How to Turn Subtitles On or Off on Peacock TV
Peacock TV, previously known as NBCUniversal, has some of the best TV shows, movies, and live content. Subscribers can binge on Law & Order and keep track of some Peacock TV originals, such as Rutherford Falls.
But have you ever tried watching a movie and the traffic outside is too loud, or someone is making noise in the kitchen? Of course, it happens. That’s when the subtitles come in handy.
The good news is that Peacock TV provides subtitles and closed captioning across all available platforms. Managing subtitles on Peacock TV is straightforward, and we’ll guide you through all the steps.
Peacock TV: Subtitles vs. Closed Captioning
Before we take a closer look at how subtitles work on Peacock TV, we need to address the term “closed captioning.” Peacock TV’s official Help page uses “subtitles” and “closed captioning” interchangeably.
However, even though they are very similar, there is an important distinction. Basically, subtitles assume that you can hear the audio but require the dialog in text form for better comprehension.
On the other hand, closed captioning includes descriptions of on-screen background noises and audio cues to an audience that can’t hear the audio. In the context of Peacock TV, English subtitles are available for all their content, whether the audio is in English or another language.
That applies across all devices compatible with Peacock TV. However, closed captioning and other accessibility features are only available if the device in question has built-in options.
So, the bottom line is that you can have subtitles by default on Peacock TV and you can turn them on and off. Plus, some content is available in the Spanish language. But even though Peacock refers to subtitles as “closed captioning,” users will have to access that specific feature in other ways.
How to Turn Subtitles On or Off on Peacock TV on a PC
One of the main comparison points for streaming platforms is user-friendliness. Peacock TV subscribers are fortunate to have access to an intuitive and minimalist interface.
Therefore, you can easily find the subtitles button. If you’re watching a movie on Peacock TV on your computer browser, here’s how that works:
- On your computer, sign into your Peacock TV account via browser.
- Pick a title and start streaming.
- Move the cursor anywhere across the screen. Video playback options will appear at the bottom of the screen.
- In the bottom left corner of the browser window, click on the text bubble button. It will turn yellow when you hover over it.
- A pop-up menu will appear showing “Audio” and “Subtitles.” You can choose between “English” or “Off.” Some titles also have the option for the Spanish language.
Your selection will be applied in a maximum of 30 seconds. If it doesn’t, make sure to refresh the browser and check again.
Tip: You can turn the subtitles on or off even if you pause the video first; the changes will still apply.
How to Turn Subtitles On or Off on Peacock TV on iPhone App
The significant benefit of streaming platforms such as Peacock TV is portability. You can watch all the great content anywhere using your iPhone if you download the app from the App Store.
However, unless you’re wearing headphones, it might be challenging to keep track of the dialog. On the other hand, subtitles can occasionally be a nuisance on the screen. To turn on or off the subtitles on Peacock TV iPhone app, follow these steps:
- Launch the Peacock TV app and start the content you want to watch.
- With the tip of your finger, pull up the playback options from the bottom of the screen.
- Tap on the text bubble button and turn the subtitles on or off.
The changes will be applied in less than 30 seconds.
How to Turn Subtitles On or Off on Peacock TV on the Android App
Android users also have the benefit of enjoying the high-quality content the Peacock TV platform delivers. First, they have to download the designated app from Google Play and sign in to their account. If they want to turn on or remove subtitles, the process is pretty straightforward:
- Open the Peacock TV on an Android device and launch the content you want.
- Pull up the playback options with your finger.
- Tap on the text bubble button and turn on the subtitles or vice versa.
How to Turn Subtitles On or Off on Peacock TV on the Firestick
Many people rely on Amazon Firestick to have all their streaming services in one place. You can download Peacock TV from the Amazon App Store on the Firestick and sign in to your account.
From there, it’s easy to choose and steam popular titles. However, if you need to turn on or remove subtitles on the Peacock TV app, you’ll need to use the Firestick remote. Here’s how it works:
- When the video starts playing, press the Menu button on the remote.
- When the video playback options appear, navigate with the remote to the Subtitles icon.
- Choose the subtitle or click on the “Off” button.
The subtitles should appear soon after.
How to Turn Subtitles On or Off on Peacock TV on a Roku
Watching Peacock TV on a Roku device works the same way as in Fire TV or similar devices. Every streaming platform has internal content programming, and the same goes for Peacock TV.
With Roku devices, all you need to do is use your remote to access a specific feature, such as subtitles. Here’s how:
- Play content on the Peacock TV app on Roku.
- Press the “*” button on the Roku remote.
- Choose to turn on or off the subtitles.
How to Turn Subtitles On or Off on Peacock TV on an Apple TV
If you’re watching Peacock TV on your Apple TV, you’ll also need to use the remote to manage subtitles. Follow these quick steps:
- Click the “Select” button on your Apple TV remote. It’s the big round button in the middle.
- Your screen will show various options. You can change the audio and subtitles.
- Navigate to the “Subtitles” button with your remote and choose to turn them on or off.
How to Turn On or Off Subtitles on Peacock TV on a Smart TV
Most smart TVs support the Peacock TV app. So, it doesn’t matter if you have LG, Panasonic, or Samsung smart TV; the app’s interface will look the same. The only difference in accessing the subtitles for Peacock TV is where the “Select” or “Menu” button is located.
For example, on Samsung smart TV, the “Select” button is right in the middle of the remote, surrounded by directional navigation keys.
So, all you’d have to do is press the “Select” button and use the keys to turn on the subtitles on the playback info panel at the bottom of the screen.
The LG smart TV remote works very similarly, as it too has the “OK” button in the middle, where you can navigate to the subtitles section on Peacock TV.
Subtitles On or Off – It’s Up to You
When you’re watching a French or South Korean movie, subtitles are a must – unless, of course, you speak the language. However, even with English-speaking TV shows and movies, we sometimes need the written dialog to keep track of what’s happening.
Also, subtitles can be a peacemaker if you’re watching something late at night and don’t want to wake anyone up.
Peacock TV streaming service made the subtitle feature easy to access and manage. It doesn’t matter which device you’re using when binging “This Is Us,” subtitles are always an option if you need them.
Do you turn on subtitles when watching movies and shows? Let us know in the comments section below.