link for the meeting invitation in your Teams calendar, email, or chat messages. The meeting ID appears below the meeting link.
Do I strictly need a Teams account to join a meeting with ID?
You can join a Teams meeting with a meeting ID without having a Teams account using the portal and continue the meeting with a browser. However, some meeting organizers may require participants to sign in with a Teams account for security purposes.
Can I recycle the meeting ID for different meetings?
You can only use the meeting ID once because it acts as a specific code to identify and access that particular meeting. For a subsequent meeting, you’ll need a new meeting ID.
Ready Your Teams Meeting ID
Apart from links, Microsoft Teams invitation also includes a meeting ID and a passcode unique to that meeting. You can join a meeting with or without an account using the three ways above. Also, there’s no device restriction—you can use your phone or laptop.
Have you joined a Teams meeting with an ID before? Did you encounter any challenges in the process? Tell us in the comment section below.