How to Make a Gallery Smaller in Notion
Notion is a great productivity app that can be used by anybody craving a little more organization. The app is handy for students, business workers, or anyone who needs some visual structure in their day-to-day lives.
Among the various features that come with Notion, there’s an option for people to create their own galleries. It allows users to approach Notion as a sort of visual library. In doing so, you can hold all of your information in an image-based format, which may be easier for some users.
Galleries on Notion allow users to design image-centered information that they can present in an aesthetically pleasing way. Notion users worldwide use the gallery database for many reasons, including creating mood boards, recipe boxes, visual business portfolios, and more.
Sometimes, though, those visual idea boards can grow out of control. In this article, we’ll be looking into how to minimize the size of your Gallery in Notion.
Keep on reading to find out more.
How to Make a Gallery Smaller in Notion
The first thing you’ll notice about using Notion is that it allows you to create and organize pages in various ways. Creative freedom reigns supreme for users who want to organize every minute detail of their work or daily life clearly and coherently.
Your Gallery displays all your added items in the form of cards with images on them. When a card is selected, it takes the user to that specific card’s Notion page. To create a Gallery in Notion, here’s what you need to do:
- On Notion, open the page you wish to use for your Gallery.
- In the text box, type in “
- Choose either “Inline” or “full-page,” depending on if you would like the Gallery to have its very own page or be a part of an existing one.
- If all goes well, your Gallery block should appear.
It’s also important to note that Notion is available on all platforms and devices. However, editing may be slightly easier to do on a PC than on a smartphone or tablet.
Essentially, the way your Gallery looks is all down to personal preference. Some users may prefer a smaller Gallery to make their work visually pleasing and simpler to access. To make the cards on your Gallery smaller, you need to access the customizing tools. Size your Gallery your tastes with these steps:
- In the top-right corner of your Gallery page, you’ll see an ellipsis icon (…). Click on this to view your menu options.
- Select “Properties.”
- The Properties menu will then present you with a list of parameters that you can adjust or change, including options for “Card Preview,” “Fit Image,” and “Card Size,” amongst others.
One way of minimalizing your Gallery is to select the “Card Preview” option. From there, you will be presented with three courses of action:
- None – This option is for if you wish for no images to come up in your Gallery view.
- Page Cover – This option shows only the page cover as the main image in Gallery view.
- Page Content – This function picks the first image in your card body for viewing.
In short, the “Card Preview” option allows users to get a sense of how they want their layout to look while also giving the option of a more minimalist approach.
Another way of making your Gallery smaller is to head back to “Properties” and select the “Card Size” option. If you’re after a sleek, simple look, then this may be the way forward for you. To use this function and successfully resize your image cards, here’s what you need to do:
- Select “Card Size” from the Properties menu.
- You will then be given three options: “Small,” “Medium,” or “Large.”
- The default setting for your Notion Gallery is “Medium.” To make your Gallery appear smaller, choose the “Small” option to size down from the default setting.
Once you’ve chosen to shrink your card size, the next step is to rescale the image in the cards to fit the viewing card. To do this, follow these steps:
- Head to the Properties menu and select “Fit Image,” located directly beneath “Card Size.”
- Next to “Fit Image,” you’ll need to click on the toggle to switch on the ability to move your image within the card.
- When the toggle is blue, this means that the function is turned on.
- You can then click and drag the image until you are satisfied with the result.
To give your Gallery even more minimalist appeal, you may want to consider switching off the viewing tags on your Gallery cards. In doing so, you are clearing more space in your overall Gallery viewing experience and giving the page a trimmer look.
Switching off viewing tags is as simple as flipping a few toggles. To get started, go back to your Properties menu. Beneath where it says “Fit Image,” you’ll see a bunch of options with toggles beside them. These include “Name,” “Creator,” “Date Created,” and “Tags.”
By default, each of these properties is shown beneath your image cards. To turn off this feature to only see the image, switch all the toggles off. If the toggles are no longer blue, this means you were successful in doing so.
Less Is More
Choosing to present work in an image-based format is becoming more and more popular. Many marketing companies and businesses are choosing to ditch text for images to reach their audiences differently. And it isn’t just businesses that are jumping aboard this image-centric trend.
The Galleries function in the Notion app is an excellent tool for displaying information in an image-based manner. Many people use this function to create mood boards, idea boards for business, image-based tutorials, and more.
The great thing about Notion is that it’s all about creating a system that best suits the individual’s needs. By refining your gallery size, you’ll be able to design a system that is not only aesthetically pleasing but also perhaps easier to navigate.
Do you use Notion? Have you tried to organize your Gallery by making it smaller? We’d love to hear about your experiences. Don’t hesitate to share your thoughts in the comment section below.
Disclaimer: Some pages on this site may include an affiliate link. This does not effect our editorial in any way.